Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Starkers
Admiral

Re: The X-Files: for want of a modern cellphone...

Pah, a lack of modern mobile phones is nothing, go back a few decades and poor old Karl Kolchak had to get every obscure book out of the library and actually read them! Imagine how much easier his life would have been with Wikipedia!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 10:46 PM   #17
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I was recently re-watching Romancing the Stone & The Jewel of the Nile from the 1980s and ran into the same thing. Every once in a while, I would keep thinking, "Why doesn't someone just try their cellph-... oh... right."
Old July 7 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Starkers
Admiral

Or Die Hard, or any number of other films. One reason some films were a lot better, mobile phones are very useful, but from a dramatic perspective they can really drain tension out of a scene unless the writers make them useless in some way.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Shakaar
Captain

Of course, looking at it the other way, a lot of modern shows would be impossible without cell phones. Could you imagine trying to do 24 without them?
Old July 8 2013, 12:42 AM   #20
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it's always weird seeing those old flip-phones and big, clunky computers in old movies and TV shows now.
I still use a Nokia flip-open cellphone. It works.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Modern technology would ruin the "X-files".
The X-Files is hardly unique in that respect. How many movies and TV shows from the pre-cellular age have plot points that depend on a character being able to get to a phone -- or not being able to get to a phone? All those stories would have to be written differently today.
I bet every episode would end with Mulder checking his cellphone and finding that his entire photo library had mystery been deleted. And then a shadowy figure walks out of frame, and Mulder chases him, and when he turns the corner the shadowy figure is gone, and Mulder is left with an empty phone, which he then throws against the wall.

Then the FBI stops allowing him to carry a company phone because he keeps breaking them.
Of course, Mulder learns from this and buys his own secret cellphone that can't be hacked into or fucked with, because the FBI doesn't know that it exists! Then, he puts something on it like Spotflux or PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) so that all of his data's encrypted.
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:55 AM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

Lots of shadows and that music really does set the atmosphere.
Old July 8 2013, 01:14 AM   #22
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Shakaar wrote: View Post
Of course, looking at it the other way, a lot of modern shows would be impossible without cell phones. Could you imagine trying to do 24 without them?

WHERE'S THE NEAREST PAY PHONE?!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:17 AM   #23
Warped9
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Pah, a lack of modern mobile phones is nothing, go back a few decades and poor old Karl Kolchak had to get every obscure book out of the library and actually read them! Imagine how much easier his life would have been with Wikipedia!
The reason I thought about the cellphone issue is because The X-Files came along only a few years before phones with cameras became available.
Old July 8 2013, 01:41 AM   #24
sojourner
Admiral

Some things just instantly date a show, like episodes of Law and Order that have the twin towers in the opening credits.
Old July 8 2013, 02:56 AM   #25
Green Shirt
Commodore

scotpens wrote: View Post
I still use a Nokia flip-open cellphone. It works.
I use a Nokia 6750 flip phone that's five years old. I'll probably keep it till it falls apart.
Old July 8 2013, 03:17 AM   #26
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The series ended in 2002. Were cell phone cameras really "standard fare" at that point? I had my first cell phone in 2005, and I honestly can't remember it having a camera, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Oh yes, I had a phone with a (no doubt rudimentary) video camera around then, and if I did you can take it as red basic camera phones were avaliable as I'm always a late adopter. Especially as, thanks to the joys of product placement, Mulder and Scully always had top of the line phones.
The first consumer-level "camera phone" came out in 2000 in Japan (2002 in the US) and it took a few more years before cameras became a standard feature.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:52 AM   #27
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I keep telling my son that the plot of almost every Seinfeld would be destroyed by a cell phone.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:54 AM   #28
Third Nacelle
Captain

I got my first camera phone sometime around 2000 or 2001. The camera was a separate attachment that snapped onto the bottom of the phone.

It took really grainy photos at a 400x300 resolution... so about the same quality as a lot of photos Mulder took as hard evidence.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:59 AM   #29
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Don't remember ever seeing anything like that. Other than maybe the Game Boy Camera. Do you remember what it was called?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:11 AM   #30
theenglish
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Some things just instantly date a show, like episodes of Law and Order that have the twin towers in the opening credits.
But this isn't really a problem when the show is actually set in that period. In the X-Files, the characters are actually in the nineties and Scully makes assumptions based on the knowledge she has.

Where this becomes a problem is when a show set in the future becomes anachronistic because of new technology/science developments or even things like the discovery of the Titanic or a lack of WWIII in the late nineties.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote