TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2013, 07:34 PM   #76
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: The Lone Ranger

Gaith wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't know if that's a spoiler or not so I'll keep it vague but the story is told within the context of another which I feel made it harder to invest in the main story.
I think anything revealed in the first twenty minutes of a movie, let alone the first scene, is fair game to discuss without spoiler concerns.
I guess it does sound a little funny when you put it that way.

When something is first out I try to be overly generous as far as spoiling goes.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:07 PM   #77
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Even apart from Salma Hayek, frickin' Wild West West had a more appealing visual palette!
All I read in your entire post was "Salma Hayek" & "Wild Wild West." I'm just going to savor that image again. It's probably still better than anything The Lone Ranger has to offer.

Personally, I could've done without the film's framing sequences.
Oddly, the framing sequences were also one of the worst, most pointless parts of Disney's last big action flop, John Carter.
Old July 7 2013, 11:39 PM   #78
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
All I read in your entire post was "Salma Hayek" & "Wild Wild West." I'm just going to savor that image again. It's probably still better than anything The Lone Ranger has to offer.

149-minute film

VS

106-minute film

Boom.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #79
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

EDIT: Something else I forgot to mention, given the plot, naming his horse Silver seems almost insulting.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Personally, I could've done without the film's framing sequences.
Oddly, the framing sequences were also one of the worst, most pointless parts of Disney's last big action flop, John Carter.
At least there was some basis for that from the source material.

149-minute film
Was it really that long? Explains some things I guess...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:46 AM   #80
sojourner
Admiral

106-minute film

"like a breast of fresh air, er, I mean a breath of fresh ass"

Old July 8 2013, 07:16 AM   #81
Gaith
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Jump to 2013, and we have another LR film, coming at time where some superhero productions are (once again) all the rage in fantasy, which only serves to show a TLR (like Legend of the Lone Ranger before it) to be a glaring opposite--something plain or boring. a guy wearing a mask, but he's not much else.
Donald Draper wrote: View Post
this movie or any its earlier incarnations, he is just your standard western hero in mask. There is nothing sexy or adventurous like Zorro.
I think this is really the core problem. At one point, the movie was going to have werewolves in it, and I think that could have gone a long way towards making things more interesting, because the Ranger is really little more than a sword-free Zorro knockoff.

... Anyhow, the preliminary box-office info is in: it's a disappointment for sure, but probably not a Speed Racer-level bomb; it'll join Prince of Persia and The Sorceror's Apprentice, and John Carter of M*** in the "failed franchises" category.

Pirates 5 is due two summers from now. If I were a Disney exec, I'd be re-reading that script super-hard to make sure it's a fine one.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:37 PM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

Personally, I wonder how Disney execs are going to react if JJ Abrams stays true to form and delays the release date of Star Wars like he did his two Star Treks. Somehow, under these circumstances I don't think Disney is going to be as understanding as Paramount was.
Old July 8 2013, 03:08 PM   #83
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
DarthTom makes it sound like a reasonable person analyzing the two properties prior to release could have distinguished between one as a likely success and the other as a likely failure. that's preposterous.
Meh. At least Pirates was a successful theme park ride at all of the Disney parks for decades before they decided to make the film - one especially successful with children.

The Lone Ranger did not have that much backend support.

BTW, Ranger cost Disney $250 million to make and made $49 million it's opening weekend.

Disney execs must be pulling their hair out.

Failing to fire off a silver bullet, Disney's The Lone Ranger posted a grim five-day debut of $48.9 million, far from enough to make up for the high cost of the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer Western.

Last edited by DarthTom; July 8 2013 at 03:38 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:13 PM   #84
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I wonder how Disney execs are going to react if JJ Abrams stays true to form and delays the release date of Star Wars like he did his two Star Treks. Somehow, under these circumstances I don't think Disney is going to be as understanding as Paramount was.
JJ is more of a hired gun on Star Wars. He was given free reign and allowed to take his time by Paramount because they need to start over.

For Star Wars a storyline and screenwriter was in place before he was even hired. Obviously he will have input but he is not starting from scratch like him and the writers did the 2 Trek films.

Disney and Lucasfilm are going to be overseeing this. It does not seem he had a particular producer on ST above him. Kathleen Kennedy is a pro. She has respect from everyone in the business. Once it was decided they wanted a 2015 release they would have made it clear that was the expectation. Having real boss was likely one of the reasons JJ was at first reluctant to do this.
Dick Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:29 PM   #85
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Having real boss was likely one of the reasons JJ was at first reluctant to do this.
Actually as I understand it his biggest reluctance was moving his family to London where it will film and uprooting his children out of school in Los Angeles.
Old July 8 2013, 05:41 PM   #86
Tom
Rear Admiral

LR was originally 250 Million but was whittled down for 215. I think Disney was getting a little scared at the budget getting out of control and they put a hiatus on the production to get the budget straighted out. Westerns are just not blockbuster summer films, it was a bad gamble on Disney's part.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:46 PM   #87
Tom
Rear Admiral

JJ is more of a hired gun on Star Wars. He was given free reign and allowed to take his time by Paramount because they need to start over.

For Star Wars a storyline and screenwriter was in place before he was even hired. Obviously he will have input but he is not starting from scratch like him and the writers did the 2 Trek films.

Disney and Lucasfilm are going to be overseeing this. It does not seem he had a particular producer on ST above him. Kathleen Kennedy is a pro. She has respect from everyone in the business. Once it was decided they wanted a 2015 release they would have made it clear that was the expectation. Having real boss was likely one of the reasons JJ was at first reluctant to do this.
I think the trifecta of Lucasfilm (Kennedy), Bad Robot (JJ) and & Disney should be enough to hold each other in check so Star Wars does not get screwed up.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:49 PM   #88
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
LR was originally 250 Million but was whittled down for 215. I think Disney was getting a little scared at the budget getting out of control and they put a hiatus on the production to get the budget straighted out. Westerns are just not blockbuster summer films, it was a bad gamble on Disney's part.
DJango did well, albiet released in December. However, Django was hardly a classic Western film as the subplot was about slavery unlike LR
Old July 8 2013, 06:34 PM   #89
Harvey
Admiral

Given Disney's one film a year strategy, I think the schedule is a bit more rigid. Also, as far as I know, Paramount's decision to move the release of Star Trek from December of 2008 to May of 2009 wasn't Abrams' decision, although it probably benefited the film.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:00 PM   #90
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

As an aside, Helena Bohman Carter will always and only be Madam Lestrange in my mind. LOL