New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 5 2013, 11:49 PM   #46
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Dare I Continue?

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
I am indeed continuing with the show. Thinking back to TNG, the first season of that show was far worse than the first season of ENT has been so far. If that show was able to radically change gears, then ENT is more than capable of doing the same. Whether it actually does.......well, I'll judge that for myself, but based on what you all are saying I trust that it will.
If I were you, I'd ignore that whole "It takes two years for a Star Trek show to get better" nonsense. It's NEVER been true, and as you will find out when you get there with ENTERPRISE, It's REALLY not true in this case.
Do you not agree that TNG and DS9 improved after their initial seasons? Or even VOY? (which I think marginally improved with each season, until the last two seasons when I think it really blossomed)
Well, there's always room for improvement. That goes for anything. I was just saying that I don't buy into the belief that TNG and DS9 were bad in their first two years. In both cases, they had some really good individual episodes and ideas. Plus, for me, listening to the Ron Jones Project CD collection re-enforced a belief that I'd had for years: that TNG's music was at it's best in the first two seasons, before the "sonic wallpaper" edict was put in place. And, in the case of DS9, without the Defiant, they spent most of their time on the station. Sometimes whole episodes. Since I tend to like "bottle" shows more than planet shows, this helped me to warm up to DS9 alot faster than I did to the other series.

I guess you could say that I'm somebody who doesn't follow popular opinion.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:59 PM   #47
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it might be fair to say that S1-2 of TNG was weaker than the later seasons, the same with DSN, but DSN's S1-2 were stronger than TNG's S1-2.

As for VOY, sure it had some of it's best epsiodes in later seasons. But i grew a little tired of what was becomming the Dctor, Janeway, Seven show. But saying that one of the best things about VOY was Robert Picardo as the EMH.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:32 PM   #48
REDrake
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to REDrake

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But saying that one of the best things about VOY was Robert Picardo as the EMH.
I quite agree. I only watched random episodes past the first season of Voy, but EMH was the only thing to watch for. Message in a Bottle is the best Voy episode I watched.

For some reason in almost all trek shows, doctors make likeable characters (except for TNG, where both doctors kind of sucked).
REDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 02:59 PM   #49
RandyS
Vice Admiral

REDrake wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
But saying that one of the best things about VOY was Robert Picardo as the EMH.
I quite agree. I only watched random episodes past the first season of Voy, but EMH was the only thing to watch for. Message in a Bottle is the best Voy episode I watched.

For some reason in almost all trek shows, doctors make likeable characters (except for TNG, where both doctors kind of sucked).
On Pulaski, I agree completely. She was nothing but a bad Bones rip-off. But I liked crusher.
Old July 8 2013, 03:17 AM   #50
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I am indeed continuing with the show. Thinking back to TNG, the first season of that show was far worse than the first season of ENT has been so far. If that show was able to radically change gears, then ENT is more than capable of doing the same. Whether it actually does.......well, I'll judge that for myself, but based on what you all are saying I trust that it will.
If I were you, I'd ignore that whole "It takes two years for a Star Trek show to get better" nonsense. It's NEVER been true, and as you will find out when you get there with ENTERPRISE, It's REALLY not true in this case.
Do you not agree that TNG and DS9 improved after their initial seasons? Or even VOY? (which I think marginally improved with each season, until the last two seasons when I think it really blossomed)
That's a known fact about most TV shows in general, not just Star Trek. Shows almost always get better once the characters and plot are developed. That's usually a given.

I think most shows start out with that intention of defining itself and its characters. Once the bumpy first season is done, you can start really having some fun.

The opposite happens once a show is just on for too long. Oftentimes, the worst seasons are a show's first and last seasons. Not true for all shows. Just seems to be for most, from what I've learned.

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; July 9 2013 at 03:16 AM.
Captain Kathryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 03:42 AM   #51
Third Nacelle
Captain

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
That's a known fact about most TV shows in general, not just Star Trek. Shows are almost always better once the characters and plot are developed. That's usually a given.

I think most shows start out with that intention of defining itself and its characters. Once the bumpy first season is done, you can start really having some fun.

The opposite happens once a show is just on for too long. Oftentimes, the worst seasons are a show's first and last seasons. Not true for all shows. Just seems to be for most, from what I've learned.
This is a pretty old comic, but I think it's relevant here. And true for most shows I can think of:

Enteprise is least favorite Trek, but I'm sure if it had been allowed to continue it would have gotten better.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:10 AM   #52
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

I am indeed continuing with the show. Thinking back to TNG, the first season of that show was far worse than the first season of ENT has been so far. If that show was able to radically change gears, then ENT is more than capable of doing the same. Whether it actually does.......well, I'll judge that for myself, but based on what you all are saying I trust that it will. Stay tuned for my reviews of future episodes.

Also, read somewhere that showrunners and fans are trying to revive ENT for a fifth season. Think this stands a chance of happening?
season 2 is all over the place. to soo soo to some really good to great episodes. an odd mid part while closing out strong.
Old July 8 2013, 07:08 AM   #53
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

I forgot to mention it at the start of this thread, but PLEASE, NO SPOILERS. Sorry for the late warning, but thanks for being considerate and not posting any spoilers.
I added a note to the thread title, hopefully that will help. Enjoy the show!
Old July 8 2013, 08:29 PM   #54
RandyS
Vice Admiral

That's a known fact about most TV shows in general, not just Star Trek. Shows are almost always better once the characters and plot are developed. That's usually a given.
I know this is off topic, and if you want to PM me to continue the discussion, feel free, but I can think of two examples where the first season is better than the third, and those are Sliders and SeaQuest, so I would disagree that it's a hard and fast rule.
Old July 9 2013, 03:15 AM   #55
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I know this is off topic, and if you want to PM me to continue the discussion, feel free, but I can think of two examples where the first season is better than the third, and those are Sliders and SeaQuest, so I would disagree that it's a hard and fast rule.
It's definitely not a rule.

Just...seems to occur often.

I'm sure there are a ton of exceptions.
Old July 9 2013, 04:31 AM   #56
AdmiralScreed
Captain

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
I forgot to mention it at the start of this thread, but PLEASE, NO SPOILERS. Sorry for the late warning, but thanks for being considerate and not posting any spoilers.
I added a note to the thread title, hopefully that will help. Enjoy the show!
Thank you!!! Much appreciated.

I've been busy the last several days, but hope to watch some more ENT very soon. Will keep you all updated with how I'm feeling about the show.
Old July 9 2013, 04:53 AM   #57
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Dare I Continue? (please avoid spoilers)

I also faded out during the second season but came back for the series finale that didn't inspire me want to watch the rest but it would be disappointing if the episodes I missed were the ones worth watching. I'm in the catching up with TOS phase, which I'm enjoying, but after that I'll give Enterprise another shot.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 12:17 PM   #58
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Everyone should watch everything!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 04:11 PM   #59
RandyS
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Everyone should watch everything!
Just Star Trek, or every episode of every show ever made?

I imagine THAT would take awhile....
Old July 10 2013, 10:04 AM   #60
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I meant just Star Trek, but upon reflection I mean all science fiction shows. That way they can talk to me and I will be interested in what comes out of their mouths.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote