The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 7 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why is Data so likeable?

I'm currently watching "The Offspring" and was thinking about the question: what makes Data so likeable as a person?

What are your thoughts and reasons for liking Data?
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Re: Why is Data so likeable?

I think a big part is that he treats everyone with respect. He doesn't have prejudice or pride or anything, so whether its a senior officer, a 'lower decks' officer or a civilian, he listens to them and treats them as equals. He's even polite and civil to his captor in The Most Toys!

His childlike innocence and na´vety, combined with his massive strength and intelligence, make him kind of the type of person the human race would aspire to be in an idealistic, optimistic future, where you can afford to be innocent and naive because there's no greed or selfishness or people taking advantage of you.
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

sadsquid wrote: View Post
make him kind of the type of person the human race would aspire to be
I agree. It is ironic that Data aspired to be like humanity, when perhaps it should have been humanity which aspired to be like Data.
Old July 7 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
d'Anconia
Lieutenant Commander

His lack of emotions (in the episodes) is what gives him the likeable personality. The only judgement he can make is whether an action is moral or immoral. He doesn't feel prejudice, jealousy, hatred against anyone else (unlike other characters), which is a trait that sets his personality aside from others. Also, a person that always makes a moral decision can't be despised!
Old July 7 2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^ Those are good points. I wonder, how much of morality is made up of logic and emotion? Said another way, what is a 100% moral decision? Is it one which is purely logical, purely non-emotional, some combination of the two, or based upon other factors?
Old July 7 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
sonak
Vice Admiral

sadsquid wrote: View Post
I think a big part is that he treats everyone with respect. He doesn't have prejudice or pride or anything, so whether its a senior officer, a 'lower decks' officer or a civilian, he listens to them and treats them as equals. He's even polite and civil to his captor in The Most Toys!

His childlike innocence and na´vety, combined with his massive strength and intelligence, make him kind of the type of person the human race would aspire to be in an idealistic, optimistic future, where you can afford to be innocent and naive because there's no greed or selfishness or people taking advantage of you.

that's a good point about the "treats everyone with respect" without regards for things like rank or status. You're right, you got politeness and civility no matter who are what you were.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I also find his eagerness to learn and lack of guile quite charming. I love his demeanor when being taught to dance by Beverly in Data's Day. The whole scene is beautifully done.

And sometimes it's the tiniest things that I enjoy. Once in a while he does something so...human (for want of a better word) that you cannot believe that anyone would ever doubt his sentience. I think it's also in Data's Day when he is sitting at a work station thinking to himself and he catches his finger tapping...I don't know why, but I love it.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 06:02 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
I'm currently watching "The Offspring" and was thinking about the question: what makes Data so likeable as a person?

What are your thoughts and reasons for liking Data?
He's programmed to be likable. Especially after Lore. But as to why I like him? Well in a way he's looking at the world through a child's eyes with the same sense of wonder, yet without the other annoying traits of children. He's innocent and always polite. And honest to a fault.
Old July 7 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Mutai Sho-Rin

As a corollary, would a real human so lacking in guile, prejudice and emotion be so appealing. Unfortunately, a piece of me says no. His android uniqueness makes Data's traits desirable in a very special way.
Old July 7 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

Oh, time for an unpopular Star Trek opinion. I'm actually one of the very few fans that finds Data trying. I don't dislike him, but he's not even close to making my top 20 list of favorite Star Trek characters.

I guess for me, he's an interesting character, but I would find it difficult to have patience with him and his endless questions and such. He's also unintentionally funny which I guess for me isn't as humorous as say, Damar and Worf who are sarcastic and mean to be so.

Data's okay, but I don't get the obsession with him.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

He's not a jerk.
He doesn't judge.
He strives to improve himself.
He has a cat. I have a cat.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 09:06 PM   #12
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

I don't think anyone's said it explicitly, so I'll add in a nomination for Brent Spiner's performance of the qualities that others have mentioned. In the wrong hands, the same character on paper could come off as creepy and annoying. There was a brief learning curve, but Spiner nailed it.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Sadara wrote: View Post
Oh, time for an unpopular Star Trek opinion. I'm actually one of the very few fans that finds Data trying. I don't dislike him, but he's not even close to making my top 20 list of favorite Star Trek characters.

I guess for me, he's an interesting character, but I would find it difficult to have patience with him and his endless questions and such. He's also unintentionally funny which I guess for me isn't as humorous as say, Damar and Worf who are sarcastic and mean to be so.

Data's okay, but I don't get the obsession with him.
You have a kindred spirit here. I tolerate Data in small doses. I don't like him, and I don't get why Spiner the actor is considered so wonderful.

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
He's not a jerk.
He doesn't judge.
He strives to improve himself.
He has a cat. I have a cat.
He has a cat that apparently had a sex change, and Data doesn't consider his cat sentient. No real cat lover thinks that.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Captain Rob
Commodore

Data doesn't have a cat.

Spot has an android.
Old July 7 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Dream
Admiral

It's very jarring whenever a character like Pulaski is mean to Data. Feels like someone kicking a puppy.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote