Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 5 2013, 01:29 AM   #196
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
My customer service skills are sublime..

sonak wrote: View Post
someone whose job it is to serve customers.
.. partially because I'm very picky about who I accept as customers. Nobody who says that to my face would be served at my establishment.
So this is a hobby business?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 02:57 AM   #197
sonak
Vice Admiral

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
My customer service skills are sublime..

someone whose job it is to serve customers.
.. partially because I'm very picky about who I accept as customers. Nobody who says that to my face would be served at my establishment.

how dare I suggest that someone who works in the customer service industry is supposed to serve customers!
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:44 AM   #198
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Oh I know, fortunantly if I've only got a few items I head straight to the self-scan checkouts (if the store has them). But then you have the people who can't seem to grasp the concpet that when it says "15 items or less" or "about 15 items or less". It doesn't mean 25+ items.

But I digress.
When I find myself stuck behind someone who didn't notice the Express Lane sign, or is just so self-absorbed that they don't think it applies to them, I start doing my Sesame Street Count von Count impression. "One grocery! Ah-hah-hah! Two groceries! Ah-hah-hah!" One time, the person behind me in line joined in.

I'm actually a little surprised that this thread has gone as long as it has without a mention of Kristen Wiig's "Target Lady" SNL sketch - in which she loudly comments on every customer's purchases, shares her own experiences with the product, or sometimes runs off to get one for herself because she didn't realize it was on sale until she rang it up. I've never actually seen service like that, but it sounds like the sketch is exactly what's being described in this thread.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 03:06 PM   #199
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
No, by acting all shocked like he said something horrifying, and making hyperbolic assumptions that he thinks he's superior to cashiers or considers them automatons. Plus, using the roll-eyes emoticon. That's like the DefCon One of emoticon escalation.
I wasn't shocked. As I stated, I was surprised because I usually agree with Pingfah. I still think he's an intelligent poster and I enjoy his posts. I just disagree with him on this issue.

My view is that politeness should be a two-way street. It doesn't matter that the cashier is paid to be there. They're still people on an equal level with the costumer.

You're the one supplying the hyperbole.

Mr Awe

I'm amused/amazed at the idea that the customer and cashier have some kind of mutual responsibility to be polite to each other.

Customer service is the JOB of the cashier! It's a big chunk of what they're paid for. Running a cash register is pretty basic, so the customer service aspect of the job is what often distinguishes a good cashier from a bad one.

The customer, on the other hand, is NOT getting paid to be polite to the cashier, and they are supporting the cashier's employment by SHOPPING at the business where the cashier works.
For me, it's not about who is getting paid to do what. Common courtesy should be, well, common. Although, I know it's often not.

Be polite because it's the nice thing to do, not just because you're paid to be polite.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 03:09 PM   #200
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

No, YOU are!

<Shrug> Guess you didn't have much of come back.

Not surprising because advocating politeness, even when you're customer, is about as far from hyperbole as you can get!

Mr Awe
Old July 5 2013, 10:19 PM   #201
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

No, YOU are!

Not surprising because advocating politeness, even when you're customer, is about as far from hyperbole as you can get!

Mr Awe
I didn't have much of a comeback because I wasn't trying to have one. It was a joke meant to end the disagreement, dude. Silly response. Animated gif. Wink smiley.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:57 PM   #202
MacLeod
Admiral

No, by acting all shocked like he said something horrifying, and making hyperbolic assumptions that he thinks he's superior to cashiers or considers them automatons. Plus, using the roll-eyes emoticon. That's like the DefCon One of emoticon escalation.
I wasn't shocked. As I stated, I was surprised because I usually agree with Pingfah. I still think he's an intelligent poster and I enjoy his posts. I just disagree with him on this issue.

My view is that politeness should be a two-way street. It doesn't matter that the cashier is paid to be there. They're still people on an equal level with the costumer.

Mr Awe

I'm amused/amazed at the idea that the customer and cashier have some kind of mutual responsibility to be polite to each other.

Customer service is the JOB of the cashier! It's a big chunk of what they're paid for. Running a cash register is pretty basic, so the customer service aspect of the job is what often distinguishes a good cashier from a bad one.

The customer, on the other hand, is NOT getting paid to be polite to the cashier, and they are supporting the cashier's employment by SHOPPING at the business where the cashier works.

If a customer wants to talk on a cell phone and completely ignore a cashier, that's fine, because the customer's whole reason for being there is to buy a product, NOT to engage in chit-chat with the cashier. Customer-employee is NOT a two-way street, nor is it an equal relationship.

I have had cashier jobs and customer service positions, and I would never have considered that a customer had an "equal" responsibility to be polite to me. It's my JOB to be polite to them, no matter how they treat me, but the reverse is not true.

I certainly agree that cashiers should be treated with respect, but I don't even think that talking on a cell phone while at a check-out line is disrespect. It's not like the customer's purpose in being there is to talk to the cashier, and they're under no obligation to do so.
The majority of comments thus far not just on here but on other sites seem to support the cashier that the customer was being rude by talking on her phone.

And whilst it is true that a cashier should be polite to a customers, if the customer was being rude in another manner than say by being on the phone by verbaling abusing the cashier most of us would say the cashier would be fully in their right to refuse them service.

In this case as has been mentioned several times, the problem was the cashier refused them service.

So would it not be fair to say both the cashier and the customer where at fault in different ways?

There is a follow up article to it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23190261
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:23 AM   #203
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

No, YOU are!

Mr Awe
I didn't have much of a comeback because I wasn't trying to have one. It was a joke meant to end the disagreement, dude. Silly response. Animated gif. Wink smiley.
Ha! Ok! My defense is that it was early in the day and my brain wasn't functional enough at that point to pick up on the humor!

Mr Awe
Old July 6 2013, 02:45 AM   #204
sonak
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe

If a customer wants to talk on a cell phone and completely ignore a cashier, that's fine, because the customer's whole reason for being there is to buy a product, NOT to engage in chit-chat with the cashier. Customer-employee is NOT a two-way street, nor is it an equal relationship.

I have had cashier jobs and customer service positions, and I would never have considered that a customer had an "equal" responsibility to be polite to me. It's my JOB to be polite to them, no matter how they treat me, but the reverse is not true.

I certainly agree that cashiers should be treated with respect, but I don't even think that talking on a cell phone while at a check-out line is disrespect. It's not like the customer's purpose in being there is to talk to the cashier, and they're under no obligation to do so.
The majority of comments thus far not just on here but on other sites seem to support the cashier that the customer was being rude by talking on her phone.

And whilst it is true that a cashier should be polite to a customers, if the customer was being rude in another manner than say by being on the phone by verbaling abusing the cashier most of us would say the cashier would be fully in their right to refuse them service.

In this case as has been mentioned several times, the problem was the cashier refused them service.

So would it not be fair to say both the cashier and the customer where at fault in different ways?

There is a follow up article to it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23190261

To be clear, I'm not defending being rude to a cashier. I'm simply arguing that a cashier and a customer are NOT in equivalent positions. The cashier, as I wrote, is there to serve the customer. The opposite however, is not true. The customer is there to buy a product or service. That's why many customers use self-checkout. To be sure, a lot of folks like talking to cashiers, and prefer an actual cashier to a self-checkout line.

However, it is up to the customer. They are under no obligation to chat with the cashier, and unless they were intefering or delaying other customers, I think that refusing service to a customer because they were on a phone is absurd. If you're enforcing politeness with rigid rules, then it's no longer really politeness.
Old July 6 2013, 04:08 AM   #205
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

If a customer is talking on the phone, listening to their MP3 player, chewing gum loudly, or are otherwise dismissive of the cashier, then, yes, they are being rude. It's up to the cashier, though, to be able to handle the situation without allowing it to affect customer service: More easily said than done.

I'm a veteran educator, but the circumstances of life have compelled me to also work in retail for the past couple of years. In fact, I just spent the evening ringing customers at the local B&N - even had an elderly gent ask, "why are you so happy?" (despite the fact that I had a fever before the Dayquil kicked in tonight). As a teacher, I've developed a pretty thick skin and I've learned not to take outward displays of disrespect personally and I know how to project a positive attitude, even when I'm not feeling particularly positive. But there are times when even I get ticked at a customer's behavior or attitude. Plus, not all cashiers have that defense mechanism, or know how to put a display of rude behavior aside and move on from the incident. That's just human nature. Plus, how much "customer service" training do people think cashiers actually get?

So while retail workers are paid to provide customer service, they are still people - who, more often than not, are still developing their thicker skins - and that does not absolve customers from the responsibility of their actions. Of course, customers can act any way they see fit, but it's better to treat the retail employees as individuals - not as nameless, faceless automatons. It doesn't take much effort, and really does help improve everyone's day.
Old July 8 2013, 02:32 PM   #206
Nick086
Commander

I have seen some customers get on their cell phones purposely so they wouldn't have to communicate to the cashier since they found what they were looking to purchase. There are some that act like they own the store and can do anything they want to. It seem to me some cashiers that go over and beyond end up getting the dismissive and condescending attitude. When they don't get that kind of cashier they complain to the Supervisor or Manager that cashier wasn't being courteous and professional.
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:11 PM   #207
MacLeod
Admiral

Treat others as you would wish them to treat you.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:00 PM   #208
Nick086
Commander

ehhh that doesn't always work.
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 10:11 PM   #209
iguana_tonante
Admiral

No. Treat others as they wish you to treat them. Maybe I want to be spanked and called Sister Sally and be told I am a bad, bad nun. I surmise other people might prefer a different treatment.
Old July 9 2013, 01:45 AM   #210
sonak
Vice Admiral

Nick086 wrote: View Post
I have seen some customers get on their cell phones purposely so they wouldn't have to communicate to the cashier since they found what they were looking to purchase. There are some that act like they own the store and can do anything they want to. It seem to me some cashiers that go over and beyond end up getting the dismissive and condescending attitude. When they don't get that kind of cashier they complain to the Supervisor or Manager that cashier wasn't being courteous and professional.

again, it's up to the customer. There's no rule that just because you go to a store you MUST chat with the cashier. I just don't understand that attitude. And a lack of a desire to chit-chat still doesn't excuse rude behavior from the cashier. When I was a cashier, my attitude was to follow the lead of the customer. I would just greet them politely, and if they didn't want to talk, or were on their phone, distracted or whatever, I just went off of that.