Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 2 2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: How long before TNG were the Wrath Of Khan uniforms phased out?

I want to see the faces of Picard and others, the day they show up for duty and have a memo from Starfleet quartermaster in their Mailbox.

"Oh, finally new uniforms, I started to feel like my grandpa in those old threads. Computer, replicate new uniform pattern 2354 Alpha! They took 80years to come up with a new design, I bet they are awesome!"

Replicator materializes new spandex uniform.

"WTF?!"
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

It's possible that the WoK type uniforms were phased out and then brought back again a few decades later due to popular demand or whatever. We've just never seen any of the ones inbetween.

It's also possible that the WoK style uniforms were only kept in use for certain ships or situations, with different uniforms (or variations) used for starbases, outposts, long missions, etc. (as per DS9's jumpsuit style), which we also never saw.

On the other hand, maybe everybody really did just stick with the same uniform for 70 years. *Shrug.*

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I want to see the faces of Picard and others, the day they show up for duty and have a memo from Starfleet quartermaster in their Mailbox.

"Oh, finally new uniforms, I started to feel like my grandpa in those old threads. Computer, replicate new uniform pattern 2354 Alpha! They took 80years to come up with a new design, I bet they are awesome!"

Replicator materializes new spandex uniform.

"WTF?!"
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:05 PM   #18
I am not Spock
Commodore

Maybe the early TNG 2360s jumpsuits were that time's equivalent of the DS9/VOY jumpsuits with the coloured shoulderpads. A less formal uniform variant, as opposed to the formality of the TWOK uniforms. They may have served alongside the TWOK uniforms for a while. And eventually the Wrath of Khan ones were phased out.

In Generations, we saw a bit of a mix and match of uniforms. The TNG season 3-7 ones, and the DS9/VOY jumpsuits. Some characters switched from the TNG style ones to the DS9 ones mid movie, notably Data, Picard, and Riker.

It's possible that a similar mix and match was going on aboard the Stargazer. With TWOK uniforms appearing alongside the S1-2 spandex jumpsuits.
Old July 2 2013, 01:04 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It could be looked at (in hindsight) that Starfleet underwent a series of interim uniforms from 2366 to 2373 until finally settling on the First Contact uniforms.
So are you implying that the FC uniform will be around for the next 70 years like the TWOK uniform was?
Nope. Only that they could be around for more than just a few years (which is what I said in the rest of my post).
Because I'd bet good money that if they made another TNG movie right now that took place after Nemesis, the cast wouldn't be wearing those uniforms.
I'll take that bet. I definitely think they would continue to use those First Contact uniforms, although we'd probably start to see more variants of them by now.
I wouldn't count those except as uniforms from a potential future (or alternate timeline). For all we know, the First Contact uniforms may actually be around for several decades or a totally different uniform design may be in service by then.
I only added them for completeness's sake, and that we saw them at least three times. I personally hate those uniforms, and if they never actually existed in the "real" prime future, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep
I think those uniforms are as likely to really occurring as the three-nacelle Enterprise-D.
Sran wrote:
C.E. Evans wrote:
I wouldn't count those except as uniforms from a potential future (or alternate timeline). For all we know, the First Contact uniforms may actually be around for several decades or a totally different uniform design may be in service by then.
I agree. Every potential future we see has those uniforms in it, but that's probably only a plot-device to avoid confusing the audience. There's been no mention of the uniforms in any of the novels, so it's safe to assume that the FC uniforms are still in use and will be for some time.
Yep. Glimpses into Trek's distant future aren't set in stone, IMO. It's always subject to being changed (more by creative decisions from producers and writers than anything in-universe, but even that has to taken into consideration).
Old July 4 2013, 06:02 AM   #20
Dukhat
Commodore

I'll take that bet. I definitely think they would continue to use those First Contact uniforms, although we'd probably start to see more variants of them by now.
Then you'd probably lose your money. Nemesis was 11 years ago. All the costumes have long since been sold off. If there were a new TNG movie, brand-new uniforms would have to be made for it, and there's no reason whatsoever why they would replicate a uniform from over a decade before, or even a variant of them. It's much more likely that they'd make uniforms based on Star Trek Online than anything else.
Old July 4 2013, 06:23 AM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
It's possible that a similar mix and match was going on aboard the Stargazer. With TWOK uniforms appearing alongside the S1-2 spandex jumpsuits.
I'll bet the officers in the real naval-looking uniforms had a good chuckle at the expense of their poor pajamas-wearing comrades.
Old July 4 2013, 08:40 PM   #22
Timo
Admiral

No doubt. But all uniforms are farcical anyway from any point of view distanced by a bit of time or territory. Just think of what was being worn in the 18th century - the whole lot look like peacocks to us now, but there were strong feelings back then about which peacock style was manly and which was embarrassing. Or go back a hundred years, and see the US Army dress like boy scouts while the French in their red pants epitomize the silly tin soldier.

One wonders how much the Starfleet dress code is influenced by the diversity of the UFP. Humans are the dominant wearers of all the fashions we witness on screen, but perhaps offscreen Andorian or Bolian usage dictates some of the choices?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Imagine being down to a planet with WoK-attired crewmembers while wearing your TNG skant.
Old July 5 2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

If it's even a moderately hot planet, I'll be ROTSandL at the idiots.

Anyway, I'd imagine something like the skant would be "traditional" space wear, as the first spacecraft would realistically have major heat dissipation problems and be very hot working environments. Anybody wearing clothing looking like it's intended to keep the cold spray of the Atlantic from freezing him would look really silly and out of place in the space scene; it would be like reporting to infantry duty in a wet suit.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 12:35 AM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Then you'd probably lose your money. Nemesis was 11 years ago. All the costumes have long since been sold off.
Because Nemesis was the last TNG movie and no more were going to be made. Had they continued to make TNG movies in 2004, the odds are good enough to put money on that they would have continued to use the uniforms they had, but ultimately with more variants as I said earlier.
Old July 6 2013, 03:51 AM   #26
Dukhat
Commodore

Then you'd probably lose your money. Nemesis was 11 years ago. All the costumes have long since been sold off.
Because Nemesis was the last TNG movie and no more were going to be made. Had they continued to make TNG movies in 2004, the odds are good enough to put money on that they would have continued to use the uniforms they had, but ultimately with more variants as I said earlier.
Yes, I agree with you there. But that wasn't actually my point. I was stating that if a new TNG movie were to be made now, they would not be using the FC uniforms, even if the internal timeline had the new film take place not long after Nemesis.
Old July 6 2013, 07:26 AM   #27
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Yes, I agree with you there. But that wasn't actually my point.
It certainly was mine. I'm coming from the position of Star Treks XI and XII as TNG movies.
I was stating that if a new TNG movie were to be made now, they would not be using the FC uniforms, even if the internal timeline had the new film take place not long after Nemesis.
I think if a new TNG movie were to be made now, it would definitely be the last one ever. Can't see them expanding the budget just to introduce brand-new uniforms for everyone that would be used only once unless the plan was for a new 24th-Century crew to carry them into the next (post-TNG) movie.
Old July 6 2013, 09:02 AM   #28
Dukhat
Commodore

It certainly was mine. I'm coming from the position of Star Treks XI and XII as TNG movies.
And if we would have seen the 24th century prime universe in Treks XI and XII, it's doubtful that anyone would be wearing the FC uniforms then either.

I think if a new TNG movie were to be made now, it would definitely be the last one ever. Can't see them expanding the budget just to introduce brand-new uniforms for everyone that would be used only once unless the plan was for a new 24th-Century crew to carry them into the next (post-TNG) movie.
I didn't say that I thought they'd make another TNG movie now. All I said was that if they did, the cast wouldn't be wearing the FC uniforms.

And I think I'm about done talking about the FC uniforms.
Old July 6 2013, 09:28 AM   #29
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

And if we would have seen the 24th century prime universe in Treks XI and XII, it's doubtful that anyone would be wearing the FC uniforms then either.
I totally disagree with that. There simply would be no reason to have new uniforms as TNG was winding down as a movie franchise.

I didn't say that I thought they'd make another TNG movie now. All I said was that if they did, the cast wouldn't be wearing the FC uniforms.
That's saying the same thing.
Old July 6 2013, 03:57 PM   #30
Dukhat
Commodore

1. And I disagree with what you disagree about. They made brand-new uniforms for the Kelvin's crew and the nuEnterprise crew, not to mention brand new cadet uniforms, K. Maru training uniforms, etc. if the TNG prime universe had been shown (Spock Prime came from seven or so years after Nemesis), they would have made brand-new Starfleet uniforms too.

2. No, it's not saying the same thing.

3. This discussion seems to have devolved into a pissing match, so I'm going to gracefully bow out.