Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 5 2013, 08:43 AM   #1681
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Exactly, not long after. If Arya was going to retrieve the body via warg, we'd have seen that in the finale.
They could still have that scene in the first episode of the next season.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 12:42 PM   #1682
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I imagine that Stoneheart's birth will be the last moment of episode one next season. I doubt Arya's warging will play a part, though perhaps Nymeria will make a brief appearance leading them to her?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 04:41 PM   #1683
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Empire Online reports that Neil Marshall, director of "Blackwater," is returning to helm the season four finale, which will feature the Battle for the Wall. If that's all true, they may be shuffling the order of events, or Jon's election as Lord Commander may be held off until season five. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some miscommunication, and the episode is climactic, but not the actual finale.

Edit: Winter is Coming has been told by its own sources that the report is "not entirely accurate."
Old July 5 2013, 05:13 PM   #1684
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Based on previous seasons, one might imagine the battle for the Wall to be Episode 9.
Old July 5 2013, 06:35 PM   #1685
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I wonder how they'll pull that off? The show has shown us how huge the wall is, so how they heck are they supposed to be able to hit each other with arrows from that difference?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:55 PM   #1686
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

As I recall, only a few arrows actually made it to the top of the wall in the book. Their main (flawed) strategy was to break through the tunnel using the giants.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 06:02 PM   #1687
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I imagine that Stoneheart's birth will be the last moment of episode one next season. I doubt Arya's warging will play a part, though perhaps Nymeria will make a brief appearance leading them to her?
I tend to doubt they're actually going to show Stoneheart's birth. I thought they were, but I think the place to do that was the finale.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 11:02 PM   #1688
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
I tend to doubt they're actually going to show Stoneheart's birth. I thought they were, but I think the place to do that was the finale.
I thought so too, but I wonder if they will keep her low-key throughout the next few seasons. Had they introduced her now, I think casual viewers would expect her to be a major part of the plot going forward. But as we know, she starts off as a rumor, a shadow, quietly picking off the Freys.
Old July 7 2013, 11:55 AM   #1689
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
The amount of screen time Mance has is in line with his appearances in A Storm of Swords, which are memorable but pretty minimal.
In the books, the first time Jon sees Mance he approaches the gruff Tormund instead because Mance is a campy bard and not what he expected a warrior to be like. In the show they KEEP Jon mistaking Tormund for Mance but it's completely pointless as it's just Jon mistaking a gruff guy for... another gruff guy. I have no fucking clue what the point of that scene was in the show.

In the book, Mance expresses sadness for Halfhand's death. In the show he's delighted and offers to shake Jon's hand for it. The character is completely dumbed down.

We're going to get two more years of Cersei and Margaery exchanging veiled threats before anything actually happens between them.
In A Feast For Crows, Margaery isn't a schemer. Cersei's insanity, motivated by Maggy the Frog's prophecy, leads her to assume Margaery is an ultra-manipulative schemer when she's really not up to much. In the show.. Margaery is exactly what the ultra-insane Cersei thought she was in Book 4. They've completely missed the point, so it won't be nearly as interesting. Cersei will come across as sane and rational.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 12:22 PM   #1690
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I have no fucking clue what the point of that scene was in the show.
It's just Benioff and Weiss putting stuff from the books on screen without thinking about how it conflicts with their interpretation of the characters. Like when they use Stannis/Davos dialogue about duty and good not outweighing bad, even though TV Stannis doesn't care about those things. Or the Cersei/Robert scene from season one, which ("seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind" notwithstanding) is well-done in its own right, but hard to reconcile with the characters' other actions.

In A Feast For Crows, Margaery isn't a schemer.
Which is not to say that she's not clever-- she's certainly working to ingratiate herself with Tommen, and I think generally she knows more than she lets on. But the overtly manipulative TV version is definitely something else altogether, another example of the show's utter lack of interest in women who don't fit the feisty "Strong Female Character" mold.
Old July 7 2013, 12:34 PM   #1691
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Margaery in the books was a conspirator in Joffrey's murder, so I'd hardly call it a big change to portray her as a schemer. She's definitely more forthright, but I think that's partly another instance of a character being aged up.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 12:41 PM   #1692
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
the show's utter lack of interest in women who don't fit the feisty "Strong Female Character" mold.
Not true! They made Sansa token dumb blonde . She's been rid of all character development! Hopefully they do her Eyrie plot right.

So, I'm re-reading A Dance With Dragons for the first time since launch week. I've powered through A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and A Feast For Crows over the past month and a half or so, I lent A Game of Thrones to a friend around 2 years ago and didn't get it back so will probably end up finishing my marathon with it.

A Feast For Crows benefits HUGELY from a re-read. I was frustrated at the time because of the lack of plot progression, especially in early Brienne chapters. Now that I knew what I was in for going in, I really, really loved almost the whole book.The moody, melancholic atmosphere was beautiful. Jaime's confrontation with the Blackfish was a classic ASOIAF moment, as was Doran's final line.

I'm finding A Dance With Dragons to be problematic. I'm REALLY enjoying the Theon, Bran and Davos chapters. Theon's chapters in particular are incredible, and up there with the best of GRRM's writing.

Tyrion's chapters are kinda a chore though. On first read through I didn't mind the Tyrion chapters as much because I assumed it was leading us to a meeting between him and Dany. Since I know this plot just kinda.. fizzles out it's frustrating a lot of the time and slows down the book. The chapters are well written (Though I'm so fucking tired of "Wherever whores go...") and I like the idea of having this long journey to calm Tyrion down after all the rage he'd built up but I don't think it quite worked. There's too many of these chapters and they kill the pacing of the book so far, though I'm only nearing the end of Part 1 (I'm a Brit!).
Old July 7 2013, 12:56 PM   #1693
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I really love the atmosphere of Feast too. It has obvious structural flaws thanks to the various reconfigurations of the overall story, but as you say there's something mournful and eerie about it, as a moment of potential rebuilding declines into further conflict and magic slowly creeps back into the world. Even Maggy's prophecy, which I know a lot of people don't care for, works for me in that respect.

The Tyrion chapters in Dance are a problem. There's something to be said for the psychological progression there, but I think Martin got too drawn into the Essos world-building involved, and let it expand an already languorous arc.
Old July 7 2013, 01:02 PM   #1694
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

There are just way too many. Bran has like.. 3 chapters the whole book and Sansa got cut completely. Those are 2 of my fave 5 POV characters in the series, along with Jaime, Arya and Theon. Tyrion isn't a favourite of mine (Though I still like him a lot!), and spending so much time with him is irritating. I don't hate the Dany chapters nearly as much as fandom does, but I'd agree they were too numerous.

The 2 least interesting plots dominate the book. I find myself praying the next chapter is a Reek one whenever I'm on a Tyrion chapter now. The best antidote.
Old July 7 2013, 01:15 PM   #1695
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

It's weird. For all the complaints about the pace of the last two books, some characters have fairly tight storylines. More happens, in terms of character development and plot progression, in five chapters of Arya and three chapters each of Bran and Sansa, than in twelve of Tyrion, thirteen of Jon, ten of Daenerys. Sometimes you can see the justification for the bloat. The Jon and Dany chapters (and Cersei in Feast), even though there still may be too many, are about emphasizing how complicated medieval leadership is, the many factors a monarch or a Lord Commander has to deal with. It needs to be big, so you can see why it might become too big. And the Brienne chapters, which I know a lot of people despise, are about continuing to show how war (and now peace) have affected the common people, and about Brienne's ongoing education in the cruelty of her world. (That will make no sense on TV, of course, since TV Brienne is already hard-edged, another stock Strong Female Character rather than Sansa with a sword.) But Tyrion... even allowing that he needs to be kicked around a bit more to build up the viciousness he's going to display when he gets back to Westeros, that doesn't take twelve chapters.