Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 6 2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Top41

Re: The Killing (Seasons 1-3)

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Watching season 3 on amazon to get caught up since my sweetie pie is stuck working. I'm already hooked. I'm going to go into withdrawal when I catch up with the live schedule and have to wait like everyone else.
I know--I'm anticipating the same problem once I get caught up!

Only two more eps of season two to go... can't wait to see where it's going to end up.

Also, I laughed out loud when Linden showed the badge on the elevator camera and smiled. Linden is awesome.
Old July 6 2013, 05:23 PM   #32
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I loved that scene. I've never seen a smile that said "fuck you" better than a raised middle finger, but that one did.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Top41

She has the best fake smile. It cracks me up.
Old July 8 2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Top41

I finished season two today. WOW... was that dark, especially that twist at the end. I cried when the family watched Rosie's movie. Such a sad ending! But then, the murder of a seventeen-year-old girl is always going to be a sad thing--sometimes procedural shows gloss over that sadness, in part because they only really have 43 minutes to solve the case. I feel like this show really did the sadness of it justice.

And the councilman was relevant, I suppose! I kind of wish we'd seen a little less of the campaign, but eh, it's a minor quibble. I get it now.

I do wonder if they knew from the outset who the killer was. I'd think they would have had to, but I'd be curious to know if that was indeed the case, or if they switched gears at any point.

I'm excited to start season three and catch up! I've got all six episodes on my DVR, so I'll probably start later this week/this coming weekend.
Old July 16 2013, 05:43 AM   #35
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Just got fully caught up with season three. I don't have a working television so I have to rely on streaming.

Bullitt is breaking my heart. That poor girl. She has a good heart, but all she gets is shit in return. Callie's disappeared; then she gets molested by that creep Mills; Lyric turned out to be a shallow twat who'd rather be with that loser Twitch and Holder rejected her because he was so angry about Lindon and what she was forced to endure.

Bullitt is Lindon 15 years younger. Ran away from the foster system. Alone. Guarded with her emotions but not yet completely emotionally stunted in an effort to protect herself. She has a powerful protective instinct for others, but she's on a downward spiral to becoming emotionally isolated like Lindon. Eventually she won't be able to trust or give anymore.

Lindon and Holder. Wow. I love, love, love the powerful platonic bond between them. Usually writers and directors can only manage that kind of friendship motif with two male characters but, with a superior actress in the role like Enos, it can be done. If she'd been cast as Watson in Elementary instead of the talentless Lucy Liu, I might give a shit about that show.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old July 22 2013, 04:00 PM   #36
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Is no one else still watching? Oh my God, last night's episode broke my heart into pieces for obvious reasons. What a malevolent fuck the "religious" guy in the cell block was. Yowza. That was some twisted shit.

Ahhhhh, Holder and Linden. She continues to fascinate with how unbelievably guarded she is. The directorial choices made during the scene where she came by to comfort him were masterfully done. He tries to kiss her (albeit only because of his strong emotions and despair at the moment); she holds back, but she doesn't touch him when he starts to cry. Most people would feel compelled to put their arms around someone crying, to hold their hand, touch their shoulder. Women are demonstrative, but Linden holds herself back even though she cares deeply for Holder as a person. It shows how cut off she is. Just going to the apartment itself to check on him must have been an act of will. Even the she had at the beginning of the season--he was just a kid to her. Linden opens up so rarely to anyone. It's a fascinating dynamic. Love it.

Such a sad episode. I knew it had to be coming, but it was so sad anyway. Hell, maybe Seward killed his wife after all. The son just wants to get him out, maybe?

Old July 23 2013, 08:17 PM   #37
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I just got caught up on the last two episodes. When what's his name slammed into Linden in the storage building and started beating her, I was yelling for Holder to get there, not because I thought the guy would do serious harm to Linden but because I wanted to see him kick the guys ass. Holder gets there but really doesn't beat the guy enough. But when he held him up and Linden started kicking him, I went nuts. Great scene. That was totally unexpected. Linden, like Scully, is tiny and not real physical so when she started kicking the guy -- I loved it. BTW, when Lindn yelled "HOLDERRRRR", anyone else think, "MOLDERRRRRR"?

How will Holder recover from this? He thinks to himself, If I'de only answered, Bullet would be alive". Linden hurrying down to the garage after finding her neclace among the rings was touching. Her and Holder's relationship has really developed. Don't know what to think if they're going for a romance if the show goes on. Saw an interviw with Enos and she was a bit coy when the question was asked. If I had my way, I'de keep it deep but platonic, but I said the same thing about Peter and Olivia in Fringe and grew to like their relationship.

Wow, "Krychek" working over Seward. That was well done. Did not see it coming. They've done a good job of this season of giving the "impatient" something to hang on to while still holding back some mystery for the rest of us. I am completely in the dark as to Seward. The most likely thing is that he killed his wife, but I'm sure not 100% convinced.

Somehow I feel like I'm going to feel a bit of a letdown once we find out all the answers at the end of the season. Well maybe they'll hold a little something back that we won't miss if the show doesn't get renewed but will enjoy seeing fleshed out if they do.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:06 AM   #38
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'm thinking Seward did kill his wife. She's not connected to these girls; who else could have done it?

Yeah, Linden and Holder definitely have a few Scully/Mulder vibes, but Scully and Mulder weren't nearly as emotionally broken as these two. The depth of their affection for each other surprises, but it's gratifying to see. Friendships are what really shine on screen. Usually it's two men, but it's great to see with a man and a woman.

Old July 26 2013, 02:36 AM   #39
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

This is such a well written and acted show. My wife and I started watching it on Netflix a few weeks ago, and marathoned the first two seasons and got up to date on season 3. After the last episode, I looked at my wife, remembering the twists at the end of the past two seasons, and said, "What aren't we seeing? Something is in here, and I'm not quite putting it together."

Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

And Mireille Enos is incredible.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:27 AM   #40
Top41

I'm going to start/catch up on season three this weekend!! I can't wait. I keep hearing how good this season is. So excited!

Also, Holder in a suit. [/shallow]
Old July 26 2013, 06:03 AM   #41
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Holder does clean up nicely. Then again, so does Linden. Mirielle Enos is a phenomenal actress.

It is a superbly acted show, ruaidhri, but it's not for the attention span impaired; that's for sure. You have to watch and think and conjecture about this, that, and the other thing. Which is why I love it, though. I sure hope Netflix will produce a season four if AMC doesn't pick it up.

Old July 27 2013, 05:46 PM   #42
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

I recall reading that many people didn't like the show because it was "slow." But I don't find it slow at all. I find it cerebral and quite masterful at characterization. There's something in every episode that makes you reconsider where you thought the story was going. And in retrospect, all the information you need to get the right hunch to solve the mystery is there, but they don't spell it out for you. I love that this show makes the viewer think, and invest themselves in the characters.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:20 PM   #43
Top41

I watched the first two episodes of season three last night--really liked them!! I am definitely into the street kids storyline. I care a little less about the guy on death row, but I'm sure as time goes by and we learn more about his story, he'll become more interesting. It's great to see Linden and Holder working together again! And to see Holder in a tank top. I love the suit on him--he looks really dignified and sexy in it.

And Linden is just awesome. She has this guarded smile that just says so much. I feel bad that her son chose to live with his dad, but story-wise, it probably frees the writers up from having to account for him in every episode (though the ep when he went missing and Linden and Holder looked for him was one of my favs).
Old July 28 2013, 10:18 PM   #44
sojourner
Admiral

You are in for such a punch to the gut in about 5 episodes.
Old July 29 2013, 02:50 AM   #45
Top41

sojourner wrote: View Post
You are in for such a punch to the gut in about 5 episodes.
Uh-oh! Watched two more. Still really loving this season. Still don't care about the dude on death row. Still think Holder is fine in his suit--and bummed from the preview that it looks like the hoodie is coming back. WTF??

Also, is it just me or are they kind of teasing a Linden/Holder romance? They're both noticing/commenting on each other's S.O.'s... which could just be a friend thing, but this is TV so I wonder. I loved the scene where Linden and Holder's partner (can't remember his name) are fighting over Holder's attention and taking swipes at each other.

These street kids break my heart. Two of them have already been raped and one is missing--presumed dead? So, so, so sad. I hope they're at least able to get Goldie, even if I'm guessing the P.O. officer will get away with what he did to Twitch. I really want to see Goldie go down for what he did to Bullet.