Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 5 2013, 02:17 AM   #2776
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was Soooo funny.

Boomer Rang is cool? Who the frakk would have guessed that?

My Cousin Vinnie Cool, but cool.

Although...

Wasn't Boomer a member of the Thunderbolts in their spacetime adventures for the last year?

Continuitywise that's a bit suspect.

I mean you've all noticed that lady mastermind is running roughshot trying to take over the world in two different comics at the moment?

Yes, and Spider-man is saving the world in Ten comics a month.

But it's like the assistant editors don't smoke outside in the rain any more.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:03 PM   #2777
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Read avengers AI #1. It was good, but Pym was acting bizarrely, like Tony Stark without the armor or Goatee. It was noticeable, and probably the only major problem I had with the book. I heard it has something to do with Age of Ultron (which I couldn't get past the first issue of) which somehow turned Pym into Hank "Tony Stark" Pym. Regardless of why his characterization is really off, I hope it doesn't stay that way too long. The book is really interesting, but Pym acting like a knock off Stark (personality wise) is pretty lame and not a good read. Beside that, the book is good, and much better than the stuff Hickman is pulling out of his butt.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:16 PM   #2778
Mr Light
Admiral

Avengers AI did nothing for me and the art was very subpar.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:17 PM   #2779
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what is Hank Pym's "personality"?

He would be in the same boat as Banner over in Indestructible looking for some damn respect finally, especially with Stark and Richards both off planet, it's his/their time in the sun.

There was a line something like "the A team is dead, it's up to Vhelma and Shaggy to save the day." in the UK version of Primeval, after the leads seemed to have bought the farm during a crisis.

Remember. We don't know Pym very well, he was replaced by a Skrull in the mid 80s.

(Yeaaaaaah right.)

Old July 5 2013, 11:25 PM   #2780
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, his personality is (or was) more like Reed richards than Tony stark. Not the same, but closer to the genius who is more into science than the guy making sarcastic comments while fighting guys in his armored suit. I like Tony stark (when he's done well) but it just isn't Pym at all.

As for the secret invasion thing, I always read that as the skrull taking over pym probably after Dissassembled, or maybe just before, but definately not in the 80's. He was replaced awhile after wasp and pym finally broke it off permenantly (from scenes that were shown around the time SI ended), and they were still together during the avengers run that lead to Dissassembled, or atleast still having sex (I know that from a rather disturbing scene in an Avengers issue from the series that ended with dissassembled), but they were definately a couple up until the mid to late ninties, just based off avengers comics I've read from that period where they are definately a couple. So, I think the skrull came in much later than the 80's stuff.
Old July 5 2013, 11:50 PM   #2781
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mocking bird was replaced in the mid thirties of West Coast Avengers, it was the Skrull who changed her mind about the Divorce, and I could have sworn I saw a Flashback that set Hank's swapout at about the same time.

The only truly distinct thing about Hank, is that if a woman pisses him off, he breaks her nose, which is almost exactly what was about to happen until Agent Chang chemically castrated Doctor Pym.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

I stand corrected, as usual.

Old July 5 2013, 11:58 PM   #2782
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Wait, according to SI, I thought Mockingbird wasn't really replaced. She dissappeared when she supposedly "died" in the comics, and thats when she was captured, but they didn't have a scrull replacement until those skrulls dressed like old versions of the heroes all landed together and were confronted by the current versions of the heroes. Then, Hawkeye met a skrull with all the memories of Mockingbird, and thought it was her. I was sure they said she was captured by skrulls instead of killed like everyone thought, and that was how they brought her back, not that she was replaced then the skrull replacement killed.

As for Pym, we know he was the one who attacked his wife, based off a conversation he had with Jocasta in some comic right after SI. When they showed the scene where he was replaced, Wasp was in one part and I think, the way it ended up, it was obvious that Pym and her were already at the point where they were completely done. I forget when it was shown (probably in Mighty Avengers, maybe the same issue with the conversation with Jocasta) but they talked, then he went off to screw a random woman, who turned out to be a skrull. All that made it seem to me that he was replaced either right before or after dissassembled.
Old July 6 2013, 12:32 AM   #2783
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Anyone that tries to redeem Henry or remove what he did from history is a massive asshole, or probably Geoff Johns (Hal Jordan, didn't decimate the Green Lantern Crops and destroy the universe? #####.). That was never in doubt... What I loved though was the issue of Avengers Initiative where Skrull Pym is riding a nuclear missile in flight like a bronco steering it away from the school and the thought bubble reads "And they all still just think of me as the guy who hit his wife."

The Crossing, which was quickly swept under the rug, claims that Pym was driven insane by kang which is why he snapped and belted Janet.

ARRGGGH!

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix5/m...ird_skrull.htm

NONONO!

This is not a good day for me.

Old July 6 2013, 12:55 AM   #2784
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I liked Avengers A.I. Enough to be in for the first arc, at least. I didn't think Pym's personality was too off in comparison to how Dan Slott portrayed him in Mighty Avengers.
Old July 7 2013, 12:11 PM   #2785
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Okay. Now I'm tweaking.

Uncanny X-Men.

Tweaking.

Stephen Strange is not the same sort of letch as Tony Stark, Stark is entitled and believes the universe owes him sex because he's awesome. Stephen on the other hand is always on Mushrooms or something altogether the same but better than mushrooms, so he doesn't understand why everyone in the universe is not knocking boots, including but not primarily himself. 3/4s of his supposedly documented adventures have just been acid flashbacks in the back of a K-mart parking lot where he's starring off with raccoons for expired pastries in the garbage skips.

Strange is the professor who sleeps with the hot co-ed.

Stark is the boss who bends his secretary over his desk.

(Neither is good. It's an obvious abuse of power.)

The same but different.

Golly.

Stephen's new Apprentice.

Golly, golly.

How old is Illyanna supposed to be anyway?

Old July 7 2013, 05:00 PM   #2786
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Wasn't Pym's origin in AI just a straight lift of Ultimate Reed Richards?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 06:25 PM   #2787
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Wasn't Pym's origin in AI just a straight lift of Ultimate Reed Richards?
I hope isn't going to go nuts and nuke Washington D.C.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 07:57 PM   #2788
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Kang nuked Washington already.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:29 AM   #2789
Mike Farley
Commodore

Illyanna is the same age as Kitty Pryde, so early 20's I guess.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:37 AM   #2790
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Has it really been that long since Kitty joined the team? She was 13 or 14 when she joined, right?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote