Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2013, 04:46 PM   #46
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: What stories from history would you like to see made into movies?

Deckerd wrote: View Post
William Wallace would be a fine subject for a historical film.

Reminds me of the IMDB item on Yankee Doodle Dandy:
Many facts were changed or ignored to add to the feel of the movie. For example, the real George M. Cohan was married twice, and although his second wife's middle name was Mary, she went by her first name, Agnes. In fact, the movie deviated so far from the truth that, following the premiere, the real George M. Cohan commented, "It was a good movie. Who was it about?"
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:45 AM   #47
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Another one recently came to mind. Rather than an event, it's a place that had a pivotal role in history. Bletchly Park, where Alan Turing among others, with the help of Bombe and Enigma, broke ciphers and codes during WWII.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:29 AM   #48
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I still say that the story of the Galveston hurricane, if it were in the hands of a serious, evocative and artistic director like Ang Lee or Katheryn Bigelow, (please no James Cameron) could be profoundly moving. I found pictures at a Galveston historical site--not just pictures of damage, but pictures from before the storm taken in the late 1890s and the summer of 1900. I wonder how much the city of today could be used for photography. There are no more of the huge bath houses on stilts that sat in the surf for beach visitors who wanted to feel the surf on their faces. There's a sea wall now; the entire city was raised 9 feet by pouring bags of cement and concrete. On Sept 8, 1900, the highest point in the city was 9 feet above sea level. It was a city sitting on a sand dune. The Gulf was level with the island then. You saw the Gulf in the distance everywhere.
Sea wall site before it existed.

bath house summer 1900-wiped out by waves in 2 hours

One of the numerous magnificent upscale Galveston homes circa 1899. Notice its foundation doesn't sit on the ground, quite typical at the time the nearer to the beach.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; June 13 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:43 AM   #49
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

And after....
Beach homes, September 9, 1900

Neighborhood from previous house photo, Sept. 9, 1900

Upscale Galveston home, September 9, 1900

Thousands of bodies were under all that rubble. People died from the storm surge when it pushes all the rubble inward on to the island. It was a wall of debris. House after house collapsed.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; June 13 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:53 AM   #50
trevanian
Rear Admiral

For near-Earth working class space stories, Allan Steele's ORBITAL DECAY & LUNAR DESCENT - also Ben Bova's MILLENNIUM, though it would have to be presented as alternate past history like WATCHMEN.

YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN - the revised version, but not the STAR WOLF stuff, by David Gerrold ... I remember taking a yellow marker to the book and having the better part of a screenplay afterward (this was when they were actually going to make it, calling it STARHUNT with Gerd Oswald directing and Andy Probert doing concept art.) A genuine psychological study that wasn't about vfx fireworks.

ASSAULT ON THE LIBERTY. James Ennes, author, also there for when it happened.

Back in 67 the Israelis repeatedly strafed and bombed one of our spy ships in international waters ... then they torpedoed it and machine gunned the life rafts. Somehow the ship stayed afloat, though obviously with lots of casualties.

It is a helluva sea story, even if you can get past the 'they're supposed to be our allies' part. Trouble is anytime anybody suggests making it, they are called anti-semitic. I actually used it as inspiration for a TNG spec script (the one that actually got me in to pitch, in fact.)

There's a lot of blame to go round on it, since messages moving LIBERTY further away got misrouted all over the globe, and then other messages were sent using protocols the ship couldn't read and receive. Plus there's some interesting mystery element, about a sub that was nearby and had to remain underwater while it all happened, with a rumor that the sub skipper turned on his film cameras through the periscope and captured a good hunk of it (unsubstantiated, obviously.)

I guess it took a couple decades before folks started admitting Moishe Dayan ordered the attack, but still people keep claiming it was all in error (as if you can't see a large US flag in good winds!) I don't think Israel paid even token damages till the 90s.

Some very interesting characters among the crew, especially the ship's XO -- whoever plays him with the proper gusto would be a lucky actor to have such a memorable role.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:57 AM   #51
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
... Likewise, the makings of Star Wars and Apocalypse Now would make great flicks.
[/QUOTE]

TMP also ... for SW, substitute just the formation and tribulations of ILM for SW ... I did a huge article on it and have been messing with a screenplay on the same for a long while now, in the vein of RKO 281 meets BARBARIANS AT THE GATE.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 09:17 AM   #52
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

The Boston Molasses Disaster.
The Rum Rebellion. (It could be done as a sequel to a film about the Bounty mutiny...)
The Battle of Kadesh. (Egyptians vs. Hittites; what's not to like.)
Hannibal's campaign against Rome.
The Fall of Rome in 476.
The Fall of Byzantium in 1453.
The Fall of Jerusalem in 587 BC.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:33 PM   #53
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
-Two is a best-guess counterfactual of what might have happened had he survived Dallas.
I'm a big fan of alternate history but you don't see a lot of hit on film. HBO did The Fatherland which was a good film for the small screen about what if Germany hadn't lost the war.

There are several other moments that would be interesting to see "what-ifs," for e.g. had England won the war of Independence.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 03:39 AM   #54
lennier1
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
HBO did The Fatherland which was a good film for the small screen about what if Germany hadn't lost the war.
Read the book, it paints an even scarier picture.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:53 AM   #55
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I suppose it has probably already been explored a lot in literature, but I would like to see a movie alternate history in which the South won the civil war. I know there was a pseudo-documentary about that a few years ago, but I heard it wasn't that good.
Old July 12 2013, 08:49 AM   #56
MacLeod
Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Another one recently came to mind. Rather than an event, it's a place that had a pivotal role in history. Bletchly Park, where Alan Turing among others, with the help of Bombe and Enigma, broke ciphers and codes during WWII.
Isn't there a film called "Enigma" that deals with in part of the code-breakers.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:28 PM   #57
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I would like to see a movie about a cutting-edge technological arms race taking part in the middle of a war. Both sides are furiously pushing to get their new technology working, knowing the first side to field the new weapon could take an upper hand in the conflict. You could backlight the engineers and scientists struggle to complete their projects with mentions of the set backs their respective militarys have been suffering to emphasize the urgency of the efforts. Then, in a bit of crazy drama for the final scenes, you could have BOTH sides complete their prototypes and rush them into battle where they actually end up confronting each other in a battle of futuristic technologies! As for a title, how about The Monitor and The Merrimac ?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote