Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 5 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Nova morality question

I have to rewatch the episode, but were there even enough people left to build a diverse genetic pool?
Old July 5 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Charles Phipps
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
I have to rewatch the episode, but were there even enough people left to build a diverse genetic pool?
I wonder if that's a question we're meant to ask since TNG had Picard rescue another similarly sized race.
Old July 5 2013, 11:03 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder if that's a question we're meant to ask since TNG had Picard rescue another similarly sized race.
If you're talking about Homeward, Picard didn't save them Nikolai Rozhenko did. And his motives weren't entirely altruistic.
Old July 5 2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Charles Phipps
Commander

What I'm saying is are we meant to assume they're going to die out in a generation or two or are "saved"?
Old July 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

What I'm saying is are we meant to assume they're going to die out in a generation or two or are "saved"?
Just because the writers don't think through the scenario thoroughly, doesn't mean we shouldn't.

I don't think there were enough Boraalans to survive in a hostile environment. Either the planet or inbreeding one would get them.
Old July 6 2013, 12:15 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

As I said, the characters seemed rather cheerful in the final scene in the captain's mess, so I think it's pretty clear that it's meant to be a happy ending, that Nadet convinced the Novans to trust the Enterprise crew and accept relocation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:43 AM   #22
Charles Phipps
Commander

Point taken.
Old July 6 2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Terra Nova is among the bottom 1% of all Star Trek, so I really don't see a point in wasting time analyzing the moral issues around it.

Just my 2c
Old July 6 2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^And yet you still made the effort to talk about how it wasn't worth the effort to talk about...

Old July 6 2013, 06:16 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Terra Nova is among the bottom 1% of all Star Trek, so I really don't see a point in wasting time analyzing the moral issues around it.

Just my 2c
That one-percent is usually the episodes that offer the most stimulating discussions. I know the time I've spent discussing the bad episodes is far more than the time I've spent discussing the good episodes.
Old July 7 2013, 12:30 AM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I can't understand why people hate Terra Nova. I thought it was interesting and touching. I liked seeing a failed colony years later and why.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 12:37 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It just seemed overly cliche to me from the name Terra Nova to the overused radition destroying civilization forcing the to live under ground and naturally hating the evil surface people who forced them to live like this. Not to mention the premise of the episode makes no sense. No one bothered to check in on this colony... ever? It's easier to go under ground and live there than to just... walk away? And why do weapons in Enterprise never hurt people?
Old July 7 2013, 12:51 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

R. Star wrote: View Post
Not to mention the premise of the episode makes no sense. No one bothered to check in on this colony... ever?
Star travel wasn't easy before the Warp 5 engine. It would've taken months to get there, and with no certainty of what they'd find, maybe it wasn't deemed worth the risk. Although I suppose they could've asked the Vulcans to find out.

It's easier to go under ground and live there than to just... walk away?
Spending too much time above ground would kill them. A large portion of the planet was irradiated. They couldn't have walked far enough before they succumbed to the radiation. Remember, they had to be transplanted to a whole other continent on the other side of the planet. Not exactly within walking distance.

Old July 7 2013, 12:59 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Of course it's not explained why no one asked the Vulcans to check it out.. but maybe the Vulcans have spent the last umpteen years making it very clear they will never check anything out for the humans?

As to the cliche, I think we're all on a cliche arc where a particular one will just tip us over the edge on that topic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 02:42 AM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I can't understand why people hate Terra Nova. I thought it was interesting and touching. I liked seeing a failed colony years later and why.
It's kind of a 'meh' episode. It's not terrible, but nothing really distinguishes it either.