MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Why The Hate For Superman Returns?

I loved Superman Returns. It was a character piece and a damned good one - the action (or lack thereof) was secondary. It should have been the start of a new series...
Old July 9 2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Nothing wrong with a character piece at all, but it was too restrained. Perhaps that's a better choice of words than flat. The director may have been telling all his actors to dial it back and not given them a fair chance. I don't know. Man of Steel went too far in the other direction with the action. If a director and writer can get the right balance, that's gold.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I loved it too. I agree though that Kate Bosworth was very miscast. They should have used someone similar to Margot Kidder. I recently read the suggestion that that Zooey Deschanel would have been better suited.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

I didn't have a problem with Bosworth, I thought she was OK, but maybe they should have cast someone like Zooey D. who looked a little like Margot Kidder.

Mind you, I couldn't stand Margot Kidder...
Old July 9 2013, 06:59 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Man of Steel went too far in the other direction with the action. If a director and writer can get the right balance, that's gold.
That's exactly what I thought leaving the cinema after MOS.
Old July 9 2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
OK I get that Man of Steel is popular with many folks around here for assorted reasons.

What I don't get is the disdainful attitude shown towards its predecessor Superman Returns.

Yeah, Superman Returns had its faults but so did Man of Steel, but the latter seems to be getting a pass because it delivered the action fest that many fans have been craving for.

Superman Returns despite its slow pace and other problems (Lex Luthor doing the same scheme from Superman, Superman being too emoish, a bland Lois Lane, and so on), the movie had its moments and it was a far better movie than those POS Superman III and IV and considering what was attempted before it came out (Nic Cage as Superman, a JJ Abrams attempt to have Luthor be a Kryptonian), it was probably the best we would've gotten in that time period.

So ok, Superman Returns probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but why do so many people dismiss it?
My reason: The fact that whole sections were 'shot for shot' remakes of scenes from the original 1978 Superman: The Movie (which I had already seen multiple times.) I wanted to see a new/original Superman film; not a half done retread.

I LOVED kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor; (an would hope they tap him to play Luthor again in a MoS sequel if they go with Luthor as the villain); but without the 'ditzy female' and 'dumb henchman' of the 1978 and 2006 Superman outings.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Shot for shot? That is bs!
Old July 9 2013, 07:19 PM   #23
USS Firefly
Commander

I think it was a nice movie with potential, like his son.
In my opinion Routh was better as Superman/Clark than cavill.
Too bad that Routh didn't a second chance.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 07:19 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It committed the worst sin a piece of entertainment can commit: it was dull.
Old July 9 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I didn't say the entire film was; but large parts of it were.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I have no real issue with Superman Returns and I think that Routh did an excellent job of channeling Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent. I also have no burning itch to see Superman punch anything, so the so-called lack of action didn't bother me. I've heard that several times... People want to see Superman punch something. Don't know why that's such a big need for a lot of fans to be honest.

I recently read the suggestion that that Zooey Deschanel would have been better suited.
I'm glad they didn't go with her. That would have been too awesome and my head would have imploded.

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
I heard that he auditioned for Smallville. I'm sure he would have put on the glasses and the suit.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 07:43 PM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
[ Then when he finds out he has a kid and starts showing an interest in the kid he's labeled a stalker. This guy can't win.
There is a difference between "showing an interest" and hiding in your ex's bush listening into her private conversations with her boyfriend - that's not 'showing an interesting', that's just odd and creepy.

Last edited by JoeZhang; July 9 2013 at 09:12 PM.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
I didn't say the entire film was; but large parts of it were.
You are still wrong! Give me examples? Shot by Shot actually means they are exactly the same. Camera angles, everything. The only one I can think of is the last shot of him flying around the Earth.
Old July 9 2013, 09:03 PM   #29
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Yeah, actual shot-by-shot ripoffs are kind of rare.

I'm looking at you, The Clone Wars.
Old July 9 2013, 09:14 PM   #30
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
I heard that he auditioned for Smallville. I'm sure he would have put on the glasses and the suit.
Thank God that didn't happen. Being a Christopher Reeve knock-off for one movie was bad enough. Ten years of that would have been tedious.

Now, I don't hate Superman Returns, but I did find alot wrong with it. Here's my list:

1. Brandon Routh. I felt sorry for the poor guy. To this day I'm covinced that when Singer hired him, he gave Routh tapes of the Chris Reeve films, and literally told him "watch him, and do what he does". This is exactly how Routh came off in the movie. He didn't play Superman. he played Chris Reeve playing Superman.

2. Kate Bostworth, or whatever the hell her name is, is not only miscast, she's boring, and easily the worst Lois Lane we've ever had.

3. Richard. a pointless character who was there solely to add the necessary "dramatic angst" to keep Superman and Lois apart for the story.

3. The Kid. Ugh. Suddenly, every fans' bitching and moaning against having a cute kid in the story makes PERFECT sense here.

4. The callbacks and tributes to the first Donner film felt forced rather than actual tributes.

5. The soundtrack. I love John Williams' score as much as anybody and listen to my CD set alot, but this movie should have had it's own musical voice just like every other version of Superman has done.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote