Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #2671
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Borgminister wrote: View Post
STID made more than ST09. There will be another movie. That's all I really care about on the silver screen front, anyway...
That's probably all Paramount and CBS care about, too. There's money to be made, therefore they make more.

My gosh why is that so hard to admit
Translation: "why don't people here agree with me ?"

Seriously, STID was a big success. Not a record-breaker, but still.

I see once again I am the one single voice.

When that happens, it's time to consider that you're the one who's wrong.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:52 PM   #2672
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Unless there are one or more unexpected breakout hits for the rest of the summer that gross more than $225 million domestic, Star Trek Into Darkness looks to end up as the sixth highest grossing summer release in the domestic market behind Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Its worldwide ranking will be at least one rung lower and possibly a few rungs lower depending on how things shake out.
Old July 8 2013, 12:42 AM   #2673
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

I see once again I am the one single voice.
I hate to spoil your meal of locusts and wild honey, out there crying in the wilderness—really, I do—but I'd appreciate it if you didn't keep trying to make this out to be a contest of you against everyone. Present a solid argument, however, and I'm pretty sure that argument will get all the respect it's due.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Its the solid truth...all this are facts ...it is as truthful as saying the earth is round.
That the Earth is round is provable, and thus a fact. What you're bringing are not facts, and repeated earnest declarations that your claims are facts renders them no more factual than they were to begin with. At best, you've got details, and I don't think your interpretation of them is necessarily the correct one.

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 8 2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: 'earnest' is a better word there
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:01 AM   #2674
Jax
Admiral

Before Trek came out. another trusted entertainment site box office mojo said if STiD doesn't earn up to 250m in USA it would be a disappointment. Sadly, STiD has not done that.

Are you going to laugh at box office mojo as well?
No just you and the bubble you are living in. No one is trying to say it was a sucess on the level of Skyfall, TDKR, Iron Man 3 etc but the film had made a good profit broken franchise records and by the time all non box office $$$ are taken into like DVD/Blu Ray STID will have made Paramount a lot of money.
Old July 8 2013, 03:23 AM   #2675
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I thought the movie was f***ing stupid, but there's no doubt it was a success. It's going to continue to rake in the dough from bluray and DVD sales.
Old July 8 2013, 12:35 PM   #2676
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I thought the movie was f***ing stupid,
Just like I said in the Rise of the Federation book thread where I was one of the few that didn't like it: you can't win them all.
Old July 8 2013, 02:10 PM   #2677
datagal
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
After the recent "100 Greatest of All-Time" issue, I don't know how anyone can take anything Entertainment Weekly prints seriously.
I know.
I bought that issue and only thing that pop in my mind was......Where's Fargo?

rmi
datagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:05 PM   #2678
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Think it might have made more if Khan had been revealed right from the start in the trailers? I appreciate they were going for the surprise but would they have been able to generate more buzz?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:14 PM   #2679
Opus
Commodore

I know some people will claim anything just to hate this movie. But to call Entertainment Weekly the most trusted news source of entertainment news? That takes the cellular peptide cake with mint frosting!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:17 PM   #2680
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Success or failure seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Just as a girl can seem beautiful to some and unattractive to others. If your standards were for STID to set all kinds of records and compete with many of the heavy hitting big budget blockbusters then it was a dissapointment. If you simply wanted STID to be commercially viable and make a profit to justify a sequel then the results were extremely satisfying.

I mean hey, you can argue whether the grass is green or every color but green . . . it only affects your perception of the object. It doesn't change the actual grass.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:45 PM   #2681
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Unless there are one or more unexpected breakout hits for the rest of the summer that gross more than $225 million domestic, Star Trek Into Darkness looks to end up as the sixth highest grossing summer release in the domestic market behind Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Its worldwide ranking will be at least one rung lower and possibly a few rungs lower depending on how things shake out.
It'll also be behind "Oz, The Great and Powerful" which made $234 million domestic and $491 worldwide.

All and all, a good take for STID. But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers? In April, I'd have bet a week's salary the movie would've at least matched the domestic total from ST09.

Still, the take of the two movies show a return to relevance for the franchise, and that's probably good enough. At this date, assuming the third movie is as well-received as the first two were, put my prediction for the domestic box office take of the third movie at $262 million. (Which will mean adjusting for inflation, people will point out the movie didn't really bring in as much as ST09. There always has to be a hitch in things.)
Old July 8 2013, 04:03 PM   #2682
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers?
Sure there is. I wanted Star Trek Into Darkness to do a billion-dollars and finally wipe away the stigma of being a Trek fan.

But it didn't happen. It doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed the movie immensely and like I said before, if this is the final movie then we went out on top. A movie that was a critical-success and a moderate box-office success.

Last edited by BillJ; July 8 2013 at 04:16 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:20 PM   #2683
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I expected it to squeak past $450M, and likely wouldn't make $500M. So, in actuality, it's doing a little better than I expected, since it seems it will more than squeak by $450M

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:22 PM   #2684
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It'll also be behind "Oz, The Great and Powerful" which made $234 million domestic and $491 worldwide.
I was talking about summer releases, which doesn't include Oz: The Great and Powerful, which was a spring release.
Old July 8 2013, 04:43 PM   #2685
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers?
Yeah, there is.
None of that money went in my bank account.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote