The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 6 2013, 08:19 AM   #31
Borgminister

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

My gut tells me that had Kobe made it clear to Dwight that it will be his team right away, not after the 3-4 more years that Kobe wants to play and "show Howard how to win championships", it would've made a difference, even with D'Antoni as the coach.

That does not mean that L.A. would've been a lock for a championship, given D12's penchant for whining. But one does wonder what Jackson might have accomplished in ego management.

Even if Josh Smith goes to Houston, it would take an MVP coaching effort by McHale to get that squad through the first round, but in the long run, they have a 3-4 year window to win.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 05:06 PM   #32
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Well, now that the Howard situation is over, I guess we can all go back to our lives.

Paul Millsap has signed with the Atlanta Hawks (from Jazz). OJ Mayo has agreed to a deal with the Bucks (from Mavericks). Al-Farouq Aminu has re-signed with the Pelicans. Jose Calderon has agreed to a deal with the Dallas Mavericks (from Detroit Pistons). Royce White was traded from Houston to the Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Furkan Aldemir. Matt Barnes re-signed with the Clippers. Omer Asik appears to want out of Houston now that Dwight Howard is there.

That's the update for today, as of 12:00PM EST.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Sran
Fleet Captain

How long until we read that Gordon Hayward has been traded to the Boston Celtics?

--Sran
Old July 6 2013, 08:38 PM   #34
Sran
Fleet Captain

Per ESPN, Josh Smith has signed with the Detroit Pistons. I don't understand why the Pistons would overpay for him as he's a terrible fit for their team, but they've done this sort of thing before.

--Sran
Old July 6 2013, 10:05 PM   #35
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Borgminister wrote: View Post
My gut tells me that had Kobe made it clear to Dwight that it will be his team right away, not after the 3-4 more years that Kobe wants to play and "show Howard how to win championships", it would've made a difference, even with D'Antoni as the coach.

That does not mean that L.A. would've been a lock for a championship, given D12's penchant for whining. But one does wonder what Jackson might have accomplished in ego management.

Even if Josh Smith goes to Houston, it would take an MVP coaching effort by McHale to get that squad through the first round, but in the long run, they have a 3-4 year window to win.
I think little to nothing happened in that meeting to push Dwight further away from the Lakers. There have been reports that during the meeting, D12 seemed detached and didn't make eye contact. That was taken by the Lakers' team as an indication that Dwight had already made up his mind that he was leaving.

Right after the season Dwight stated that he wanted to be where he could be happy. Playing under a crap coach like D'Antoni in a makeshift offense, alongside a demanding superstar who was desperate to win a championship (something I think Dwight wants, but only on his terms), in front of a fanbase that believes the team should always be competing for a ring, in a huge media center, were all reasons D12 could not be happy in L.A.

Dwight wants the easy route. That is his right, but winning a championship has rarely if ever been easy and with the Rockets, it's not going to be any easier. I agree with your assessment of the Rox chances this coming season. But one thing is certain, the expectations won't be as high and he will be playing for a coach who emphasize Dwight on offense.

It is hard for me to see him winning a championship with the Rox but it is also hard for me to see him caring all that much, as long as he isn't blamed for anything.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 09:17 AM   #36
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
Per ESPN, Josh Smith has signed with the Detroit Pistons. I don't understand why the Pistons would overpay for him as he's a terrible fit for their team, but they've done this sort of thing before.

--Sran
The Pistons better not be done. 4-years, 56-million is a lot of money. But Greg Monroe has been rumored to be headed to Boston for Rajon Rondo. The Pistons could also use Smith at Small Forward. So the Pistons send one of their bigs to the bench, probably Drummond, or they trade one of them for a point guard and a small forward.
Old July 7 2013, 04:43 PM   #37
Sran
Fleet Captain

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The Pistons better not be done. 4-years, 56-million is a lot of money. But Greg Monroe has been rumored to be headed to Boston for Rajon Rondo. The Pistons could also use Smith at Small Forward. So the Pistons send one of their bigs to the bench, probably Drummond, or they trade one of them for a point guard and a small forward.
If they can move either Monroe or Drummond, the Smith signing makes more sense. With Brad Stevens in Boston, a Monroe-Rondo exchange might be in order, but it's hard to know.

--Sran
Old July 8 2013, 05:48 PM   #38
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Well, according to reports, Asik is not going anywhere despite his concerns for playing with Dwight Howard. Francisco Garcia has re-signed with the Rockets, giving them some shooting and ballhandling in the backcourt, along with Omri Casspi to replace Carlos Delfino. Carlos Delfino is returning for his second stint with the Milwaukee Bucks, joining Zaza Pachulia who also signed. JJ Hickson continues to bounce around the league, singing a 3-year deal with the Denver Nuggets. The Cavs have entered the sweepstakes for everyone's favorite knees, Andrew Bynum. It's rumored that the Atlanta Hawks are trying to sign-and-trade for Brandon Jennings (in exchange for Jeff Teague). A lateral move if it comes to fruition. Chris Kaman is rumored to be headed to the LA Lakers. Jarrett Jack is going to the Cleveland Cavaliers, leaving Golden State without one of its gametime finishers from last season. Similarly, they lost Carl Landry to the Sacramento Kings. Dorell Wright has signed with the Portland Trailblazers and so has Earl Watson in two small deals. Dallas has added Devin Harris to Jose Calderon so they have no needs at point guard.

Darren Collison has joined Chris Paul with the Clippers. And Ryan Hollins, one of the bigs the Clippers need to be title contenders, is on their payroll for next season. That leaves one more big, one better than Hollins, and they will be ready for some NBA titles, according to what I said upthread. Their backcourt is off-the-charts now.
Old July 8 2013, 07:48 PM   #39
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I heard Asik to the Sixers, but I'm not sure what the Sixers would give up. I guess it's more likely fallen through now?
Old July 8 2013, 09:20 PM   #40
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Now, according to rumor, Antawn Jamison is talking to the Clippers about a one year deal.

Jimmy Buss, with his crappy coaching choices (Antawn was so pissed he bailed on his end of the year meeting), is in the process of ensuring we are competing for Andrew Wiggins.

edited to add: it is being reported that the Lakers have signed Chris Kaman to a one year deal. After losing Dwight, we had a hole in the frontcourt rotation.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 09:33 PM   #41
Borgminister

Kaman is a serviceable center, I think he even has a mid-range shot, so he and Pau will provide some punch. If Oden goes back for a year, maybe they'll get the 8 spot, who knows (if Kobe comes back healthy).
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 11:53 PM   #42
Sran
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I heard Asik to the Sixers, but I'm not sure what the Sixers would give up. I guess it's more likely fallen through now?
How much cap room do the Sixers have? Asik has a poison pill in his contract.

--Sran
Old July 9 2013, 12:16 AM   #43
Sran
Fleet Captain

The Lakers are interested in bringing back Lamar Odom.

--Sran
Old July 9 2013, 12:26 AM   #44
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Sran wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
How much cap room do the Sixers have? Asik has a poison pill in his contract.

--Sran
I count about 21 million, but they haven't signed their draft picks yet. That being said, they're trying to both tank and save money for next year so I doubt I would want Asik.
Old July 9 2013, 09:34 PM   #45
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Lots of small tidbits today. The Bucks have traded Luc Bah a Moute to the Sacramento Kings for 2 second-round picks (2016 and 2018). Jermaine O'Neal will be signed by the Golden State Warriors. Chris Kaman is indeed going to the Lakers, and Metta World Peace will be amnestied. He is interested in the Knicks, if he is amnestied. Monta Ellis has narrowed down his search to 4 teams (Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, Dallas Mavericks, and Charlotte Bobcats). It's amazing to me how active the Kings and Bobcats have been in free agency. A part of the Iguodala deal, the Nuggets are receiving Randy Foye as compensation. You have to wonder who will play backup point guard in Golden State. And my favorite Detroit Pistons, have agreed to contracts with Will Bynum (to play backup point guard to Brandon Knight) and Italian League MVP Luigi Datome, both on 2-year deals. Datome is a small forward, 6-9, who averaged 17 points and 6 rebounds last season. He's a sweet shooter (41 percent from downtown) and he's not bad from the foul line (92 percent). So hopefully, he can spell Josh Smith or start in his stead.