Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Is Hollywood tv and movies facing its end?
Hollywood will always own the tv and film industry 5 41.67%
Competition is good and will force positive changes 8 66.67%
It will struggle but survive 2 16.67%
Demographics, L.A film will fall to a tsunami of never-married foreigners 2 16.67%
Spielberg is right the movie industry is doomed 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 6 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Do brands like Dora, Dragonball and DoctorWho mark Hollywoods end?

Hollywood has become too expensive, way too expensive. Costly locations for tv, highly paid actors, unions etc.
There is also a huge undocumented problem in Los Angeles, foreign born workers are being exploited from the Koreas, Mexico and other places, they pay them very little. I believe if trends continue it will be for the worse. Hollywood isn't able to shoot fish in a barrel when score those big box office hits. The world market has become competitive.
Hollywood faces competition now.
Also I believe some of the big guns are out of touch with today's generation. The kids today are exposed to all kinds of brands on their phones, on their emails, downloads. Some foreign brands and films are very interesting, other brands are not so interesting, stuff like Pokemon is stupid but it sells and I also believe something of a multi cultural shift is happening across many parts of the world and maybe in the United States of America too with movies like The Legend of Zorro, The Intouchables, Hero or Pan's Labyrinth making money at the box office.
I believe we will see more foreign television series like Lost Girl.
Hollywood needs an answer. Making mindless cheap tv is not the answer, like some American Singfactor Idol bullsht or some stupid Survivor Island show.
Hollywood itself no longer has American people in it, they aren't baby boomers anymore, no families are making US babies. You go there on contract to work and its all Chinese and all Mexican. I'm all for diversity but sometimes things get to a stage where it gets ridiculous. Nobody owns property anymore, they are all renters, you need a translator to do business. I think Hollywood could make big money if they moved their productions like other shows have done, you make your series in Chicago , Jacksonville, or Boston or say do something similar with the tv series Dallas or tv series Trueblood. Not that I'm saying Trueblood and Dallas are the best shows on Earth. I wish Hollywood would see beyond L.A, NewYork and SoCal.....there's a whole other world out there and America is a diverse place and so many other states have a lot to offer.

Last edited by TheMasterOfOrion; July 7 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old July 6 2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Do brands like Dora, Dragonball and DoctorWho mark Hollywoods end?

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Hollywood has become too expensive, way too expensive. Costly locations for tv, highly paid actors, unions etc. Hollywood faces competition now. Also kids today are exposed to all kinds of brands on their phones, on their emails, stuff like Pokemon is stupid but it sells and I also believe something of a multi cultural shift is happening across many parts of the world and maybe in the United States of America too with movies like The Legend of Zorro, The Intouchables, Hero or Pan's Labyrinth making money at the box office.
Hollywood needs an answer. Making mindless cheap tv is not the answer, like some American Singfactor Idol bullsht or some stupid Survivor Island show.
Hollywood itself no longer has American people in it, they aren't baby boomers anymore, no families are making US babies. You go there on contract to work and its all Chinese and all Mexican. I'm all for diversity but sometimes things get to a stage where it gets ridiculous. Nobody owns property anymore, they are all renters, you need a translator to do business. I think Hollywood could make big money if they moved their productions like other shows have done, you make your series in Chicago , Jacksonville, or Boston or say do something similar with the tv series Dallas or tv series Trueblood. Not that I'm saying Trueblood and Dallas are the best shows on Earth. I wish Hollywood would see beyond L.A, NewYork and SoCal.....there's a whole other world out there and America is a diverse place and so many other states have a lot to offer.

so your main points are:

> hollywood is too expensive

> its biggest threats are email and pokemon

> despite being too expensive, it needs to stop making so much cheap stuff whilst also spending more on shooting in other cities.

> america is a diverse place, but there's too much diversity for your liking, despite the success of films from other countries.

or is it just too many chinese and mexicans for your liking? your 4th poll option "Demographics, L.A film will fall to a tsunami of never-married foreigners" seems pretty xenophobic too.

> hollywood needs an answer.

and also a coherent question

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 6 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Konata Izumi
Commander

American Singfactor Idol bullshit is too alluring for viewership to fall any time soon. To be honest, the Hollywood blockbuster marketing machine seems too perfected in its reliability on getting huge money out of subpar product, however inefficiently, to fall either.

But internet viewing does give access to movies from all around the world, so I'd imagine demand for other stuff is growing slowly and surely too as people find out, but not at the expense of Hollywood any time soon, because of reasons above.
Old July 6 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Hollywood itself no longer has American people in it, they aren't baby boomers anymore, no families are making US babies. You go there on contract to work and its all Chinese and all Mexican. I'm all for diversity but sometimes things get to a stage where it gets ridiculous.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old July 6 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Hollywood has become too expensive, way too expensive. Costly locations for tv, highly paid actors, unions etc.
Source?

Hollywood faces competition now. Also kids today are exposed to all kinds of brands on their phones, on their emails, stuff like Pokemon is stupid but it sells and I also believe something of a multi cultural shift is happening across many parts of the world and maybe in the United States of America too with movies like The Legend of Zorro, The Intouchables, Hero or Pan's Labyrinth making money at the box office.
Is this a bad thing? And I'm not quite sure what your argument is here. I think you're arguing that these movies were made by "non-Americans." And, to my knowledge, none of the movies you listed were major successes.

The Intouchables, which I had never heard of and in fact, first assumed it was a typo of The Untouchables only made $10 million in the U.S. Box office (Source: Box Office Mojo, compared to about $416 in the Worldwide market.

So, again, is this a bad thing? You mentioned Doctor Who in the thread title, and personally, if American TV learned from the British model of shorter seasons and more creator control, it might not be a bad thing.

Yes, but people do watch it. People also watch The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Scandal, etc. For what it's worth, The Walking Dead does film in Georgia.

Hollywood itself no longer has American people in it, they aren't baby boomers anymore, no families are making US babies. You go there on contract to work and its all Chinese and all Mexican. I'm all for diversity but sometimes things get to a stage where it gets ridiculous.
At what point does it go from "diversity" to "ridiculous"? You mentioned Pan's Labryinth earlier, which was made by Guillermo del Toro, who is behind Pacific Rim, which has generated a lot of buzz before it's premiere. It seems poised to be a major break-out movie this summer, is that a bad thing because the director is Mexican and many of its stars, including Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba are British?

Nobody owns property anymore, they are all renters, you need a translator to do business.
Did anyone really ever own property? I'm not sure about movies, but in the comic book world, creators such as Siegel and Shuster (and later, their families) have had to go through court battle after court battle for their share of Superman.

I think Hollywood could make big money if they moved their productions like other shows have done, you make your series in Chicago , Jacksonville, or Boston or say do something similar with the tv series Dallas or tv series Trueblood.
And this is based on, what? How will making shows in these cities benefit Hollywood. And what about the movies and TV shows that are filmed in these cities? Chicago Fire is filmed in Chicago. And, so were the Nolan (oh, no, a British director, the horror!) Batman movies.

From what I've seen, Dallas does a lot of filming in and around Dallas. How would a show about Dallas, Texas benefit from shooting in Boston, Chicago, or Jacksonville?

I see your point, a little with True Blood, as it seems to be filmed in Southern California. But, with the setting of the show being Louisiana, neither Boston nor Chicago would be a good place to shoot. Maybe Jacksonville, but what does Jacksonville offer that would make it a better place to shoot than Southern California?

Not that I'm saying Trueblood and Dallas are the best shows on Earth. I wish Hollywood would see beyond L.A, NewYork and SoCal.....there's a whole other world out there and America is a diverse place and so many other states have a lot to offer.
Okay, so there are all these locations. Are you sure these towns and cities want Hollywood productions filming there? Here in Florida, The Punisher filmed in Tampa. I'm not sure it benefited either the city or the film.

I'm having a hard time not summarizing your argument as:
  • Hollywood shouldn't look to other countries. It should look to 'Murica!
  • Foreign directors are ruining Hollywood
  • The American public should watch more 'Murican scripted shows and not reality TV (this might be the only point I fully agree with you on).
  • When filming American movies, with American directors, and American casts, Hollywood shouldn't film in LA or NY, they should film in Chicago, Boston, and/or Jacksonville
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old July 6 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Konata Izumi
Commander

I wonder if taxes are really low/ if they have changed over the years in wherever Hollywood is. It could be beneficial to move the physical location somewhere, but then I'm not sure if even now anything happens actually there?
Old July 6 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

junxon wrote: View Post

so your main points are:

Hollywood is too expensive
YES

junxon wrote: View Post
its biggest threats are email and pokemon
It's biggest threats are the elite in Hollywood are completely out of touch with the common people, they have no current material or fresh material and Hollywood isn't as big in Brazil or Korea and other places as it used it be. How many times do we have to see remake after remake after remake of some production that costs millions and millions, only to barely make spare change at the box office.

and there have been a crazy number of tv cancellations in the past 3 years

congrats for your idiotic sarcastic post and welcome to my block list

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
American Singfactor Idol bullshit is too alluring for viewership to fall any time soon.
Yeah too many zombie sheep in front of the tv, I guess some people have no artistic taste. They would mindlessly watch a 10 hour commercial featuring goldfish in a bowl and still pay their tv fees

1001001 wrote: View Post
pic
Don't give me that Bill n Ted nonsense,
the people who worked in the movie Industry were White-American, Italian-American, Jewish-American, African-American, Asian-American, Japanese-American, Latino-American...whatever the point is they worked in Hollywood and they were American or at least spoke English. You didn't need translators to get a project going

and I have no problems with foreign directors, diversity is what made America great. Sergio Leone, Ridley Scott, John Woo, Del Toro etc have all made brilliant American films
I have pointed out the demographics have changed in Hollywood, you no longer deal with quality American workers and agents, if you're on a contact it feels like your doing business in Mexico city or HongKong....to do an American film job you should not need to be multi-lingual, if people want to stay, work, live and make babies and be American....cool....give them papers but this dilution of quality will only make things worse for the industry

shivkala wrote: View Post
Source?
Everyone says it, even Spielberg says their days are numbered

Blockbusters are now way too expensive
most of the big hits are barely breaking even

the tv and movie industry is in for a big change
Old July 6 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Yeah too many zombie sheep in front of the tv, I guess some people have no artistic taste.
So I take it you are the arbiter of good taste? If only everyone was as sophisticated as you?

Why shouldn't Hollywood produce things people enjoy watching? American Idol isn't my thing, but I'm not going to pass judgement on people who do like it. Apparently, lots of people enjoy it and shows like it. Me? If I don't like what's on TV, I find something else to do. I'm 42 and have been finding other things to do for as long as I can remember, you might want to take off the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.
Old July 6 2013, 04:16 PM   #9
shivkala
Rear Admiral

From what I've seen, Spielberg and Lucas have been saying that Hollywood is spending more money on "mega-blockbusters," which is not the same thing as saying locations, actors, unions, etc. are becoming too expensive.

Spielberg said studios were increasingly putting money into “mega-budget” movies, causing a tectonic shift in the entertainment industry.
“You’re going to have to pay $25 to see the next ’Ironman.’ And you’re probably only going to have to pay $7 to see ’Lincoln,’” Spielberg said.
If anything, it seems that he's arguing it's special effects, rather than locations, actors, and unions that are causing these movies to be so expensive. It seems like he's saying the movies are expensive because Hollywood is willing to pay for a mega-blockbuster.

This seems to confirm that it's not the cost of making a movie, it's the cost of making the type of movie Hollywood thinks people will want to see.

You’re at the point right now where a studio would rather invest $250 million in one film for a real shot at the brass ring than make a whole bunch of really interesting, deeply personal — and even maybe historical — projects that may get lost in the shuffle because there’s only 24 hours [in the day].
The fact that he seems to believe that Hollywood could make "a whole bunch of really interesting, deeply personal — and even maybe historical — projects" instead of one $250 million movie seems to be contrary to your opinion that movies, themselves, are inherently more expensive.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old July 6 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

What the heck is wrong with Dora? Or Zorro?

That they're not white or "American" enough?

So what? It's 2013, not the 1950s anymore. Welcome to the 21st century.

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 6 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old July 6 2013, 04:41 PM   #11
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

My head hurts trying to figure out the point of this thread.
Old July 6 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Avon
Fleet Captain

congrats for your idiotic sarcastic post and welcome to my block list
1. isn't telling someone you block them a no-no?

2. if he's blocked me can i be rude about him? my post was clearly sarcastic but i take offence at idiotic.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 6 2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'm still trying to figure out what "never-married foreigners" have to do with anything?

Are never-married Americans okay? What about happily married foreigners?

As long as a movie is good, it could be made by polyamorous Martians for all I care.
Old July 6 2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I can't see the point of this thread through all the racism.
Old July 6 2013, 05:08 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
...it could be made by polyamorous Martians for all I care.
Don't give the porn industry any ideas.