New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 5 2013, 07:33 PM   #4501
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Just finally fucking saw Into Darkness. Good fun- felt a bit like a "greatest hits" compilation of previous Trek movies, but was fun. Felt more like an action movie than a Trek movie - BC was great, totally stole the show....

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:19 PM   #4502
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

maneth wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
For a film to succeed, it must be able to transcend cultural barriers, have good word of mouth, and have a hook to get people into the chairs.
STID got something right at any rate, since about half of its total lifetime grosses are domestic and the other half foreign. And the movie's beaten its prodution budget in both foreign and domestic sales. (Box office mojo) I don't understand the cost structure of the distribution systems well enough to be able to judge when the movie makes a net profit, though.
Well, Wikipedia calls it a financial success, and seriously, there is no way something that's cost 190 million dollars and made about 440 made no net profit.

These aren't Man of Steel numbers, but this is the highest grossing ST film up until now, which is pretty damn great.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:26 PM   #4503
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

After seeing the film a second time this week, I caught two things (which has probably been brought out already):
  • Chris Doohan was a transporter operator on the Enterprise....
  • Kirk hit on Christine Chapel, which seems to be a reason she transferred off the Enterprise.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 05:08 PM   #4504
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There's a new cover for the special Amazon bluray release of STID:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...fsguitothet-20
Old July 6 2013, 06:13 PM   #4505
thumbtack
Commodore

Ln X wrote: View Post
And yes I grew up with modern Trek.

There's nothing modern about it. Not anymore.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It would make half the money, but if you halved the budget then Paramount would still be getting the same proportion of returns from its investment. You half the budget by trimming down the special effects, being far more careful and measured with the action scenes and cutting down on a bloated advertisement and promotion budget.
Nope. Doesn't work that way, sorry.

You've proposed a recipe for getting slaughtered at the box office. Go big or go home.

Definitely. Proportion is irrelevant. It's about total dollars generated. The studio is not interested in having to make four First Contacts to generate the same total dollars as one Into Darkness.
Old July 7 2013, 03:36 AM   #4506
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

As for Spock... If he is that uptight about the rules and so stringent about not violating them, then it is incredible why he didn't really question Admiral Marcus' mission that much. He didn't see the big picture and I don't recall him objecting to this mission, so Spock went along with something of questionable legality and morality.
Spock did question Marcus' mission - immediately after thanking Kirk for reinstating him as first officer Spock said [paraphrase]"I must object in the strongest terms to our mission"[/paraphrase], his grounds for doing so being that it was both illegal and immoral. This initially pissed Kirk off but to me it seemed to be the reason Kirk changed his mind and decided to capture Harrison instead. Which was also problematic but not as bad as sitting in the neutral zone firing missiles...

I agree with you about Scotty being a hero.

BillJ wrote: View Post
And the Klingons have absolutely no proof that Starfleet violated their territory. The Enterprise is still in Federation space and the ship nor personnel used in the Kronos mission can be tied back to them.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:49 AM   #4507
throwback
Captain

Although the geography of this movie is loose, the Enterprise was definitely not in Federation space. The starship was in the Neutral Zone or in Klingon space, depending on which source one puts greater credibility into.

I am inclined to believe that having his ship breakdown forced Kirk's hand. He couldn't complete the mission as planned.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 06:13 AM   #4508
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
Although the geography of this movie is loose, the Enterprise was definitely not in Federation space. The starship was in the Neutral Zone or in Klingon space, depending on which source one puts greater credibility into.

I am inclined to believe that having his ship breakdown forced Kirk's hand. He couldn't complete the mission as planned.
Actually, he could have, per his conversation with Khan just before Marcus shows up on the Vengeance.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:39 AM   #4509
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
Trek needs a big name attached to it. Get a big-name internationally recognized action star as your must-see blockbuster villain of the summer and you'll pull in more numbers.
Maybe. Brad Pitt couldn't open World War Z at the level that Paramount had hoped, and Johnny Depp is having a disappointing weekend at the movies. The utility of big names to the fantasy-action genre right now is debatable - unless your big star has a name that ends in "Downey, Jr."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:23 AM   #4510
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Downey as Q?
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:44 PM   #4511
Opus
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
Trek needs a big name attached to it. Get a big-name internationally recognized action star as your must-see blockbuster villain of the summer and you'll pull in more numbers.
Maybe. Brad Pitt couldn't open World War Z at the level that Paramount had hoped, and Johnny Depp is having a disappointing weekend at the movies. The utility of big names to the fantasy-action genre right now is debatable - unless your big star has a name that ends in "Downey, Jr."
Whoops! Looks like I spoke too soon there. I had expected Depp and Pitt to be bigger draws.

To me it seems Depp, or anyone possibly, couldn't get people interested in a Western - there seems to be zero interest in the genre to begin with, and I haven't heard great things about the film.

Pitt's a big name, and zombies are pop culture at the moment. Any guesses as to what happened?

Robert Downey, Jr. as Trelane?
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982

Last edited by Opus; July 8 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:59 PM   #4512
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Johnny Depp as Q or Trelane.

As far as "World War Z" goes, I haven't seen it (not my cup of tea), but I've read that fans of the book don't really like the movie, while it had an appeal to mainstream movie goers. Maybe that affected the box office. (Hmm. Something about that fan rage sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.)
Old July 8 2013, 06:02 PM   #4513
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
I've read that fans of the book don't really like the movie, while it had an appeal to mainstream movie goers. Maybe that affected the box office.
I don't know much about it but does WWZ actually have enough fans to make a real difference in the box office? Positive or negative.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:26 PM   #4514
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Johnny Depp as Q or Trelane.

As far as "World War Z" goes, I haven't seen it (not my cup of tea), but I've read that fans of the book don't really like the movie, while it had an appeal to mainstream movie goers. Maybe that affected the box office. (Hmm. Something about that fan rage sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.)
My wife loved the book and she loved the movie. I found the movie entertaining and Zombie flicks definitely aren't my thing.
Old July 8 2013, 06:27 PM   #4515
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I've read that fans of the book don't really like the movie, while it had an appeal to mainstream movie goers. Maybe that affected the box office.
I don't know much about it but does WWZ actually have enough fans to make a real difference in the box office? Positive or negative.
I don't know much either, but according to Publishers Weekly, the WWZ book sold over one million copies, as of 2011. His previous book about zombies sold 1.4 million. I guess that's still a lot these days. Good enough to rate a movie, obviously.

The other thing is, I think the movie is actually doing better than expected. The Hollywood Reporter says they'll likely be a sequel. Link to story, below.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-sights-573814

Last edited by Franklin; July 8 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote