Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 18 2013, 01:20 AM   #16
Worf2DS9
Writer

Re: The Killing (Seasons 1-3)

I've been enjoying season 3 so far and like that the tone has remained as dreary and damp as ever. But man, Holder's new partner has to be one of the jerkiest "veteran cop" characters I've seen on TV in years. Gregg Henry plays him great, but damn, what an ass!
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 05:37 AM   #17
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Gregg Henry plays a great ass in pretty much all his roles.
Old June 18 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Top41

Gregg Henry is awesome on Scandal! But yeah, he's playing a jerk. Is he mean to Holder or just mean in general?

I'm up through season two ep. three. Linden and Holder were just reunited. I'm confused as to whether he actually used drugs or just lifted them from his former dealer and held onto them. It seemed like he was pretty out of it when he was having sex with that undercover officer he used to work with.
Old June 18 2013, 09:26 PM   #19
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Top41 wrote: View Post
Gregg Henry is awesome on Scandal! But yeah, he's playing a jerk. Is he mean to Holder or just mean in general?
He's not really mean to Holder, he is just a huge ass (best decription).

Yeah, season 3 picks right up where 2 left off in terms of tone. And that is great for this show.

I'm up through season two ep. three. Linden and Holder were just reunited. I'm confused as to whether he actually used drugs or just lifted them from his former dealer and held onto them. It seemed like he was pretty out of it when he was having sex with that undercover officer he used to work with.
I'm pretty sure Holder used, but I'm going by memory. He really hits rock bottom in season 2.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Top41

gblews wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure Holder used, but I'm going by memory. He really hits rock bottom in season 2.
Yeah, it really seemed like Holder had used, but they didn't really deal with it beyond that one episode, and he seems more okay than most people do after falling off the wagon after being sober for a while (at least on TV).

I've watched a few more episodes--still enjoying it, but it does feel like the story is being stretched. I don't know why the councilman is still in the show, or why we have to sit through scenes of him rolling his chair onto an elevator or losing control of his bladder. Now that he's been cleared, I'm not sure why he's still on the show.

Still enjoying it... I just watched episode 5 of season two. Hoping to finish it and start season three soon.

Is season three still enjoyable (for those that are watching)?
Old July 2 2013, 08:30 PM   #21
gblews
Rear Admiral

Top41 wrote: View Post
I've watched a few more episodes--still enjoying it, but it does feel like the story is being stretched. I don't know why the councilman is still in the show, or why we have to sit through scenes of him rolling his chair onto an elevator or losing control of his bladder. Now that he's been cleared, I'm not sure why he's still on the show.
The councilman's story was without question the weakest in season 1. I would say more negative stuff about it but it might be spoilery.
Still enjoying it... I just watched episode 5 of season two.
Stick with it, the ending is kick-ass.
Is season three still enjoyable (for those that are watching)?
Yes, especially since Holder and Linden are getting more screen time together. This season is structured a bit differently, but they are working their way to the heart of Linden's problems, I think.
Old July 4 2013, 07:42 AM   #22
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I just finished season 2 on netflix.

JESUS H CHRIST my jaw is still on the floor as to the identify of Rosie's killer. Christ, how dark you can get? I thought i'd have a heart attack. Gruesome. Selfish and gruesome.

Yeah, Linden and Holder are the best thing. Now there's a male/female platonic pairing I can get behind. Chemistry off the charts. Real depth of feeling from two individuals damaged beyond belief. I love great character work. The Killing is a good show. What the hell is all the bitching about?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 03:52 AM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
The Killing is a good show. What the hell is all the bitching about?
Shitty writing and poor planning?

Everyone loved the characters, or the most part, but it was just bad pacing, writing, planning. Thankfully the tighter season three, ten episodes and solve the mystery, seems to fix a lot of the problems.
Old July 5 2013, 06:10 AM   #24
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Writing and pacing seem fine when you watch it in a marathon viewing.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old July 5 2013, 04:30 PM   #25
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

1. I doubt that.
2. It's a TV show, not a movie.
3. This isn't Netflix.
Old July 5 2013, 07:03 PM   #26
Top41

gblews wrote: View Post
Yes, especially since Holder and Linden are getting more screen time together. This season is structured a bit differently, but they are working their way to the heart of Linden's problems, I think.
Oh cool--I love Linden. I think she's such an interesting and complex character. I like Holder, too--I want to get to the bottom of all of his issues as well. I can't wait to start the new season. I'm almost done with season two!

Agreed. I think the councilman storyline is a little weak, but it doesn't frustrate me that much. Otherwise, I'm totally into the show. I watched four episodes of season two last night--I was only going to watch two but I couldn't stop!

I only have three eps left to go and then I get to start season three.
Old July 5 2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

The end of season 2 will throw you for a loop. I agree, Linden is fascinating. She's got the complexity that male characters usually get in scripts. I love the actress. She's fantastic. So is Joel Kinnamon as Holder for that matter. Both very compelling.

1. I doubt that.
2. It's a TV show, not a movie.
3. This isn't Netflix.
Yes, bigdaddy, I know it's a television show. That's why I watched 12 episodes in a row--on Netflix.

Old July 5 2013, 11:43 PM   #28
gblews
Rear Admiral

The Killing is a good show. What the hell is all the bitching about?
The folks doing all the bitching and moaning were all bent out of shape because they thought, for reasons unknown, that they had been promised they'd find out who the killer was by the season 1 finale.

That didn't happen and just like my mom, who hated 2-part episodes of Barnaby Jones or Mannix back in the 70's, they got angry at the show.

Funny really, when you consider that this is the era of serialized T.V. show.
Old July 6 2013, 02:23 AM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The writing of the show was horrible, we thought we would end the goose chase through the horrible side stories, when that didn't happen a lot of the audience left, I gave season 2 a chance but with more horribly written subplots I just didn't care.

It has nothing to do with hating two parters or continuing story lines.
Old July 6 2013, 03:42 AM   #30
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Watching season 3 on amazon to get caught up since my sweetie pie is stuck working. I'm already hooked. I'm going to go into withdrawal when I catch up with the live schedule and have to wait like everyone else.