Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 5 2013, 11:55 AM   #151
Mama Claus
Captain

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Something completely new and no rehashes or nods to classic Trek movies. I admit I enjoyed Kirk and Spock's switch when compared to events in TWOK, but that will probalby only work once.
Old July 5 2013, 09:58 PM   #152
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

The next Star Trek movie will be released to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, so a certain amount of fan service is to be expected.

I haven't heard any official word on how many of these movies this current team intends to make, but I would guess probably three would be a good number. Hollywood is all about trilogies these days. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie is the last of this version. Giving the cast and filmmakers a chance to move on to bigger and better projects.

Using some of the most famous film trilogies as an example. The third film usually heavily calls back the first film. Return of the Jedi had the Rebels attack another Death Star. Spiderman 3 had Spidey going after Uncle Bens Retconned killer. The Dark Knight Rises had the League of Shadows attack Gotham again.

So because of this, Star Trek XIII should take place 3 years into the Enterprises 5 year deep space exploration mission, when war with the Klingons breaks out. The war is especially fast and brutal with the Klingons easily winning every engagement, due to the Klingons having vastly superior weapons. So the Enterprise is sent to find out how the Klingons got so technologically powerful. They discover that after Nero destroyed the Kelvin his ship was captured by Klingons. They studied his ship and reverse engineered the ships weapons and shield technology, and began retrofitting it to their ships.

The Enterprise destroys the Klingon shipyards were their upgraded warships are being built. But not before a massive fleet leaves for Earth. The Enterprise chases after them, and since in this version of Star Trek it only takes a few seconds to travel from Qo'nos to Earth, they get there in a few seconds. But the Klingons quickly overwhelm Starfleet and destroy all of Earths defenses. The Enterprise is badly damaged and all their weapons are destroyed and a few main characters are killed. And thousands of Klingon ships begin carpet bombing Earth, within seconds every major city is destroyed. Big special effects disaster sequence where San Francisco, Paris and London are shown being pulverized by the Klingons Narada enhanced weapons, huge explosions, lots of people getting killed, big Michael Bay style scene. The kind that makes good trailers and gets people into the theatres.

Kirk wants to stay and fight but Spock convinces him to leave as their deaths would serve no logical purpose. So with Earth destroyed the Enterprise limps away (this scene will be an homage to 2009's Star Trek, when the Enterprise leaves Vulcan as it is destroyed)

At some point in the film, either by another expository scene with Old Spock, or some other means, the Enterprise crew discover some type of time travel. Either yet another new method, or a previously used method of time travel. Either way, they realize that with the Earth and Starfleet destroyed the Federation is defeated. The only way to win now is to go back in time and stop the Klingons from getting Neros weapons.

But before they can do whatever it is that will send them back in time the Klingons find them, space battle ensues, more main characters are killed, the Enterprise is destroyed, and only Kirk, Spock and Uhura (because she has clearly replaced McCoy in the Big Three in this version) survive. The Klingons then kill Uhura, Spock sacrifices himself so Kirk can go back in time, which he does, but not before he is gravely wounded. Kirk, bleeding to death is now aboard Neros ship just as it appeared in front of the Kelvin. Kirk fights his way to the Narada's engine room where he sabotages some thing a ma jig, and the ship blows up, before it fires on the Kelvin. It's debris is pulled back into the black hole leaving no trace of Nero or the Narada. On the Kelvins bridge Captain Robau and crew are like "what the hell just happened?" They leave a probe to study the black hole and then continue on their original mission.

"32 years later" appears on the screen we see a fly by of the Enterprise (TOS version with TMP level of hull detail). Interior shot of nuKirk and nuSpock wearing the Where No Man Has Gone Before mustard coloured turtlenecks, playing 3D chess in a shot for shot, line for line, remake of the opening scene from WNMHGB. As they leave for the transporter room the Alexander Courage's Star Trek fan fare plays. Cut to an exterior flyby shot of the Enterprise, "And The Adventure Continues..." (or words to that effect) appears on screen and credits.

That's what the next Star Trek movie should be. Leaving the next team of film makers free to continue, remake or reboot as they wish.

Last edited by MrJ; July 6 2013 at 08:10 AM.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:12 PM   #153
CorporalClegg
Admiral

MrJ wrote: View Post
The next Star Trek movie will be released to coincide with the 50th Anniversary.
Did I miss something?
Old July 5 2013, 11:19 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The next Star Trek movie will be released to coincide with the 50th Anniversary.
Did I miss something?
That's when Paramount evidently wants the film to be released. But whether that's practical is anyone's guess?
Old July 5 2013, 11:40 PM   #155
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Star trek 3 has been out for 29 years...

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 08:22 AM   #156
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Did I miss something?
That's when Paramount evidently wants the film to be released. But whether that's practical is anyone's guess?
It does seem overly ambitious, as they would have to start preproduction pretty much now, in order to have a summer 2016 release. But I don't really care about any new Trek movies anymore. As long as they keep releasing TNG on Bluray, and then all seven seasons of DS9 I'll be happy. That's the extent of my Star Trek interest anymore.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:10 PM   #157
BillJ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Did I miss something?
It does seem overly ambitious, as they would have to start preproduction pretty much now, in order to have a summer 2016 release. But I don't really care about any new Trek movies anymore. As long as they keep releasing TNG on Bluray, and then all seven seasons of DS9 I'll be happy. That's the extent of my Star Trek interest anymore.
I love Star Trek and if its on, I'll watch it. Even if it is Deep Space Nine or Voyager.
Old July 6 2013, 02:40 PM   #158
serenitytrek1
Commander

The next Star Trek movie will be released to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, so a certain amount of fan service is to be expected.

I haven't heard any official word on how many of these movies this current team intends to make, but I would guess probably three would be a good number. Hollywood is all about trilogies these days. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie is the last of this version. Giving the cast and filmmakers a chance to move on to bigger and better projects.

Using some of the most famous film trilogies as an example. The third film usually heavily calls back the first film. Return of the Jedi had the Rebels attack another Death Star. Spiderman 3 had Spidey going after Uncle Bens Retconned killer. The Dark Knight Rises had the League of Shadows attack Gotham again.

So because of this, Star Trek XIII should take place 3 years into the Enterprises 5 year deep space exploration mission, when war with the Klingons breaks out. The war is especially fast and brutal with the Klingons easily winning every engagement, due to the Klingons having vastly superior weapons. So the Enterprise is sent to find out how the Klingons got so technologically powerful. They discover that after Nero destroyed the Kelvin his ship was captured by Klingons. They studied his ship and reverse engineered the ships weapons and shield technology, and began retrofitting it to their ships.

The Enterprise destroys the Klingon shipyards were their upgraded warships are being built. But not before a massive fleet leaves for Earth. The Enterprise chases after them, and since in this version of Star Trek it only takes a few seconds to travel from Qo'nos to Earth, they get there in a few seconds. But the Klingons quickly overwhelm Starfleet and destroy all of Earths defenses. The Enterprise is badly damaged and all their weapons are destroyed and a few main characters are killed. And thousands of Klingon ships begin carpet bombing Earth, within seconds every major city is destroyed. Big special effects disaster sequence where San Francisco, Paris and London are shown being pulverized by the Klingons Narada enhanced weapons, huge explosions, lots of people getting killed, big Michael Bay style scene. The kind that makes good trailers and gets people into the theatres.

Kirk wants to stay and fight but Spock convinces him to leave as their deaths would serve no logical purpose. So with Earth destroyed the Enterprise limps away (this scene will be an homage to 2009's Star Trek, when the Enterprise leaves Vulcan as it is destroyed)

At some point in the film, either by another expository scene with Old Spock, or some other means, the Enterprise crew discover some type of time travel. Either yet another new method, or a previously used method of time travel. Either way, they realize that with the Earth and Starfleet destroyed the Federation is defeated. The only way to win now is to go back in time and stop the Klingons from getting Neros weapons.

But before they can do whatever it is that will send them back in time the Klingons find them, space battle ensues, more main characters are killed, the Enterprise is destroyed, and only Kirk, Spock and Uhura (because she has clearly replaced McCoy in the Big Three in this version) survive. The Klingons then kill Uhura, Spock sacrifices himself so Kirk can go back in time, which he does, but not before he is gravely wounded. Kirk, bleeding to death is now aboard Neros ship just as it appeared in front of the Kelvin. Kirk fights his way to the Narada's engine room where he sabotages some thing a ma jig, and the ship blows up, before it fires on the Kelvin. It's debris is pulled back into the black hole leaving no trace of Nero or the Narada. On the Kelvins bridge Captain Robau and crew are like "what the hell just happened?" They leave a probe to study the black hole and then continue on their original mission.

"32 years later" appears on the screen we see a fly by of the Enterprise (TOS version with TMP level of hull detail). Interior shot of nuKirk and nuSpock wearing the Where No Man Has Gone Before mustard coloured turtlenecks, playing 3D chess in a shot for shot, line for line, remake of the opening scene from WNMHGB. As they leave for the transporter room the Alexander Courage's Star Trek fan fare plays. Cut to an exterior flyby shot of the Enterprise, "And The Adventure Continues..." (or words to that effect) appears on screen and credits.

That's what the next Star Trek movie should be. Leaving the next team of film makers free to continue, remake or reboot as they wish.

When I look back now. Neither Uhura or Bones is among the big 3. Scotty was the third main character in STiD.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:48 PM   #159
BillJ
Admiral

I want it to be entertaining.
Old July 6 2013, 04:56 PM   #160
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.
I was one of the people ranting loudly and obnoxiously, because I think TWOK is overrated, and that Old!Khan's supposed awesomeness is a purely informed ability.

I loved STID, I loved BC's Khan.

So...moral of the story, they can pick up stuff I rant about, as long as they turn it into something cool. I want a ST film to be entertaining and well-made and well-acted. The particulars are not that important to me, it turns out.

Well, of course, I am a sucker for villains that are both awesome and good-looking (one of the reasons I always cheer on the T-1000), so if I'm going to wish for something in particular, that's it.

Seriously though, some actual space exploration would be good.
Old July 8 2013, 03:16 PM   #161
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I would want An Into Darkness Sequel (AIDS) that deals with the 5-year-mission. No Klingon war bullcrap.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:21 PM   #162
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I would want An Into Darkness Sequel (AIDS) that deals with the 5-year-mission. No Klingon war bullcrap.
Agree. That would establish the basis for several Star Trek films.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:49 AM   #163
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I would want An Into Darkness Sequel (AIDS)
If the sequel is AIDS, what does that make STID, Ebola?
Old July 9 2013, 05:50 AM   #164
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
AIDS isn't very funny. Ebola is not funny at all.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:21 PM   #165
geneo
Lieutenant

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
AIDS isn't very funny. Ebola is not funny at all.
I agree, AIDS is not funny and should not be joked about. I had a family member die of it and let me tell you, what it does to the human body..because it becomes part of the body's genetic dna makeup so imagine...(shudder)
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote