Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 8 2013, 05:04 PM   #2686
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
However once you take away the 3d prices of STiD and adjust trek 09 by inflation.

Yes. Once you change the numbers, it doesn't look as good.
Old July 8 2013, 05:06 PM   #2687
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
However once you take away the 3d prices of STiD and adjust trek 09 by inflation.

Comparing success by the numbers of tickets sold (which is essentially what you do when you adjust for ticket price inflation) is fair.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:12 PM   #2688
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Comparing success by the numbers of tickets sold (which is essentially what you do when you adjust for ticket price inflation) is fair.
No it's not. We have no idea of the financing or merchandising or tax rebates that go into the numbers of either film. For all we know, Into Darkness could be more financially successful than the original film even with less tickets sold and a higher budget.

The only people who know how financially successful or unsuccessful Into Darkness is, with certainty, are the folks at Paramount and Bad Robot.
Old July 8 2013, 05:12 PM   #2689
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers?
Eh, it's made enough to be profitable enough for them to be interested in making more movies.

None of the money is going into our bank accounts (As SalvorHardin so succintly points out), so, how much over "enough to justify a sequel" doesn't really matter unless you rate your entertainment choices by popularity of the General Masses.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:18 PM   #2690
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Sucess in business isn't all about volume. It's about a good return on investment. Making a large number of sales at low prices isn't inherently better or more successful than making fewer sales at high prices. It depends on the ROI.

STID is a decent-sized hit, a big enough hit to warrant a sequel. Had it sold the same number of tickets as Star Trek it would be a much bigger hit domestically given the higher ticket prices, especially the 3D premium, but it's done well enough to be marked down as a success nevertheless.
Old July 8 2013, 05:29 PM   #2691
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It'll also be behind "Oz, The Great and Powerful" which made $234 million domestic and $491 worldwide.
I was talking about summer releases, which doesn't include Oz: The Great and Powerful, which was a spring release.
Fair enough.

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers?
Yeah, there is.
None of that money went in my bank account.

It's like rooting for a professional sports team. All perspective is lost. Say your favorite baseball team wins the World Series. A lot was at stake for them. The players get about $350,000 each in winning shares and rings worth several thousand dollars each. We fans, who are as emotionally attached to the team as anyone, have nothing at stake other than getting the privilege of buying overpriced t-shirts and caps that say "World Series Champions" on them.
Old July 8 2013, 06:03 PM   #2692
Vyse
Lieutenant

Yes and no.

Recent films, it is definitely a fair comparison. However, comparing to movies from different eras isn't (IMO). Adjusted for Inflation, "Gone With the Wind" is the highest grossing film, yet the world was a very different place when that film came out. Movies were relased multiple times over the years, and obviusly people didn't have home theater systems back then. A lot of people don't bother going to the movies these days, and wait to rent them.

Comparing ST09 to STID is very fair though.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:50 PM   #2693
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Eh, it's made enough to be profitable enough for them to be interested in making more movies.
Not only that, but the studio isn't finished making money off ID yet. The DVD and bluray sales are gonna be huge. ST fans always come through for the studio when it comes to home video releases. I mean, this is the group of fans who were willing to shell out $100 for a VHS copy of "The Final Frontier."
Old July 8 2013, 07:29 PM   #2694
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 08:54 PM   #2695
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Think it might have made more if Khan had been revealed right from the start in the trailers?
I don't think it would have made a difference to casual viewers.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:07 PM   #2696
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
Think it might have made more if Khan had been revealed right from the start in the trailers?
I don't know...

A tagline of "Star Trek's greatest villain returns!" in the weeks running up to release might have put some butts in theater seats.
Old July 8 2013, 09:20 PM   #2697
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I don't know...

A tagline of "Star Trek's greatest villain returns!" in the weeks running up to release might have put some butts in theater seats.
Or, it could just as easily have driven butts out of the seats. If someone hasn't seen (or doesn't remember) Space Seed or Wrath of Khan and they think there's something they may not know about Khan, or worse, have them go in expecting a Montalbon clone, and be disappointed when they find the character is nothing like Montalbon's Khan

It may have been good for the Box Office, but, I think a case could be made just as well that it could've hurt.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:54 PM   #2698
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Weekend actual: $1,310,448 for $223,065,011 so far.
Old July 8 2013, 11:46 PM   #2699
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

guys please read this article from Entertainment Weekly, one of the most trusted entertainment sites ever

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/0...ormances-2013/

trek did not make the list. which means to an extent it has been a box office disappointment. I think it is time for us to face reality and look to the future. I hope next time the producers of trek 3 would not listen to a loud minority of trek fans who are demanding that Trek goes back to TOS Mode.

I am not disrespecting TOS. TOS was great of its time. The series is a classic and it even made EW 100 greatest TV shows of all time.

However TOS is now of the past , what made trek 09 a huge success was because it was bold, fresh , unapologetic and daring. Even with its flaws it is without a doubt an outstanding film.

STiD was much more of a huge fan service to TOS trek fans thereby alienating new fans...The box office is proof of that.

STiD is still a huge success but it was not as successful as the studios intended. world wide the film needs to do 500m for it to be a success without question. Sadly it wont get there.

STiD should have done 270m+ in USA and 500m Worldwide.
1) The overseas BO is MUCH better than any Star trek film to date.

2) The combined take makes STID the highest grossing Star trek film made to date, period.

If we follow your logic, that just means Paramount an CBS should shutter the Star Trek franchise.

(And BTW - just because it didn't make some critic's '15 Impressive BO Take' list; it hardly means it's a disappointment to Paramount, as there are MANY Paramount films of 2013 that performed well, will see sequels, and are not on that list.)

STID did VERY good BO business; and we'll see a STXIII by Bad Robot and Co. (And no matter how you slice it, this version of TOS era Star Trek blew EVERY feature film incarnation of TNG out of the water by an order of magnitude. If you really want to look at a disappointing Star Trek film BO performance - Star Trek: Nemesis was out-grossed in Box Office take by Jennifer Lopez's film Maid In Manhattan <---- So if you want proof the TNG film era is NOT the way to go...)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 01:26 AM   #2700
donners22
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

No.

It obviously shouldn't be the sole assessment of success, but surely the raw number of people going to see the film is relevant in some respects?
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote