Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2013, 09:15 AM   #1711
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

DalekJim wrote: View Post
You didn't even like the Doran twist at the end of AFFC?
As I see it, the entire point of all the Dornish chapter was this twist. It wasn't really necessary to arrive at this point through 3 POV characters and 10 or so chapters of nothing of consequence happening to characters we never knew and don't care about.

Another bloodbath that wipes out half the bloated cast would be very nice at this point.
Indeed.
Old July 8 2013, 10:31 AM   #1712
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I know most people love A Storm of Swords, but I think structurally speaking it's as flawed as the two later books
I'd say it's the best paced of the series. Every POV character gets lots of interesting stuff.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 10:41 AM   #1713
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
A fast-paced ending doesn't make up for Arya and early Jaime chapters that are much worse than the Brienne stuff from Feast for telling us things we already know about the horrors of war
The point of the early Jaime chapters is not telling us about the horrors of war, it's the character development of Jaime. Brienne's AFFC stuff is a mix of that and Martin's view of war's aftermath.
Shurik wrote: View Post
I really liked ADWD chapters that were set in Westeros, except Dorne and Jon Conninghton. All the Essos chapters just kill whatever momentum the book develops. There's Quentyn, the single most pointless character in the books, even more than that idiot Kingsguard from AFFC. Aegon exists only because Martin has no idea how to bring Daenerys to Westeros, so Aegon does what Daenerys should've done a long time ago. I guess it's much easier to invent a new character (or "resurrect" in Aegon's and Connighton's case) than untie the Meereenese knot.
Aegon isn't a sudden invention. He's the "mummer's dragon" prophesied in A Clash of Kings when Dany visits the House of the Undying.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; July 8 2013 at 10:54 AM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:26 PM   #1714
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Indeed. I quite liked that addition. I just wish all the plots in ADWD were as interesting. Jon Connington and Aegon managed to sail across the narrow sea between a couple chapters. It took Victarion the whole book, and quite a few other characters seemed to spend most of their time on their way somewhere rather than actually doing much.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:23 PM   #1715
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The Ironborn are the major addition to the franchise that I think Martin overindulges in, but he seems to really like them, moreso than I do.

Really, in terms of AFFC/ADWD, the POVs can be loosely divided into those characters whose stories really necessitated the scrapping of the five-year gap, and those characters whose stories would have accommodated it just fine.

In the latter category would go Jon and Dany, especially, as well as arguably Cersei, and characters like Stannis who are not POVs but depicted in other POVs. Those characters are dealing with very immediate threats and/or engaged in active rule. Cersei is going nuts (or more nuts than she already was) and destroying the Lannister regime; Jon and Dany are trying their hand at real sustained leadership, which is harder than it looks (particularly in Dany's case, where her story shows how she was good at inspiring people and conquering, but had no idea how to deal with the aftermath).

Then you have characters who could easily have skipped five years and updated us on what had happened to them in the intervening space. All of the Stark kids fall into this category, for instance, and so their chapter counts tend to be fairly low -- except Arya, and Martin has gone on record as saying he just really likes writing about Arya in Braavos. I'm not really sure that her greater chapter count tells us that much more than "Alayne" or Bran's 3/4, though. Tyrion also falls into that category -- his chapters are really the ones that could be most easily trimmed.

Then I guess you have a third category, groups of POVs that serve to introduce new settings and characters. And earlier poster is correct that, strictly from a plot perspective, you didn't really need that many Dornish chapters; but the goal there was to introduce the Dornish setting and characters are really get a feel for them. Same with the Ironborn.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 8 2013, 03:20 PM   #1716
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows and I'm really enjoying it. What I really like about it is, it's basically about the women of the story. How each is fighting for their place in the world.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:25 PM   #1717
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows and I'm really enjoying it. What I really like about it is, it's basically about the women of the story. How each is fighting for their place in the world.
Loving the A Feast or Crows praise in this thread as it gets shit on by pretty much everybody on forums I visit elsewhere. My favourites in the book are the Arya and Sansa chapters, with both suffering severe emotional traumas and identity crises.

Better than reading Dany dick around in Meereen with a bunch of completely interchangeable characters that merge together in my mind.

I just finished Melisandre's POV in ADWD, it's my favourite chapter so far along with Asha's and Reek's chapters. These have all been brilliant, and I'm even starting to enjoy Tyrion's. Meereen is just too much though. I described it as "Dune Messiah written by an amateur" when explaining it to a friend. I stand by that.

Next chapter is a Reek, followed by a Bran. Fuck yeah!
Old July 8 2013, 03:36 PM   #1718
Dream
Admiral

I prefer to call The Ironborn... The Flop Vikings.
Old July 8 2013, 03:39 PM   #1719
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I like the Ironborn. Asha, Victarion, Euron and Theon are all great characters.
Old July 8 2013, 04:51 PM   #1720
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Theon and Asha are very strong characters (in Asha's case, her later chapters are more about POV into Stannis' camp). Victarion is amusingly meatheaded, but I think he was a bit overused.

But then, one of the issues with a lot of the POVs in AFFC and especially in ADWD is that Martin needs to make each POV substantive enough to feel like a little story in its own right, despite that there's not necessarily a huge amount actually going on (the exception being Jaime's one chapter in ADWD, but that's essentially just a postscript to his much lengthier participation in AFFC). A lot of the travelogue stuff in some POVs (Sam, Davos, Tyrion) probably comes partly from that. Like, in Sam's POV, all he really does is go from the Wall to Oldtown. Theoretically that could just be 2-3 chapters, rather than 5.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 8 2013, 06:05 PM   #1721
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

They're maybe a bit too long but I like Sam's A Feast For Crows chapters for Master Aemon's depressing as all hell (In a good way!) slow demise and the insight in to Oldtown we get. Very intrigued where that plotline is going.

Weakest POV in that book is probably Cersei as it's slightly too over the top. Still highly entertaining though.
Old July 8 2013, 07:51 PM   #1722
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I like Cersei's simple but brilliant plot to get rid of both Margaery and Jon Snow. While it hinges on Margaery to fall for it, I doubt that she will. She seams a somewhat competent player of the game.

Old July 8 2013, 07:56 PM   #1723
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd say she's completely incompetent and deluded in all of her chapters .
Old July 8 2013, 09:03 PM   #1724
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I think he meant Margaery, not Cersei.
Old July 8 2013, 10:27 PM   #1725
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Yes, I was saying that I thought that Margaery was to smart to fall for it.