Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2013, 01:59 AM   #211
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

I am losing interest in the show. I loved the alien invasion story to begin with, but I lost interest when the baby storyline came along. There are other things as well, but I don't want to slip in any spoilers.
Old July 8 2013, 06:39 AM   #212
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, those spoilers can be hazardous. I stepped in one the other day and my shoes still smell.
Old July 8 2013, 07:40 AM   #213
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I figured out that this was an awful show pretty early on that was going to give into as many tropes as possible to prol... This is that tantric bullshit again, just stay there honey, don't move, and you'll orgasm without ejaculating.

This episode had no value.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 08:04 AM   #214
Borgminister

Overproduced and underwritten...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:52 AM   #215
Tzenkethi
Lieutenant Commander

It's flipping obvious Serina's a spy and with her presidency she will probably call in a truce or switch Charlestons alliance to the aliens or some crap.
Tzenkethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:09 PM   #216
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

All you detractors are free to stop watching any time you like.

Meanwhile, I liked that last night's ep had the classic Exorcist feel to it (as does any scene in sci-fi that involves some kind of possession).

And Pope had a good point: next time he does something assholish he's just going to say he has a bug. Cool. That solves everybody's problems cause the bug cure would kill anybody who's lying. That would be hilarious to see.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:00 PM   #217
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good resolution to the Hal storyline.
I didn't expect Tom's resignation, so it will be interesting to see what becomes of Marina's Presidency. I don't really see where the idea that she's a traitor comes from. Sure she might not have agreed with everything Tom did, but I never really saw anything suspicious about her.
I loved when Weaver walked into The Nest. You could tell everyone was expecting him to freak out, and then he just goes and gets a drink.
Old July 8 2013, 09:06 PM   #218
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
All you detractors are free to stop watching any time you like.

Meanwhile, I liked that last night's ep had the classic Exorcist feel to it (as does any scene in sci-fi that involves some kind of possession).

And Pope had a good point: next time he does something assholish he's just going to say he has a bug. Cool. That solves everybody's problems cause the bug cure would kill anybody who's lying. That would be hilarious to see.
Getting off "Scott-free" had pretty good odds when the betting was going on for the consequences of Hal's behavior. Nice to see at least some of the background players noticing the free pass that the Mason family seems to own. Though hanging a lamp on the issue sure didn't change the end of the episode: all is forgiven for Hal's "little episode" and the Mason boys ride off into their next adventure.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 10:45 PM   #219
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That's okay with me. This is just a straightforward adventure series and that sort of thing is to be expected. I still don't think that Hal killed Locke or planted the homing device-- I'm betting on Marina for that.

I'm also betting that the president and Cochise will turn up alive. Their unconfirmed deaths have been unconfirmed for too long.

I didn't expect Tom to resign, though, and I don't see the point of it. But it was dramatic seeing all the Masons ride off on horseback to rescue mom and sister.
Old July 8 2013, 11:03 PM   #220
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Charleston presidency means jack shit if there's a real president who has connected the entire rest of America together...

Did Benjamin Hathaway stop at the old US borders, or did he annex Canada and Mexico and Cuba, since anyone joining his ham radio alliance is effectively joining the United States of America.

Old July 8 2013, 11:26 PM   #221
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The Charleston presidency means jack shit if there's a real president who has connected the entire rest of America together...
Yes, IF. The plane crash just puts us back where we started. If Hathaway's alive, he's still the real president. If he's not, there is no legitimate line of succession behind him so the Charelston Presidency is just as legitimate as anybody else's.

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Getting off "Scott-free" had pretty good odds when the betting was going on for the consequences of Hal's behavior. Nice to see at least some of the background players noticing the free pass that the Mason family seems to own. Though hanging a lamp on the issue sure didn't change the end of the episode: all is forgiven for Hal's "little episode" and the Mason boys ride off into their next adventure.
Yeah, but that was the best scene of the whole episode! Right out of "Bonanza!" Pa Mason and the Mason Boys riding off to save Mama Mason and the young'un. That was classic!

-Tom Clancy
Old July 8 2013, 11:56 PM   #222
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ben Hathaway is President because he connected the country with radio, not because of anything that happened pre-invasion, including his election.

"Humans build communities."

Is that girl in the plane, still flying around, telling people how cool Charleston is?

Old July 9 2013, 12:05 AM   #223
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Ben Hathaway is President because he connected the country with radio, not because of anything that happened pre-invasion, including his election.
No, that just makes him John Connor. His election made him president. Period. That's how it works.

"Humans build communities."
And the community we're talking about has set rules for choosing its leaders and their successors, and nowhere in the rule book does being good on the radio appear as a qualification.

Is that girl in the plane, still flying around, telling people how cool Charleston is?
No, she's in Charleston, maintaining her community and defending it against all enemies foreign and domestic, which is her job.

-Tom Clancy
Old July 9 2013, 01:07 AM   #224
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The old America is dead.

Any official maps being produced at the time of this occupation would clearly label the North American Continent as "Upper Skitterville".

Charleston claims leadership of "The New United States" which is an altogether different country than the (old) United States. George Washington was not the first American President. There were 8 presidents before George including John Hancock who were subservient to the alien command of the British Crown.

What is happening in Charleston is a separatist uprising of well armed extremist wackos who are trying to overthrow the government. A government in hiding too scared to defend it's rapidly dwindling almost vanished population, or a government of Aspheni. If Charleston drives the Aspheni offworld, it's unlikely that they are going to do much anything else but claim dominance rather than hand over command to a coward who hid in a bunker for 3 or four years while they carved up a new world.

Hathaway unless he is lying to himself, is also the President of a NEW United States of America.

Neither New United states has the will or manifest destiny to claim the entire old United States, so really if the aliens lose, then there is going to be a very short civil war where Charston proves their military dominance over the former controlling body of the old United States, and accepts their surrender. I'm assuming healthy integration after that point rather than the creation of some Hathaway loyalist underclass gritting their teeth for the next 20 years blowing up post offices when they feel like explaining how should really be in charge.

The UN says that you find unclaimed land and plant a flag. 200 miles in every direction of that flag is your country. The issue in today's world is finding unclaimed land. But I saw (part of) a Documentary series a few years ago about a guy who was trying to found his own country, and he explored all the possibilities, loopholes and dead ends to get there... There is apparently a drilling rig that declared independence and personal sovereignty a few decades back and have managed to hold their ground for goodness knows what reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_...ur_Own_Country

Old July 9 2013, 01:40 AM   #225
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The old America is dead.
Not if the pre-invasion president is still alive. Quote you:

The Charleston presidency means jack shit if there's a real president
Exactly.

Any official maps being produced at the time of this occupation would clearly label the North American Continent as "Upper Skitterville".
"Official maps" are drawn by the occupants. Charleston itself is run by humans, and therefore the map of Charleston remains the same, as does any map the people of Charleston see fit to draw.

Charleston claims leadership of "The New United States" which is an altogether different country than the (old) United States.
But just as legitimate if the last vestiges of the old nation are truly gone.

George Washington was not the first American President.
No, he was the first President of the United States. There's a difference.

There were 8 presidents before George including John Hancock who were subservient to the alien command of the British Crown.
Presidents under the Articles of Confederation do not count as Presidents of the United States. Again, there's a difference.

What is happening in Charleston is a separatist uprising of well armed extremist wackos who are trying to overthrow the government.
No it's trying to defend people the government has abandoned.

A government in hiding too scared to defend it's rapidly dwindling almost vanished population, or a government of Aspheni. If Charleston drives the Aspheni offworld, it's unlikely that they are going to do much anything else but claim dominance rather than hand over command to a coward who hid in a bunker for 3 or four years while they carved up a new world.
And if he's dead, they don't have to. We keep coming back to that "if."

Hathaway unless he is lying to himself, is also the President of a NEW United States of America.
No he's the President of the original United States of America. If he's alive. That's just how it works.

Neither New United states has the will or manifest destiny to claim the entire old United States, so really if the aliens lose, then there is going to be a very short civil war where Charston proves their military dominance over the former controlling body of the old United States, and accepts their surrender. I'm assuming healthy integration after that point rather than the creation of some Hathaway loyalist underclass gritting their teeth for the next 20 years blowing up post offices when they feel like explaining how should really be in charge.
The first thing Tom did when he was told the pre-invasion president might still be alive was go see for himself. when he found out it was true he reported as if hathaway had authority. Americans understand how this country works. If the aliens get kicked off the planet people will be looking for normalcy, and the pre-invasion president would embody that. There won't be a civil war.

The UN says that you find unclaimed land and plant a flag.
Dude, if america is dead, what makes you think the UN, headquartered in America, survived? And how are its tenets any more legitimate than dead America's tenets?

Screw what the UN says.

-Tom Clancy