Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 5 2013, 11:12 PM   #31
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: "The Trouble With Tribbles" is the most overrated episode of TOS..

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post
I know David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison have an agreement: Ellison wrote the "best" episode while Gerrold wrote the "most popular" episode.

"The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably the most popular episode with people who don't identify themselves as Star Trek fans. Since there are more of "them" than there are of "us", then by those standards it's the most popular TOS episode.

It's very accessible by the casual viewer, you don't need to know much about "Star Trek" to enjoy it. It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still enjoyable to me.
I think this covers it pretty well. An additional comment; I find William Campbell woefully inadequate as a Klingon. I like William Campbell a lot, and he was perfect as Trelane, (as another poster has already pointed out above), but his performance detracted from this story.
That's hardly his fault, is it? Campbell was more than capable of playing threatening or intimidating when called-for, but the part of Koloth wasn't written that way and his scenes weren't played that way. Campbell was a pro and did the job he was hired to do.
Old July 6 2013, 12:34 AM   #32
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Koloth doesn't look so bad next to Bob the Discount Klingon from "Friday's Child"....
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:09 AM   #33
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I call him The Mod Squad Klingon.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:51 AM   #34
Gov Kodos
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post
I know David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison have an agreement: Ellison wrote the "best" episode while Gerrold wrote the "most popular" episode.

"The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably the most popular episode with people who don't identify themselves as Star Trek fans. Since there are more of "them" than there are of "us", then by those standards it's the most popular TOS episode.

It's very accessible by the casual viewer, you don't need to know much about "Star Trek" to enjoy it. It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still enjoyable to me.
I think this covers it pretty well. An additional comment; I find William Campbell woefully inadequate as a Klingon. I like William Campbell a lot, and he was perfect as Trelane, (as another poster has already pointed out above), but his performance detracted from this story.
That's hardly his fault, is it? Campbell was more than capable of playing threatening or intimidating when called-for, but the part of Koloth wasn't written that way and his scenes weren't played that way. Campbell was a pro and did the job he was hired to do.
Cambell is fine, and smarmy. Cambell only seems odd in light of the Biker Barbarian Klingons of the movies and TNG onwards, but in TOS he doesn't seem that far off from Kor. In the episode, one might wonder if he is aiding Darvin, perhaps delivering the poison to be added to the grain. That seems like a job you'd send a smarmy diplomat on more than the less ingratiating Kor, or someone like Kang who seems more like he would just argue for sending in troops rather than play spies.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 05:15 AM   #35
EnsignHarper
Commander

One thing that IS indisputable, is that TTWT is Scotty/Jimmy Doohan's Finest Hour on TOS - he even gets to deliver the final punchline!

"Lad...don't you think you should.....rephrase that?"
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 03:13 AM   #36
Lance
Fleet Captain

Putting aside the fact that it's funny, a lot of reason why I like The Trouble With Tribbles comes down to it being so well plotted. David Gerrold crafted a really beautiful script where everything that happens in Reel 3 gets set-up in Reel 1, so there's a nice watertight feeling to it, there aren't any plot holes. Just about the only thing which feels almost like an ass-pull is Darvin being a Klingon, but even then it's neat because we already know the Klingons want to sabotage Sherman's Planet, so it makes sense that they'd have an operative on the space station.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:53 PM   #37
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Kinokima wrote: View Post
Metryq wrote: View Post
Fiction perhaps, but not science. Time travel stories—especially those invoking paradoxes—are fantasy. "Tribbles" on the other hand is highly "realistic." There have been uncounted instances where Mankind has had to deal with the explosive and unexpected results of tampering with the balance of an ecosystem.
I said science fiction not science. No where does it say science fiction has to be realistically scientific. If that was the case than Star Trek is most decidedly not a science fiction show.
Science Fiction is fiction based on science. True Science Fiction should be based on true science (or as it is understood at the time of writing). Laser beams, robots and spaceships do not make a story science fiction.

And no, Trek is not science fiction, it is fantasy.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:01 AM   #38
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Science Fiction is fiction based on science. True Science Fiction should be based on true science (or as it is understood at the time of writing). Laser beams, robots and spaceships do not make a story science fiction.

And no, Trek is not science fiction, it is fantasy.

I really hate this argument , I don't agree with you but I will just use the broader term speculative fiction.

editing: my initial argument because it's pointless

Last edited by Kinokima; July 8 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:09 AM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
... and maybe the most overrated of any Trek episode.
I agree, to the extent that it's often rated as one of the two or three best (and sometimes the very best). I'd put it in the top twenty.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 01:42 AM   #40
trevanian
Rear Admiral

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
One thing that IS indisputable, is that TTWT is Scotty/Jimmy Doohan's Finest Hour on TOS - he even gets to deliver the final punchline!

He's awfully funny in the aftermath scene with Kirk too, but I prefer the Scotty of 1st season's ARMAGEDDON (his squaring off w/ Ambassador Fox) and his scene with McCoy in the hall outside the briefing room in TURNABOUT INTRUDER. There's a genuine character in there with his own sense of right and wrong, way beyond just an accent, that is unfortunately all too rarely tapped.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:19 AM   #41
EnsignHarper
Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
Putting aside the fact that it's funny, a lot of reason why I like The Trouble With Tribbles comes down to it being so well plotted. David Gerrold crafted a really beautiful script where everything that happens in Reel 3 gets set-up in Reel 1, so there's a nice watertight feeling to it, there aren't any plot holes. Just about the only thing which feels almost like an ass-pull is Darvin being a Klingon, but even then it's neat because we already know the Klingons want to sabotage Sherman's Planet, so it makes sense that they'd have an operative on the space station.
What really makes it sneaky great, is how things literally start piling on Kirk in this episode - First the grain with the attached bureaucrat, then the Klingons, the bar fight, Cyrano Jones, and the slow and steady tribble explosion. It seems to be spiraling out of control until, at the end of Act III, Kirk (in the finest tradition of Laurel and Hardy) opens the UPPER hatch door, and he gets buried in tribbles.

Also, outside of the bar fight, and Kirk getting a Tribble shower, almost all of the 'comedy' is character driven - almost everybody gets their shots in -even Spock! "He simply could not believe his ears!"

And Shatner is at his comic best here - all the little touches, nothing hammy at all - Jones, after questioning, leaves saying 'I have a ship to tend to - au revoir', Kirk does the same after having it out with Baris again - even using the same gesture - not in the script! And the range of his reactions during his little talk with Scott is perfect. That little scene is still one of my top 4 or 5 Trek scenes of all time.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:37 AM   #42
Push The Button
Captain

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post

Scotty has always been my favorite TOS character, and he really steals the show in this episode.

"They called the Enterprise a garbage scow! ... it was a matter of pride!"
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:04 AM   #43
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

My favorite dramatic Scotty moment is when he threatens to destroy the ship rather than surrender to the Romulans in "The Enterprise Incident". Kirk is acting like a madman, but one gets the sense that his beaming with pride is genuine....He could count on Scotty to play his part, even though Scotty wasn't in on the mission.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:20 PM   #44
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I liked almost all the humour.
I like it better and better every time I see it.
Shatner is great charging around everywhere with Kirk in a bad mood. Having Spock following him around as the ultimate straight man.

And Tribbles - who wouldn't want one. Not two - just one.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:35 PM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

Doomsday wrote: View Post
...I've seen this before. Many times I've sat in a room with a group, watching a "comedy" movie, and everyone is rolling on the floor laughing, and I'm just sitting there wondering what they think is so funny. And go through the whole film and not even grin once.
This is exactly how I feel about Big Bang Theory.