Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2013, 03:17 PM   #6706
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

If Man of Steel really happened, and I saw on the news that a bunch of people died in Metropolis during that whole Zod thing, I'd still think he was a hero for saving the other 7 billion of us. I'd be, like...happy and stuff.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:20 PM   #6707
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Because it made money, that means it's a good movie?
Nope.

It's a good movie because it's a good movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:13 PM   #6708
davejames
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
If Man of Steel really happened, and I saw on the news that a bunch of people died in Metropolis during that whole Zod thing, I'd still think he was a hero for saving the other 7 billion of us. I'd be, like...happy and stuff.
Heh, same here. Plus it was pretty clear that the vast majority of the damage was done to the city by the World Engine, before Superman even showed up.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:17 PM   #6709
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm glad it's making money. I'm not enthusiastic about the movie and felt it could've been better and made some odd decisions and such, but I'm interested in seeing where a sequel can go.
Yes, me too. And I think that has to be a big factor to take into account in any origin/ reboot/relaunch movie. When Superman Returns came out, I enjoyed it, but I was never all that keen to see where the Superman/Lois/Richard/Jason story went next. In fact, the more I thought about how much the kid would have aged by the time any sequel came out, the less interest I had in seeing how that story panned out. Whereas I'm looking forward to seeing what is ahead for the characters in this incarnation.

Speaking of SR, it occurred to me the other day that when it came out in 2006, it got its ass kicked at the box-office by that year's big Jerry Bruckheimer-produced/ Gore Verbinksi-directed/Johnny Depp-starring movie, the second Pirates of the Carribean outing (Dead Man's Chest? Can't remember). And by the third X-Men movie, The Last Stand. Well, this year's Bruckheimer/Verbinski/Depp effort, The Lone Ranger, has bombed at the box office, while the summer's X-Men spin-off, The Wolverine, has yet to be released. It will be interesting to see how it fares in relation to MOS and TLR. I would be surprised if The Wolverine did as badly as TLR or as well as MOS. This, I think, would give an exact opposite reading of the box office rankings for their 2006 equivalents (ie Superman will be first, where before he was last, the X-verse will be second again and the B-V-D movie will be last where once it was first).
Old July 8 2013, 09:35 PM   #6710
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Speaking of SR, it occurred to me the other day that when it came out in 2006, it got its ass kicked at the box-office by that year's big Jerry Bruckheimer-produced/ Gore Verbinksi-directed/Johnny Depp-starring movie, the second Pirates of the Carribean outing (Dead Man's Chest? Can't remember).
And Warners may well schedule Man of Steel 2 for release on the 17th July 2015, one week after Pirates of the Caribbean 5.
Old July 8 2013, 11:32 PM   #6711
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Speaking of SR, it occurred to me the other day that when it came out in 2006, it got its ass kicked at the box-office by that year's big Jerry Bruckheimer-produced/ Gore Verbinksi-directed/Johnny Depp-starring movie, the second Pirates of the Carribean outing (Dead Man's Chest? Can't remember).
And Warners may well schedule Man of Steel 2 for release on the 17th July 2015, one week after Pirates of the Caribbean 5.
I didn't even know they were making a fifth on Pirates of the Carribean. I really liked 1-3, but On Stranger Tides was just horrible. I guess I'm kind of excited about seeing a fifth one, but I just hope its better than POTC 4. If nothing else, the series deserves a better movie to end on than #4 (even if #5 isn't the end, I still don't want the series to end with a horrible movie like the last one).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:26 AM   #6712
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If in the sequel half of the city gets destroyed again, I have a hard time believing that anyone would accept Superman as a hero.
In Universe?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:30 AM   #6713
Dream
Admiral

I'm glad it's making money. I'm not enthusiastic about the movie and felt it could've been better and made some odd decisions and such, but I'm interested in seeing where a sequel can go.
Didn't you give MOS a A- in the discussion topic? You don't sound like you liked it much at all. Do you grade on a curve or something?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:03 AM   #6714
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Didn't you give MOS a A- in the discussion topic? You don't sound like you liked it much at all. Do you grade on a curve or something?
I do, actually. I wouldn't call it a "curve" so much as it's just an oddly weighted system. The movie was good and well made and I liked all of that, but it failed to completely meet all of my expectations but I wasn't going to knock the movie's grade any simply because it didn't meet my expectations. I tried to grade the movie based on what it was. Which, really, it was good.

Just when I dig into it I have a *lot* of problems with it, but it's all stuff I look to see expanded upon or established in any sequels. I mean I'm all for a Superman who doesn't kill and tries to take the damage to remote areas but that's an "established" Superman and maybe the events here is what brings him to that point? I'm all for a Superman that doesn't kill but maybe THIS is why that's the case. It "hurt" too much to kill Zod and he doesn't want to do that again. So many are my problems are in a "maybe they're trying to build something here" sense.

All the same, it was a good movie and I look forward to sequels, hoping these issues will be addressed/fixed and there's something grander they're building to. I have some trust in that.

Pa Kent's death and treatment was still really dumb and backasswards, though.