RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,083
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 534
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 8 2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

^I recall that the nunchakus were a particular no-no as far as the studio was concerned, because there'd been some incident after the first movie with kids hurting themselves by playing with nunchakus, or something like that. So I think the other three Turtles at least got to wield their traditional weapons if not to use them on anyone, but Mikey was stuck with yo-yos and whatever he could improvise.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Myko
Commander
 
Myko's Avatar
 
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

As a kid I found the 2nd movie much scarier than the first, mostly because of how scary Super Shredder was.

Having rewatched them again the second is definitely much more campy. I still get nervous toward the end though.
__________________
Myko
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:25 PM   #18
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I recall that the nunchakus were a particular no-no as far as the studio was concerned, because there'd been some incident after the first movie with kids hurting themselves by playing with nunchakus, or something like that. So I think the other three Turtles at least got to wield their traditional weapons if not to use them on anyone, but Mikey was stuck with yo-yos and whatever he could improvise.

isn't that odd? I'd think that they'd have the biggest issue with Raph's weapon, as a knife is a far more common thing a kid might see laying around a house and think of "playing" with. It's not very common to get your hands on nunchakus.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I recall that the nunchakus were a particular no-no as far as the studio was concerned, because there'd been some incident after the first movie with kids hurting themselves by playing with nunchakus, or something like that. So I think the other three Turtles at least got to wield their traditional weapons if not to use them on anyone, but Mikey was stuck with yo-yos and whatever he could improvise.
That kind of happened in the cartoon as well with Mike's main "weapon" morphing into a grappling hook. I think it was less to do with the nunchakus and more to do with Mike being popular so kids tried to emulate him as most as possible. Hell, as a kid I made my own nunchakus with a shoe string and some dowel rods.

Which just seemed silly. Nunchakus are hardly "common" weapons one can get a hold of (I think they're actually illegal). Now, granted, sais and katana swords aren't sold at Walmart either but knives and such are easy to get a hold of in a household and are vastly more dangerous than a damn stick on a string being swirled around . Hell, even Donatello's bo-staff would prove a danger and can also be "created" by taking apart a broom.

But nunchakus, we cannot have those! So instead of Michelangelo swirling around nunchakus to beat-up bad guys we'll have him do an "Around the World" trick with a yo-yo! That's something kids can't/won't emulate!
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

It's such a weird mismatch, though, that a comic that was created as a satire of dark, violent Frank Miller comics (as well as the X-Men) ended up becoming a cartoon and movie franchise aimed at children. Therein lies the problem with the portrayal of the Turtles and their weapons.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

The nunchakus were phased out mostly because of censorship issues in the UK at the time (the original animated series had to be retitled Teenage Mutant Hero Turtes in the UK for the same reason).
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Which is just silly, if anything Michelangelo had the most HARMLESS weapon. Leonardo carried around two freaking swords and Raphael had two three-pronged stabbing weapons. But, nah, those are all okay to see used by cartoon turtles fighting robots. But don't you dare twirl around two sticks tethered together by a chain/string!
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

I have nothing but disgust for this production. After destroying one of my childhood classics, Michael Bay is set to ruin on another. As much as I love William Fichtner, he has no place playing Shredder.

I grew up loving the first two Turtles films (I still haven't seen the third one) as well as the 90's cartoon and I quite liked the recent animated film even though it had its own flaws. I'll just rewatch those instead of whatever shit Michael Bay puts out claiming to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:13 AM   #24
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Emh wrote: View Post
I have nothing but disgust for this production. After destroying one of my childhood classics, Michael Bay is set to ruin on another. As much as I love William Fichtner, he has no place playing Shredder.
While I totally respect that view, and would be pissed as all heck if, say, the Golden Compass movie had rewritten Lyra as a boy named Laurence, as a non-fan of the franchise, Fichtner's inherent awesomeness makes me much more interested in the movie than I'd been before. I can definitely grok the desire for a really weird human villain to offset the unreality of the turtles themselves, and if there's an actor out there weirder than Fichtner, apart from maybe Michael Shannon, I'm not sure I've heard of him or her.

Also, couldn't it be argued that the character of Shredder/Oroku Saki as a modern-day Japanese martial arts master (as created by two white dudes) was pretty stereotypical, and therefore kinda un-PC to begin with? Two white dudes decide to do a story about mutant crime-fighting martial artist turtles, so they throw in some Japanese characters for an exotic flavor when pretty much any New York-based martial arts mentor would have sufficed?
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:21 PM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

I'm told I was quite the Ninja Turtles fan when I was a kid. Indeed, there's still quite a few TMNT stuff kicking around the house. But in all honesty, I don't really remember anything about TMNT and haven't been too compelled to check out the old cartoon on DVD.

As for this new movie, I'm not really hopeful. This has nothing to do with cherishing old memories or dreading that it will "rape my childhood." Rather, I'm just looking at a movie from Michael Bay which seems to be a retread of his Transformers movies but with mutant turtles in the place of giant robots. And since I haven't bothered with any more Transformers movies after the first one, I don't see any compelling reason to check this out.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Gaith wrote: View Post
Also, couldn't it be argued that the character of Shredder/Oroku Saki as a modern-day Japanese martial arts master (as created by two white dudes) was pretty stereotypical, and therefore kinda un-PC to begin with? Two white dudes decide to do a story about mutant crime-fighting martial artist turtles, so they throw in some Japanese characters for an exotic flavor when pretty much any New York-based martial arts mentor would have sufficed?
How is a martial arts expert from Japan un-PC? We're not allowed to have any characters who are good at martial arts be Asian any more?!

And they didn't "throw in" some Japanese characters. The entire origin story is built around them. Or at least, it used to be.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:59 PM   #27
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Gaith wrote: View Post
Also, couldn't it be argued that the character of Shredder/Oroku Saki as a modern-day Japanese martial arts master (as created by two white dudes) was pretty stereotypical, and therefore kinda un-PC to begin with?
Haha... what!? My karate instructor as a kid was Asian, man. These stereotypes exist for a reason you know.

I hate political correctness, but I don't see how making the minority characters white is a particularly PC thing to do?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Gaith wrote: View Post
While I totally respect that view, and would be pissed as all heck if, say, the Golden Compass movie had rewritten Lyra as a boy named Laurence, as a non-fan of the franchise, Fichtner's inherent awesomeness makes me much more interested in the movie than I'd been before.
That's a spurious comparison. The real issue here isn't about whether characters are authentic, it's about whether actors are being discriminated against and cheated out of employment opportunities because of what group they belong to. Male actors have historically had no problem getting movie parts. But Asian actors have. For generations, they've been shut out of employment opportunities because white actors got cast in roles that were meant to be Asian. There is a long history of job discrimination and racism looming over the industry, and it still hasn't been entirely overcome. So the recent trend of casting so many white actors as originally Asian (or Native American) characters in movies feels like a backslide. It's not about any single character or whether the change can be justified; it's about the disturbing overall trend in the industry.

Particularly given that Michael Bay is known for questionable portrayals of nonwhite characters in his movies. Of course, in that case, maybe it's better if he doesn't actually try to portray any Asian characters, since they might come out as stereotypes. But that just underlines the bad decision of giving this project to him in the first place.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:15 PM   #29
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

@DalekJim: Okay, you got me, "un-PC" wasn't warranted.


Christopher wrote: View Post
That's a spurious comparison. The real issue here isn't about whether characters are authentic, it's about whether actors are being discriminated against and cheated out of employment opportunities because of what group they belong to.
Both issues are real, and both are valid. I wasn't saying white girls face the same casting hurdles as Asian actors with my Golden Compass comparison; I was addressing the authentic characters issue only.

That said, I'm on your side. I would've cast an Asian, I agree Bay's a douchebag, and I'm all for not giving him any more money. I'm just saying that if I were to find a discarded dvd of the movie on the street some day - no money involved - Fichtner's presence would make me more interested than if it'd been virtually any other actor.

Last edited by Gaith; July 20 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 06:06 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

^Well, if you say so, though I think it does Fichtner a disservice to have him associated with this misbegotten project in any way. I doubt I'd ever want to watch it no matter who was in it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.