RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 504
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 5 2013, 10:47 PM   #151
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Better if they had allowed main cast to die?

In season 6, B'Elanna said to the Captain "Hey lady!? I want to rotate the tires, so we might as well land and really get a look under the hood."

There was some nice CGI of removed hull plating as engineers were tinkering with the engine after Voyager had landed.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:40 AM   #152
Anwar
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Aside from a couple of episodes DSN wasn't on the frontline, it might have been close to it, but it really didn't take the same pounding week in week out that VOY did.
It was a major staging point for a War and more or less a Major Sector HQ point. It would've made more sense for the place to come under attack more often and be more damaged.

If holding true to its' war story, then the Station should've been taking more of a beating than VOY (which really didn't take a beating most of the time).

i.e they could have done something like

Captains Log supplemental, we have just completed a stop over with the Yoldaran's, where we were able to make long needed repairs to the ship.
Do that, and folks are just PO'ed they didn't see a 2-parter dedicated to the repairs and only the repairs.

You just can't win.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 03:37 AM   #153
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

They could have done a lot with a "Landing to take repairs" story.

Hey we've landed on this deserted planet and deconstructed the engines. WHOOPS not so deserted after all. There are raiders who try to loot the ship and end up in a hostage situation, or swamp monsters, or energy creatures who don't like trespassers, or a whole cloaked settlement or primitives, or whatever.

They could have done an episode where it was literally, either share your stuff or you're dead in the water, and they had to make actual hard choices about Starfleet ethics. They never did because they wanted the crew to stay pure and lovable.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 03:59 AM   #154
Sran
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
They could have done an episode where it was literally, either share your stuff or you're dead in the water, and they had to make actual hard choices about Starfleet ethics. They never did because they wanted the crew to stay pure and lovable.
I thought "Scorpion" did that to some extent. Granted, Janeway made the choice to approach the Borg about using their nanoprobes against Species 8472, but Voyager would have been in a tough spot had they tried to cross the Northwest Passage on their own.

I actually agreed with Chakotay's argument and thought Janeway was out of line for second-guessing the decisions he made while in command of the ship. Whatever she may have thought about his actions, he had the make the decision that he thought was best, not what he thought she would have wanted him to do.

--Sran
Old July 7 2013, 08:29 AM   #155
Anwar
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
They could have done a lot with a "Landing to take repairs" story.

Hey we've landed on this deserted planet and deconstructed the engines. WHOOPS not so deserted after all. There are raiders who try to loot the ship and end up in a hostage situation, or swamp monsters, or energy creatures who don't like trespassers, or a whole cloaked settlement or primitives, or whatever.
They did that with "Basics".

And what's wrong with that? It worked with all the other series, even DS9 presented Sisko's morally gray decisions as ultimately being good ones.
Old July 7 2013, 09:51 AM   #156
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They shared every thing in The Void. Built a community. Even kicked an ass out of their collective who wouldn't stick to the Federations moral code, despite him having the coolest toys.

Old July 7 2013, 06:04 PM   #157
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Yes, they did what folks expected them to do with the premise.

And what positive response did they get from the audience? Zero.

Honestly, you just can't win.
Old July 8 2013, 12:50 PM   #158
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought "The Void" had been received relatively favorably...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:51 PM   #159
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Folks can say NOW what they liked about the show, but it doesn't match up with their reactions back when anything aired.

Hell, even "Living Witness" was seen only for its flaws and not its strengths.
Old July 8 2013, 10:58 PM   #160
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But every one from the past is more stupid and ignorant than we here in the future are.

Even us compared to our past selves.

This is why insider trading is illegal, because it's kinda like time travel.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 8 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old July 8 2013, 11:19 PM   #161
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

That means we're completely stupid now compared to who we will be in ten years.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 11:49 PM   #162
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Even ten minutes, and it's called growth.

Of course you could send abusive mail to your future self...

Have you seen the most recent season of Red Dwarf from late last year where Dave Lister gets upset that he's never really treated is kid right, given him good advice or steered the boy towards being a better human being... And there was something about Fathers Day muddled into it as well.

Lister then set up a whole bunch of crap to twat his kid when he was too drunk to remember what he had done the following day as he received a series of time delayed vid-mail from his dad.

(There was a time travel thingy years earlier. Lister is his own father. Sure you know that, but there are Americans spying on this conversation.)

Old July 9 2013, 12:00 AM   #163
MacLeod
Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Folks can say NOW what they liked about the show, but it doesn't match up with their reactions back when anything aired.

Hell, even "Living Witness" was seen only for its flaws and not its strengths.
The flaw being the magically appearing back-up copy of the EMH that only a few episodes earlier they didn't have? And even if they did manage to construct one and it was lost why not construct another one. As in later episodes there was no EMH back-up module. As plot flaws goes it's a big one.

Of course setting aside the massive plot hole it was one of VOY's better episodes.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 12:08 AM   #164
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

My views on television shows have changed a lot less over ten years than my views on my life. I guess that's comforting stuff.. in ten years when I'm living in a commune in the desert protesting something very important I will still love Voyager.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 12:30 AM   #165
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And Sherri Applybee was in a horrific webseries, [not a joke]that was really just an add for tampons and facewipes[/not a joke] called "dating Advice form my future self" where she was lead to beleive in the future that she had invented a way to text message glib communication about into the past about "boys" and "feelings".

(back to the real world.)

Would you vote for the same people you did in the last half dozen elections after seeing what they did with that power?