Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 7 2013, 06:20 AM   #46
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG Era Uniforms

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Whats with the obsession with the TWOK flap?
It makes the uniform a bit more practical than the S3-7 uniforms and gets around the issue of the uniforms looking bad on the big screen for Generations.
Old July 7 2013, 09:10 AM   #47
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've never cared for the TNG uniforms. The VOY and DS9s were an improvement, but sadly retained the yoke.
The yoke is the trademark of the TNG-DS9-VOY era, kind of like the black V-neck on the TOS uniforms.
Old July 7 2013, 01:06 PM   #48
cheesepuff316
Lieutenant Junior Grade

(already quoted by jaygibson77)
[COLOR=#dbdbdb]http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Sta...cept-331554426[/COLOR]
These are nice. I like the ones on the right

(already quoted by C.E. Evans)
[COLOR=#dbdbdb]http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...u03_m_duty.png[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#dbdbdb]http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...14_f_duty2.png[/COLOR]
(optional female variant)

I like these also.

I think the best 'canon' uniforms are either the TNG or VOY
cheesepuff316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:31 PM   #49
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I always wondered that as well?
Old July 8 2013, 03:20 AM   #50
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

jaygibson77 wrote: View Post
I've been rewatching TNG and the uniforms are driving me crazy. The first couple seasons are okay, but Frakes always looked like he was constantly sucking his gut in. The rest of the series uniforms are better with the collars but I hated the way they poofed out. DS9's and Voyager's uniforms are a little better but then the whole gray thing comes in. Is it me, or has Trek's uniforms always looked ... unrealistic?

I know there fan-made creations out there. Just wondering if anyone have a favorite. Is there one design that looks more like a uniform and less like pajamas?
I think Frakes WAS sucking his gut in.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:54 PM   #51
JJohnson
Captain

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
It's impossible to be realistic about the future. The future isn't real yet.

I can't stand the early TNG uniforms, but the later TNG uniforms are pretty close to being my favorite. I'm the same way with the early DS9/VOY uniforms vs. the FC uniforms.

I think the best concept uniform out there is this TWOK/FC mashup:
http://sundancekat.deviantart.com/ar...form-147834713
This is a great concept! It reminds me of another person's on the uniform club's forum who did the same thing. Excellent work here, reminds me of my own TNG/WoK mix. I'd definitely like to see more 'custom' TNG era uniform concepts out there.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 04:12 PM   #52
JJohnson
Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
It makes the uniform a bit more practical than the S3-7 uniforms and gets around the issue of the uniforms looking bad on the big screen for Generations.
It's definitely more practical than a zipper on the back of a uniform like season 3-7 of TNG. And there's no magical one-piece/two-piece uniform magic like the DS9/VOY jumpsuits had on occasion.
Old July 9 2013, 04:17 PM   #53
JJohnson
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
This is my favorite fan-made TNG-era uniform.
http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...u03_m_duty.png

http://startrek-rpg.com/ccs_files/un...14_f_duty2.png
(optional female variant)
Thank you! Credit to Starscape for graciously doing the art/photoshopping for my designs. Here are a few more gathered in a gallery on Deviantart I designed.
Old July 9 2013, 04:22 PM   #54
JJohnson
Captain

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Yeah, the TMP admirals' uniform is superb too, for similar reasons. Simple, elegant, clean lines. No surprise it was basically reused in the new films.

The rest of the costumes in TMP are much maligned, the one-piece outfits especially, but I've always felt they were pretty coherent designs. I think if you made the pants black and used slightly less pastels, you'd have some very timeless costumes.
They seemed bland to me, so I guess I agree with you there. Maybe utilizing the Original Series color scheme - black pants, department color shirts (with black collar), would have improved them. Kirk's admiral uniform did look kind of nice in contrast, and the updated look in Into Darkness looked nice. The formal uniforms vs the ship uniform contrast was interesting to see in the new movie.
Old July 9 2013, 04:25 PM   #55
JJohnson
Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
TWOK uniforms were the most realistic looking ones to me. They actually looked like uniforms as opposed to fancy coveralls.
While I never rated the show, surely the Enterprise ones are the most realistic? They had pockets and everything!
The Enterprise uniforms were definitely practical and a logical step for an Earth Starfleet that likely had its basis in NASA and other Earth-oriented space agencies.
Old July 9 2013, 04:31 PM   #56
JJohnson
Captain

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I seem to be of the opposite opinion of a lot of people. I think the 2 piece TNG uniform is a decent looking uniform (that being said, the FC uniform is my favorite TNG-era uniform).

Probably the one thing that bothered me was the heartbeat stripe in the midsection. It looks too 1980s to me. It would have looked better to be straight across the midsection instead.

Now, I liked the color scheme of the DS9\VOY uniforms, but, I did not like how they looked more like a jumpsuit than a uniform. The FC uniforms fix that look. Personally, BESIDES just using the FC uniform from the beginning, if I were to design a uniform based on the TNG series uniform, I would have combined the the 2-peice TNG style with the DS9\VOY uniforms: making the uniform all black using their shoulder color scheme of the DS9\VOY uniforms.

The TNG uniform I had a problem with and a special hatred for, though, was the dress uniform that was literally a dress!!
Worf/Riker from Liaisons:
WORF: I do not see why it is necessary to wear these ridiculous uniforms.
RIKER: Protocol.
WORF: They look like dresses.
RIKER: That is an incredibly outmoded and sexist attitude. I'm surprised at you. Besides, you look good in a dress.

This to me was not a practical dress uniform and took 'dress' too literally.

The dress whites from the First Contact era did a better job of looking formal without looking completely out of place. I do wonder, thought, if there were a simple evening dress/dinner dress uniform more formal than the service uniform, but less formal than the whites.

Last edited by JJohnson; July 9 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 9 2013, 05:41 PM   #57
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I hated the white dress uniforms from the movies, the "dress" uniforms from the series at least gave the impression that fashion had evolved.
Old July 9 2013, 05:49 PM   #58
JJohnson
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I hated the white dress uniforms from the movies, the "dress" uniforms from the series at least gave the impression that fashion had evolved.
I didn't like the ribbing and thought there was too much gold going on there when I first saw them. I would've done it differently, keeping it closer to the First Contact uniform in styling, even if it needed to be white. But yes, I preferred overall the series dress uniforms.
Old July 10 2013, 04:31 AM   #59
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I think the best concept uniform out there is this TWOK/FC mashup:
http://sundancekat.deviantart.com/ar...form-147834713
That's actually rather nice.
I liked them as well.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:53 AM   #60
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

JJohnson wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
It's definitely more practical than a zipper on the back of a uniform like season 3-7 of TNG. And there's no magical one-piece/two-piece uniform magic like the DS9/VOY jumpsuits had on occasion.
There was no zipper in-universe.