Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 6 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Are the bluray's the versions where you can choose...

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Yes, but if you don't have a Blue Ray player, and only have DVD, both versions are available in separate season sets.
Except that the remastered episodes with original FX are not available on DVD, AFAIK.
Yes they are. The original NBC broadcasts were released on DVD in 2004, the the remastered episodes with remastered effects were released in 2008. I've had both sets since their original releases.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:12 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Yes, but if you don't have a Blue Ray player, and only have DVD, both versions are available in separate season sets.
Except that the remastered episodes with original FX are not available on DVD, AFAIK.
Yes they are. The original NBC broadcasts were released on DVD in 2004, the the remastered episodes with remastered effects were released in 2008. I've had both sets since their original releases.
But the cleaned-up episodes with the original effects are not available on DVD.
Old July 7 2013, 01:57 AM   #18
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

You misunderstand.

We're talking about three different versions here: 1) the version released on DVD in 2004; 2) the remastered version in HD with the original FX; 3) the remastered version with new special FX.

Versions 1 and 3 are available on DVD; version 2 is not available on DVD. Versions 2 and 3 are available on bluray, both in HD, but not version 1.
Old July 8 2013, 04:59 PM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral

You misunderstand.

We're talking about three different versions here: 1) the version released on DVD in 2004; 2) the remastered version in HD with the original FX; 3) the remastered version with new special FX.

Versions 1 and 3 are available on DVD; version 2 is not available on DVD. Versions 2 and 3 are available on bluray, both in HD, but not version 1.
Oh yeah. HD. I did forget that one. HD came and went so fast (it was the loser in the "format war" a few years back, yes?), it's no wonder I forgot it.
Old July 8 2013, 05:06 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

Oh yeah. HD. I did forget that one. HD came and went so fast (it was the loser in the "format war" a few years back, yes?), it's no wonder I forgot it.
HD-DVD has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion. There was never a DVD release of the remastered episodes with the original special effects intact.
Old July 8 2013, 07:23 PM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

You misunderstand.

No, I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about the original series with the original FX remastered and looking much clearer and better than the original DVD release.

Now, you own the remastered episodes with the new FX on DVD, right? Okay, imagine the series looking just as clear and bright and good as that, but with the original 1960s special FX, not the new CGI FX. That's what was never released on DVD, and that's what you get on bluray. It's still remastered, just with the old FX instead of the new. "Remastered" has nothing to do with "new FX."
Old July 9 2013, 05:19 AM   #22
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I finally found what I was looking for ... I actually started the thread myself back then, and one of the answers I got was this (emphasis mine):

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Yes, you can choose to only watch the episodes with the original effects. You can also choose to listen to the mono track with (for the most part) is about the same as the original sound mix as the originals.

However, there are a couple of episodes which incorrectly have the new opening credits, even when you choose to watch the original version. The rest of the episode is fine, just the credits got screwed with.

You can also listen to the original sound mix over the new effects, so you never have to listen to that re-recording ever, even if you're in the mood for the new footage.
Can anyone confirm or deny that thing about the opening credits?
Old July 9 2013, 05:25 AM   #23
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
It's nothing I ever noticed.
Old July 9 2013, 04:20 PM   #24
RandyS
Vice Admiral

You misunderstand.

No, I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about the original series with the original FX remastered and looking much clearer and better than the original DVD release.

Now, you own the remastered episodes with the new FX on DVD, right? Okay, imagine the series looking just as clear and bright and good as that, but with the original 1960s special FX, not the new CGI FX. That's what was never released on DVD, and that's what you get on bluray. It's still remastered, just with the old FX instead of the new. "Remastered" has nothing to do with "new FX."
Ah, I see.

Then I guess I've never seen what you are talking about. A friend of mine owns the Blue Rays, and he made a point of telling me that they are the same as the two DVD versions I have. Plus he demonstrated one of the episodes for me, and the Blue rays DO in fact look like what I have.

I guess this is where I got confused...
Old July 9 2013, 04:53 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

The Blu-ray's are far crisper looking with better color and sound, even when playing the episodes with the original effects.

It's not even a contest.
Old July 9 2013, 06:21 PM   #26
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Yes they are. The original NBC broadcasts were released on DVD in 2004.
I know you meant the effects sequences, but to be accurate, the original NBC broadcast versions have never been released on DVD. The sound mix has been screwed with since they were put out in 1999. Music changes and new sound effects are all over the prints and are still on the Blu-Ray release. The closest we got to original NBC broadcasts were the VHS/Laserdisc releases. But even those had alterations, such as the opening and closing credits in the first part of the first season and the syndicated versions of the Next Week previews.

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I finally found what I was looking for ... I actually started the thread myself back then, and one of the answers I got was this (emphasis mine):

Yes, you can choose to only watch the episodes with the original effects. You can also choose to listen to the mono track with (for the most part) is about the same as the original sound mix as the originals.

However, there are a couple of episodes which incorrectly have the new opening credits, even when you choose to watch the original version. The rest of the episode is fine, just the credits got screwed with.

You can also listen to the original sound mix over the new effects, so you never have to listen to that re-recording ever, even if you're in the mood for the new footage.
Ooo, ooo, that was me! And yes, I can confirm it exists, but I'm not home to pin down the episode(s). The first season was where I noticed it, possibly Balance of Terror.

EDIT: I checked the Blu-Ray of Balance of Terror last night and in both the hi-fi and mono tracks in the original effects versions, the 2006 newly orchestrated theme is there. The old visuals are intact, but the music is the newer version. I didn't really have time to go through to find other episodes (I think there's at least one more), but I can confirm Balance of Terror.

The DVDs also restored the "created by Gene Roddenberry" credit to the open theme of The Man Trap and Charlie X, as seen originally in 1966. Gene's credits at the end of both episodes were amended to simply "producer" on those prints. The Blu-Ray episodes do not have those restorations. Another reason I prefer and will retain my DVDs of the series (which really look great).

Last edited by ssosmcin; July 10 2013 at 03:30 PM.
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Mage
Commodore

Another question on the BR-set.... is The Cage included?
Old July 11 2013, 09:23 PM   #28
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Yes, on the third season set, like on the DVDs. The original cut of Where No Man Has Gone Before is also on that same disc.
Old July 11 2013, 09:34 PM   #29
Mage
Commodore

Yes, on the third season set, like on the DVDs. The original cut of Where No Man Has Gone Before is also on that same disc.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old July 17 2013, 08:20 AM   #30
Oso Blanco
Commodore

EDIT: I checked the Blu-Ray of Balance of Terror last night and in both the hi-fi and mono tracks in the original effects versions, the 2006 newly orchestrated theme is there. The old visuals are intact, but the music is the newer version. I didn't really have time to go through to find other episodes (I think there's at least one more), but I can confirm Balance of Terror.

The DVDs also restored the "created by Gene Roddenberry" credit to the open theme of The Man Trap and Charlie X, as seen originally in 1966. Gene's credits at the end of both episodes were amended to simply "producer" on those prints. The Blu-Ray episodes do not have those restorations. Another reason I prefer and will retain my DVDs of the series (which really look great).
Thanks for the info ... I guess I'll stick to my DVDs as well.