Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 4 2013, 03:09 PM   #346
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Here's a glimpse of how I did my photomanip. I put the model in a simple scene approximating the ground colour and sky. I did this to get the right kind of colour reflections on the hull. Then it was relatively easy to get the model to blend into the more natural looking background when put into the landscape. I also tried to approximate the same direction of shadows.

Old July 5 2013, 12:14 AM   #347
Warped9
Admiral

Well, here are some quick snapshots of the aquashuttle beginning to take form. All the major components are there and its now a matter of detailing, colour, rendering and then photomanips.

Old July 5 2013, 06:21 PM   #348
Warped9
Admiral

I need to add the registry and then the exterior is pretty well done. Then onto some interior work.

While I'm reasonably happy with how this is coming out I'm thinking it needs a bit more detail. I've got an idea for some extra little greeble detailing. I'm also rethinking the huge lighting (sub-surface illumination) panels on the bow. Right now it looks just too plain and oversized so I want to play with that a bit more.

Last edited by Warped9; July 5 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 11:49 PM   #349
Warped9
Admiral

While working out the interior arrangement I've been giving more thought to how this can work out.

Keeping in mind that this vehicle has to withstand the pressures of subsurface depths it's even more important I think to have a double hull. Also I'm envisioning three compartments. The rearmost compartment is really just a double access hatch arrangement in the unfortunate instance of the outside hatch malfunctioning or being damaged whether in space or submerged. Mind you with the outer hatch compromised it wouldn't be advisable to rely on the inner hatch at any serious depths.

The middle compartment (actually the useable aft compartment) is a staging/holding area for equipment. When on the surface the upper part of the outer access hatch can be opened to allow for performing or deploying experiments....or maybe even sneaking in a bit of fishing? (-:

A third access hatch separates the staging compartment for the forward control compartment. This is where the flight crew and personnel are positioned during flight or subsurface maneuvering. There is room for a crew of four.

Just under the forward lighting panel at the bow is a small panel with a retractable phaser. This phaser can be used for a variety of purposes including stunning (for deterrence) of threat life forms that could be encountered. Under the hull there is an off-centre panel from which a variety of probes can be launched either in-flight or submerged. Some such subsurface probes could be used to probe into further depths that might lay beyond the aquashuttle's capability or to extend the range of the craft's surveying.

Last edited by Warped9; July 7 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:25 AM   #350
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Very impressive.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:46 AM   #351
UssGlenn
Captain

Looking good, reminds me a bit of a duck's bill.
Old July 7 2013, 03:33 PM   #352
Kail
Commodore

Great work! Love what you are doing.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:51 AM   #353
Warped9
Admiral

Seeing the interior or at least glimpsing it by x-ray view or through the viewport. Now on to the remaining exterior details.

Old July 8 2013, 08:24 PM   #354
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Amazing! Are you going to give her a registry number and nomenclature?
Old July 8 2013, 08:48 PM   #355
JJohnson
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I need to add the registry and then the exterior is pretty well done. Then onto some interior work.

While I'm reasonably happy with how this is coming out I'm thinking it needs a bit more detail. I've got an idea for some extra little greeble detailing. I'm also rethinking the huge lighting (sub-surface illumination) panels on the bow. Right now it looks just too plain and oversized so I want to play with that a bit more.
I had an idea for this aft view - that little rounded rectangle that's raised on the wings, you could have it glow blue where it connects to the hull in a thin stripe all around. It could represent the glow of the engine-reactors.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:29 PM   #356
Warped9
Admiral

JJohnson wrote: View Post
I had an idea for this aft view - that little rounded rectangle that's raised on the wings, you could have it glow blue where it connects to the hull in a thin stripe all around. It could represent the glow of the engine-reactors.
This is supposed to be a TOS type vehicle...and I never cared for that blue glowing engines that contemporary Trek did.
Old July 8 2013, 09:32 PM   #357
Warped9
Admiral

Sarvek wrote: View Post
Old July 8 2013, 10:49 PM   #358
Timo
Admiral

...Would an immobile base really care for a versatile vehicle that can do spaceflight, atmospheric flight and surface and subsurface travel in water? Rather than accept the compromises, the base would probably want a thoroughbred submarine...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 01:36 AM   #359
Warped9
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
...Would an immobile base really care for a versatile vehicle that can do spaceflight, atmospheric flight and surface and subsurface travel in water? Rather than accept the compromises, the base would probably want a thoroughbred submarine...

Timo Saloniemi
If TAS had never introduced the aquashuttle I'd agree with you. But TAS did introduce it so now I'm just trying to reconcile it in a more credible form (as I see it anyway). This version doesn't have warp drive and I jettisoned the nacelles because I don't feel they fit for a vehicle supposedly made for underwater operation. My version is a strictly orbit-to-surface (and return) craft. It doesn't even have impulse but is propelled (for atmospheric and limited spaceflight) by an antigrav system.

I've scaled it down from what was seen on TAS but nonetheless it still remains a sizeable craft and one which I think unlikely to be kept berthed as part of a starship's regular shuttlecraft complement. So my thought was it could be a specialized vehicle loaned out temporarily to a starship for specific missions (same with the lander version I did previously).

In a more credible scenario such a craft might not even belong to Starfleet, but rather it could be owned and operated by a separate science and research agency within the Federation and essentially given a ride to its destination by a Starfleet vessel, assuming the destination lies outside a given range normally reachable by non Starfleet ships.

In the past and even today naval forces have worked with civilian agencies. Governments aren't the only ones who conduct scientific research and onsite study.
Old July 9 2013, 02:54 AM   #360
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Sarvek wrote: View Post
Totally excellent! Are you going to show this model as orthos of it? It would be great to see it that way and are you going to do the same with other 3D rendered models? Once again, excellent work!