RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,723
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 744
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 12 2006, 02:16 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I just had a thought for a book-character casting question I've never seen asked before:

Who would you cast as Ael t'Rllaillieu from the Rihannsu series? Or as Arrhae? Or as the voice of Naraht, K's't'lk, etc.?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2006, 03:33 PM   #62
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

Casting him(based on looks alone) as Vaughn would be a big mistake.
He isn't cast as Vaughn based on looks alone, he's cast as Vaughn based on the guy who created him (Marco) saying that he was patterned after Connery's portrayal of Marko Ramius in The Hunt for Red October.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2006, 05:59 PM   #63
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Emissary of the Prophets said:
What is everyone obsession with Sean Connery?

Well, it ain't like anyone here is gonna make a DS9 Relaunch movie.
Old April 12 2006, 07:48 PM   #64
RookieBatman
Commodore

The man is a terrible actor. He refuses/is unable to affect other accents. His Russian was Scottish, his Irish Policeman was Scottish, his Spaniard/Egyptian was Scottish.
A lot of his recent films have been critical & commerical flops.
John Wayne was a terrible actor, too. Mr. T was an abysmal actor. But they're both (as well as Connery) very fun to watch. And besides, I don't think that just because a person can't (or doesn't) do accents means that they're a bad actor. It's also possible that the director/powers that be wanted him to keep the accent because that's the Connery brand. I know when I read Elias Vaughn I'm going to be hearing Sean's accent in all it's Scottish glory, even though I fully know that Vaughn's not Scottish. It's just fun.
Old April 12 2006, 07:59 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Some actors are good at transforming themselves into different characters; other actors are brilliant at playing a single role or type over and over. That doesn't make them bad actors, just a different kind of actor. And actors in the latter group are often more famous, because they present a consistent and familiar image rather than vanishing inside their roles.

People don't cast Sean Connery because they want a chameleon. They cast him because they want Sean Connery.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2006, 08:05 PM   #66
RookieBatman
Commodore

Exactly! You took the words right out of my brain. I say if you can do one very good character, do it well. Sean Connery plays a better Sean Connery than anyone I know, and that's what I like about it.
Old April 12 2006, 08:21 PM   #67
Sci
Admiral

RookieBatman said:
Exactly! You took the words right out of my brain. I say if you can do one very good character, do it well. Sean Connery plays a better Sean Connery than anyone I know, and that's what I like about it.
Personally, I think Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery is better than Sean Connery's Sean Connery.
Old April 12 2006, 08:49 PM   #68
Haval_Runa
Lieutenant Commander

That's Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery, actually. Will Farrell plays Alex Trebeck
Worf: Only when I am angry.
--Children of Time
Haval_Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2006, 08:59 PM   #69
Sci
Admiral

Haval_Runa said:
That's Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery, actually. Will Farrell plays Alex Trebeck
Gah! You're right!

No, wait. "You're only saying that because I screwed your mother, Trebeck!"
Old April 12 2006, 11:51 PM   #70
RookieBatman
Commodore

Sci said:
RookieBatman said:
Personally, I think Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery is better than Sean Connery's Sean Connery.
Hm...we'll have to agree to disagree about that one. I think Hammond's impressions are very funny, but I think he took a lot of artistic license with Connery. But then, I once played Connery in a Celebrity Jeopardy skit in high school drama class, so I know how hard it is. But I can't say I ever thought that Hammond nailed it.
Ah, I just realized that you were probably joking. Sorry.
Old April 13 2006, 12:00 AM   #71
Ocean Machine
Lieutenant Commander

I always hear Shar speaking with Marc Worden's voice (he played Alexander in DS9).
Ocean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2006, 12:49 AM   #72
Haval_Runa
Lieutenant Commander

Speaking of Alexander, Brian Bonsall is in his mid-twenties at this point... he might make for an interesting Shar.
Worf: Only when I am angry.
--Children of Time
Haval_Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2006, 04:36 AM   #73
Commander Cavit
Vice Admiral

The man is a terrible actor.
"Terrible" is something of an overstatement (go watch The Hill and/or The Offence if you doubt that he can do it), but he has gotten into something of a rut of doing certain films for money and he clearly doesn't like SF because he really mails it in doing those roles.

Having said that, I don't see Vaughn as Connery in my mind's eye. I use the guy pictured on the front of the books and, to me, his voice is a touch higher than Sean's, more of a tenor. Plus, I imagine him having a little bit of a twang, like he's from Indiana. A subtle one, not like he's walking around sounding like a James Whitcomb Riley poem, but just a little homey. Kind of like Hal Holbrook.

I've also mentioned before that I have a mental picture of Philip Casnof who played Stanislofsky on OZ and is a frequent guest star on the various Law and Order franchises as the young Vaughn from Serpents and The Art.

"Bite me, Curzon."

When we had one of these threads before, someone tossed out Maura Tierney's name for Christine Vale and that's stuck with me since. I just finished The Red King a few days ago and she's very solidly my mental image of the Titan's Exec, now.

Haval_Runa said:
Will Farrell plays Alex Trebeck
Not to pick nits, but Farrell plays Eugene Levy doing Trebek.
Commander Cavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2006, 04:41 AM   #74
JD
Admiral

Ds9R:
Vaughn: I couldn't cast him in my mind till right now, and i have to go with James Brolin
Prynn: Grace Park
Bowers: I used to say J. August Richards, but now hearing the 20 year vet thing I'm gonna go with DB Woodside
Trier: Suzie Plakson
Shar: Vincent Kartheiser
New Frontier:
Mac: Joe Flanigan
Soleta: I like Jennifer Conelly
Zak Kebron voice: Michael Clark Duncan
Vanguard:
Diego Reyes: Edward James Olmos
The rest would go along with David Mack's cast on his annotations for Harbinger
Titan:
Vale: Katee Sackhoff
Jaza: Jesse L. Martin
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2006, 04:58 AM   #75

I might be misremembering this, but a while ago, didn't Heather Jarman state that she'd modelled Thriss on The West Wing's Janel Moloney? If so, perfect choice.

(And it's kind of interesting, isn't it, how many TWW castmembers' names have been bandied about on this thread?)