Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 5 2013, 10:17 PM   #106
JJohnson
Captain

Re: The Prime Alternative

On the really close up picture there, with those windows fogged up, the crew can't see out it seems. It's be kind of cool to see in and see a crew lounge or crew quarters along the saucer's edge. (Though that might take a while to render and get the same level of detail elsewhere on the image). It's a great image of the ship, I must say. I'm halfway to the point of wanting to see this rendered as if it were in the shuttle approach scene from ST09 just for kicks.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:13 AM   #107
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Re: The Prime Alternative ~ shuttle approach scene from ST09 ju

JJohnson wrote: View Post
On the really close up picture there, with those windows fogged up, the crew can't see out it seems. It's be kind of cool to see in and see a crew lounge or crew quarters along the saucer's edge. (Though that might take a while to render and get the same level of detail elsewhere on the image). It's a great image of the ship, I must say. I'm halfway to the point of wanting to see this rendered as if it were in the shuttle approach scene from ST09 just for kicks.
Thanks for all your kind words pal ... And Ricky would be the one to address your ideas on how best to render the crew seen through one or more of the saucer edge windows!
But as to your other wish request, "to see a shuttle approach scene from ST09"... Ricky has done that image a long time ago < see page 7 for full size render of the below >

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK
http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

Last edited by 1701TPA; July 7 2013 at 03:36 AM.
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:22 AM   #108
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Re: The Prime Alternative Class F shuttlecraft

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK
http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

Last edited by 1701TPA; July 7 2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old July 8 2013, 01:22 AM   #109
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Cjohnson1701 wrote: View Post
Hey Mad Man, just wanted to say great work and thank you for being an inspiration for me.

Also what programs did you use to render and composite?
Thank you, and you are welcome, of course. I did the modeling and rendering in Blender, version 2.4 was what I was using at the time for these. The composites were all put together in Photoshop. The videos were done the same way, just with After Effects and Premiere too.

Thanks again, guys.

-Ricky
Old July 8 2013, 02:34 AM   #110
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Hey Mad Man, just wanted to say great work and thank you for being an inspiration for me.

Also what programs did you use to render and composite?
Thank you, and you are welcome, of course. I did the modeling and rendering in Blender, version 2.4 was what I was using at the time for these. The composites were all put together in Photoshop. The videos were done the same way, just with After Effects and Premiere too.

Thanks again, guys.

-Ricky
Man, you do that all in Blender?! Nice! I would love to see what you can do with 3DS Max or Maya, cause if you can do near Professional level work with Blender, you could possibly land a job at ILM
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:40 AM   #111
sojourner
Admiral

^Um, Blender is a great 3d package and used by many "professionals".
Old July 8 2013, 07:31 AM   #112
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

If I offended anybody I'm sorry, just a lot of people I know who work in the VFX, or Games industry use Maya or 3DS Max. So if I came off as condescending on professionals who use Blender I do apologize.
Old July 8 2013, 08:40 PM   #113
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Man, you do that all in Blender?! Nice! I would love to see what you can do with 3DS Max or Maya, cause if you can do near Professional level work with Blender, you could possibly land a job at ILM
Ha, thanks. Not sure about that, but I feel like I get pretty good results out of it. There are guys doing some really cool stuff over at blenderartists.org .

If I offended anybody I'm sorry, just a lot of people I know who work in the VFX, or Games industry use Maya or 3DS Max. So if I came off as condescending on professionals who use Blender I do apologize.
No offense here, but I know the reputation Blender has picked up over the years. Since it's free, so many people try it but never progress past the playing stage. With the newer versions, they've really make some cool changes, that make it feel like some of the commercial apps.

I used Maya a long time ago when I had a free student version, 7 maybe? I played with Lightwave and Max some too, but I'm just too invested in Blender now.

-Ricky
Old July 8 2013, 08:44 PM   #114
JJohnson
Captain

Does this version of the shuttle use a landing strut either front or back?

And have you considered doing a rendering of the shuttlebay open perhaps? I'd be interested to see which way your version goes - more TOS or more ST09. Great work so far!
Old July 8 2013, 08:48 PM   #115
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
Vektor and deg3D have proven otherwise countless times already.
Nope. And I like their work a lot.

What good fan artists keep proving is that fans who are predisposed to think the TOS ship is good enough will find detail redesigns and renderings by good artists to be "proof" that the TOS ship is good enough. That's all.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 08:51 PM   #116
JJohnson
Captain

1701TPA wrote: View Post
PRIME ALTERNATIVE E Animation fly around :> http://www.mediafire.com/file/54wybl...rnative_HD.wmv
Very nice! Would it be difficult to kind of 'redo' the shuttle approach scene from ST-09 using your model?
Old July 8 2013, 09:10 PM   #117
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Does this version of the shuttle use a landing strut either front or back?

And have you considered doing a rendering of the shuttlebay open perhaps? I'd be interested to see which way your version goes - more TOS or more ST09. Great work so far!
Nope, no landing struts or gear, on this one. My idea for this was that it would land like a helicopter... it has those landing skids on the bottom of the nacelles that could also magnetize, to stick it to things.

I haven't built a shuttle bay interior for the model yet, but it'll probably look more like the TOS / TMP version. The physical model is going to have a custom shuttle bay designed by the builder, so I'll probably do it like that.

1701TPA wrote: View Post
PRIME ALTERNATIVE E Animation fly around :> http://www.mediafire.com/file/54wybl...rnative_HD.wmv
Very nice! Would it be difficult to kind of 'redo' the shuttle approach scene from ST-09 using your model?
You mean like a video? yeah, it could be done, it would just take time.

-Ricky
Old July 8 2013, 09:14 PM   #118
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Santaman wrote: View Post
Vektor and deg3D have proven otherwise countless times already.
Nope. And I like their work a lot.

What good fan artists keep proving is that fans who are predisposed to think the TOS ship is good enough will find detail redesigns and renderings by good artists to be "proof" that the TOS ship is good enough. That's all.
Yep, I agree with you.

I still don't understand the criticisms of the new ship, or why it's not OK to like both. It seems to be working OK for me so far.

-Ricky
Old July 8 2013, 10:14 PM   #119
1701TPA
Lieutenant

I Agree 100% with Ricky...
I Love the TOSE but, I also love the JJprise
here's a teaser poster Ricky did back in early 2010 (when we thought the 1/350 scale build was going to be completed in 2012
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/a...5&d=1373339283

-Rick

Shuttlecraft Departure < below >

Last edited by 1701TPA; July 9 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old July 8 2013, 11:03 PM   #120
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

It would be cool to do that, on that hand though if you really want a realistic version of that, and save on render times would be to model the interiors in a separate scene and comp them in, so you can get the depth and perspective needed.
That's my plan for the ship I'm working on, the USS Pike.