RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,196
Posts: 5,345,845
Members: 24,604
Currently online: 609
Newest member: LanCo96

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 6 2013, 04:23 PM   #31
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
1. And I disagree with what you disagree about. They made brand-new uniforms for the Kelvin's crew and the nuEnterprise crew, not to mention brand new cadet uniforms, K. Maru training uniforms, etc. if the TNG prime universe had been shown (Spock Prime came from seven or so years after Nemesis), they would have made brand-new Starfleet uniforms too.
Sorry, but no. New uniforms were made for the new Abrams movies because there were totally different people behind it that had to create everything from scratch. That wouldn't have been the case if they had just continued to make TNG movies instead. They would have kept the existing uniforms, sets, etc., and would have saved millions in the budget.
2. No, it's not saying the same thing.
It really is.
3. This discussion seems to have devolved into a pissing match, so I'm going to gracefully bow out.
Not really, it's still a civilized discussion, but good day.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

*facepalm*

Again, you're misunderstanding me. Let me try to be as clear as possible about this.

1. If they had continued with the TNG movies right after Nemesis, yes, I agree that they would have continued using the same FC uniforms, because there'd be no reason to not use them. I agreed with you on that, but stated that that wasn't my point. See next entry.

2. My point was, if they had made a new TNG movie seven years after Nemesis, instead of Star Trek '09, then by that time all the previous uniforms and props would have been sold off and the production department would have had to start from scratch anyway, just like Bad Robot did. Since it would have been seven years later, there'd be no reason to replicate uniforms, props, etc. from Nemesis. Same thing if Star Trek '09 would have had scenes from 2387 in the prime universe. The comic tie-in shows that the TNG crew were wearing uniforms from Star Trek Online, obviously in an effort to promote that video game. There's no reason not to assume that if there were future scenes in ST09, or a new TNG movie set in 2387, those would have been the uniforms we would have seen.

3. Now I'm really done. Really.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:51 PM   #33
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
*facepalm*

Again, you're misunderstanding me. Let me try to be as clear as possible about this.

1. If they had continued with the TNG movies right after Nemesis, yes, I agree that they would have continued using the same FC uniforms, because there'd be no reason to not use them. I agreed with you on that, but stated that that wasn't my point.
But that was my point, and the only thing I was talking about.

See next entry.

2. My point was, if they had made a new TNG movie seven years after Nemesis, instead of Star Trek '09, then by that time all the previous uniforms and props would have been sold off and the production department would have had to start from scratch anyway, just like Bad Robot did. Since it would have been seven years later, there'd be no reason to replicate uniforms, props, etc. from Nemesis. Same thing if Star Trek '09 would have had scenes from 2387 in the prime universe. The comic tie-in shows that the TNG crew were wearing uniforms from Star Trek Online, obviously in an effort to promote that video game. There's no reason not to assume that if there were future scenes in ST09, or a new TNG movie set in 2387, those would have been the uniforms we would have seen.
Oh no, I disagree with that. No, I doubt very much they would have sold off the existing uniforms and props if they were going to continue to make TNG movies. They would have kept those and sold off the things they were no longer going to use anymore.

And what happens in Star Trek Online would have no bearing on the movies, in fact, it would be the other way around.

3. Now I'm really done. Really.
Okay.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 08:15 PM   #34
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

I think it's a no-brainer that, had the TNG movie series somehow miraculously survived past Nemesis, they would have sooner rather than later come up with new uniforms. Regardless of how long-lived some uniforms may have been continuity-wise, production-wise TPTB couldn't stick with a single uniform for more than a handful of years.

TOS regular series (not counting pilots): 3 years
TMP: One movie--effectively 2 1/2 years until the next installment
TWOK+: Technically 9 years or so, but only 5 years before a new TV series with new uniforms was introduced
TNG Season 1 uniform: 2 years
TNG Season 3 uniform: 5 years, or only 3 1/2 before a new series with new uniforms came along
DS9 Season 1/VGR uniform: Technically 8 1/2 years, but only just under 4 years before a new movie series with a new uniform came along (and the uniform on DS9 was changed to match)
FC/Later DS9 uniform: 6 years (5 before a new TV series with new uniforms came along)
ENT uniform: 4 years
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 09:40 PM   #35
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I think it's a no-brainer that, had the TNG movie series somehow miraculously survived past Nemesis, they would have sooner rather than later come up with new uniforms.
Not really, because at best, the TNG gang would probably only have pumped out two more movies after Nemesis. Not really a big incentive to spend money on all-new uniforms if it isn't really necessary (it saves money).

I think new uniforms would likely come across if there were movies featuring a new post-TNG crew (not necessarily DS9 or VOY, but perhaps a new movie-only crew to carry things forward, either towards the end of the 24th-Century or into the 25th-Century).
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."

Last edited by C.E. Evans; July 6 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added the word "to"
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:15 AM   #36
Agonizer
Ensign
 
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Imagine being down to a planet with WoK-attired crewmembers while wearing your TNG skant.

What if Riker wore a skant when he put his foot up on the console? Poor Data.
Agonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 04:26 PM   #37
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

TOS Unform
First apperace: The Corbomite Maneuver, 2266
Last appearance: Turnabout Intruder, 2269 (TAS: The Counter-Clock Incident, 2270)

TMP Uniform
Only Apperance: The Motion Picture, Mid 2270s

TWOK Uniform
First Appearance: The Wrath of Khan, 2285
Last Appearance: holorecording in TNG: Family 2347
62-78 years

TNG1
First Appearance: photograph in TNG: Suddenly Human, 2353
Last Appearance: TNG: Shades of Gray (main cast), 2365

TNG2
First Appearance: TNG: Evolution, 2366
Last Appearance: DS9: Tears of the Prophets, 2374

DS9
First Appearance: DS9: Emissary, 2369
Last Appearance: DS9: The Ascent, 2373

FC
First Appearance: First Contact, 2373
Last Appearance: VOY: Timeless, 2390
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:17 PM   #38
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Oh no, I disagree with that. No, I doubt very much they would have sold off the existing uniforms and props if they were going to continue to make TNG movies. They would have kept those and sold off the things they were no longer going to use anymore.
No. If they knew they were going to make more films after Nemesis, but the next movie wasn't going to be for seven years, and sometime in that seven years they were going to auction off everything else, then the uniforms still would have been auctioned off. Once the new movie began preproduction, they would have used all that money they made off the auction to budget new uniforms, props, etc.

Squiggy wrote: View Post
TOS Unform
First apperace: The Corbomite Maneuver, 2266
Last appearance: Turnabout Intruder, 2269 (TAS: The Counter-Clock Incident, 2270)

TMP Uniform
Only Apperance: The Motion Picture, Mid 2270s

TWOK Uniform
First Appearance: The Wrath of Khan, 2285
Last Appearance: holorecording in TNG: Family 2347
62-78 years

TNG1
First Appearance: photograph in TNG: Suddenly Human, 2353
Last Appearance: TNG: Shades of Gray (main cast), 2365

TNG2
First Appearance: TNG: Evolution, 2366
Last Appearance: DS9: Tears of the Prophets, 2374

DS9
First Appearance: DS9: Emissary, 2369
Last Appearance: DS9: The Ascent, 2373

FC
First Appearance: First Contact, 2373
Last Appearance: VOY: Timeless, 2390
Cool list. Thanks!
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:50 PM   #39
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Squiggy wrote: View Post
TWOK Uniform
First Appearance: The Wrath of Khan, 2285
Last Appearance: holorecording in TNG: Family 2347
62-78 years
The earliest appearance of the TWOK reds was 2278, as per "Cause and Effect".
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Gadzooks. You're right.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:56 PM   #41
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Oh no, I disagree with that. No, I doubt very much they would have sold off the existing uniforms and props if they were going to continue to make TNG movies. They would have kept those and sold off the things they were no longer going to use anymore.
No. If they knew they were going to make more films after Nemesis, but the next movie wasn't going to be for seven years, and sometime in that seven years they were going to auction off everything else, then the uniforms still would have been auctioned off.
No. Like I said, those costumes would have still been in use and wouldn't have been auctioned off. Same thing for anything else that was still being used at the time.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 06:05 PM   #42
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

^ Like the actors.

Sometimes, I like to imagine the majority of the TNG actors were just like wardrobe in the movie years. There was probably an entire department at the studio where they just got hung up on hooks and kept until they were needed again for the next sequel.

They brought Marina Sirtis out and dusted her off for those Voyager episodes though.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 12:18 AM   #43
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
No. Like I said, those costumes would have still been in use and wouldn't have been auctioned off. Same thing for anything else that was still being used at the time.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Uniforms and costumes degrade over time. Paramount would have been more interested in selling them off ASAP to get even more money to produce new ones for a future film seven years down the line.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:22 PM   #44
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
No. Like I said, those costumes would have still been in use and wouldn't have been auctioned off. Same thing for anything else that was still being used at the time.
Sorry, but you're wrong.
Nope.
Uniforms and costumes degrade over time. Paramount would have been more interested in selling them off ASAP to get even more money to produce new ones for a future film seven years down the line.
There's no reason to remotely believe that at all.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:27 PM   #45
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

Wouldn't they prefer to sell off ill-fitting costumes rather than retain them for a cast that was consistently aging against their better judgment? Certainly Frakes of 2009 wouldn't fit in his uniform costume from 2002!
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
tng uniforms, twok uniforms

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.