Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 5 2013, 09:18 AM   #2596
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

In a business sense, it is the superior product, in that it makes a great deal more money.

In an artistic sense, in my opinion, Trek is the more meritorious product. Although Star Trek can't claim innocence from being compromised for the mainstream, at certain points during its near-50 year history.

Trek would appear to have a glass ceiling. No matter what they change, try to tell people this isn't their father's Trek; it doesn't seem like it can get over 500 mil. Maybe next time, it will happen.
Old July 5 2013, 09:33 AM   #2597
serenitytrek1
Commander

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Just popping in to say that I saw Into Darkness for the 4th time last week, this time in the United States with Yeoman Randi!
How is she? I haven't heard from her in over a year.

I have only seen Star Trek Into Darkness once. Mom's health is shaky... in and out of hospital. Home health is here from 10am-5pm weekdays, so it is difficult to get out for a movie. Blu-rays & DVDs comprise most of my movie experience. I am amazed that someone sees any movie as often as I see here. More power to you!

Sorry about your mum. I hope she is feeling better now.

it is quite clear that STiD underperformed at the USA box office. I do think the fan service and excessive homages turned a lot of people off.

If trek wants to be very successful again they need to go back to the formula they used in ST09.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:50 AM   #2598
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
In an artistic sense, in my opinion, Trek is the more meritorious product.
I'm not sure there is actually a way to objectively determine that, but even so I don't think I would agree that one is really superior to the other that way. Plus, for the longest time, Trek had 8 movies and 3-4 series under its belt, while Wars had 3 movies and a few idiotic spin-offs.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 02:59 PM   #2599
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
I'm not sure there is actually a way to objectively determine that, but even so I don't think I would agree that one is really superior to the other that way. Plus, for the longest time, Trek had 8 movies and 3-4 series under its belt, while Wars had 3 movies and a few idiotic spin-offs.
Well, it could be said that Lucas understood the power of leaving your audience wanting more.
Old July 5 2013, 05:24 PM   #2600
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
it is quite clear that STiD underperformed at the USA box office. I do think the fan service and excessive homages turned a lot of people off.

If trek wants to be very successful again they need to go back to the formula they used in ST09.
The definition of "underperforming" today is absolutely ridiculous. As Bryan Singer said following the "disappointing" receipts for Superman Returns, "That movie made $400 million! I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days..."

For the record, though, STID, which hasn't completed it's run yet, stands at $221.2 million domestic and $438.8 million total. That's pretty damn impressive. ST09, following its completed run, had $257.7 million domestic and $385.6 million total. IOW, the current movie has already beaten the overall worldwide total of ST09 by more than $50 million. And given the fact that there was such a long period without any Trek before ST09 and the anticipation was so high, I think the difference in the domestic totals for a sequel is quite reasonable, and the domestic box office still very successful.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:28 PM   #2601
serenitytrek1
Commander

CoveTom wrote: View Post

The definition of "underperforming" today is absolutely ridiculous. As Bryan Singer said following the "disappointing" receipts for Superman Returns, "That movie made $400 million! I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days..."

For the record, though, STID, which hasn't completed it's run yet, stands at $221.2 million domestic and $438.8 million total. That's pretty damn impressive. ST09, following its completed run, had $257.7 million domestic and $385.6 million total. IOW, the current movie has already beaten the overall worldwide total of ST09 by more than $50 million. And given the fact that there was such a long period without any Trek before ST09 and the anticipation was so high, I think the difference in the domestic totals for a sequel is quite reasonable, and the domestic box office still very successful.

However once you take away the 3d prices of STiD and adjust trek 09 by inflation. STiD is far behind ST09. The reality is that STiD might not even have broken the 200 million dollar barrier in USA if not for 3D. ST09 didn't even need 3D.

I am not saying STiD was a flop, however it was not what paramount expected. paramount wanted STiD to surpass ST09 and it didn't. obviously there is a slight disappointment in that.

Worldwide there has been a huge improvement, however Trek still has a long way to go when it comes to been a box office juggernaut. I have no doubt that the fan service in STiD hurt trek.

its like the writers totally forgot about the new fans that resulted from the 2009 film. the writers only seems to care about old trekkies. The same old trekkies that have now called STiD inferior to WOK.
Old July 5 2013, 07:50 PM   #2602
Opus
Commodore

One thing to remember - STiD isn't done yet.

Another - It's gained huge numbers overseas vs. any other Trek film.

Next - It's the highest grossing Trek film. Ever.

And Again - ST ain't SW. Never going to be.

All that said - Sorry to disappoint some here, and I know they've all hoped and wished and dreamed and gnashed teeth and commiserated over it, but STiD is a win.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:51 PM   #2603
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

But....but.....domestic box office....inflation adjustments.....Paramount....or something.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:56 PM   #2604
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I also challenge the idea that Star Trek is more "artistic" than Star Wars. The content is always open for debate, and the prequels are, of course, always fair game. However, it's hard for one to argue that Star Wars (and probably ESB) isn't one of the most artistically influential films of all time without looking like a bumpkin.
Old July 5 2013, 10:14 PM   #2605
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I also challenge the idea that Star Trek is more "artistic" than Star Wars. The content is always open for debate, and the prequels are, of course, always fair game. However, it's hard for one to argue that Star Wars (and probably ESB) isn't one of the most artistically influential films of all time without looking like a bumpkin.
I'm a big-time Star Trek fan. But The Empire Strikes Back is just a fucking awesome movie.
Old July 5 2013, 10:15 PM   #2606
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

In English, this reads as "I like Trek more."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #2607
serenitytrek1
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm a big-time Star Trek fan. But The Empire Strikes Back is just a fucking awesome movie.

I loved loved loved Empire Sticks Back, however I kind of feel it is overrated a little bit. Especially with the whole I am your father thing.

That scene just proved that most male fans and even film critics never read a decent thriller or watched a good soap opera. if they did , it would not have come as a HUGE shock to them when Vader revealed himself to be Luke's dad.

Most series always have that kind of typical plot twist. I guess I am one of the few that wasn't shocked when Vader told Luke he was his daddy.

I was like....oh yeah..,cool but not surprised.

Perhaps, all my years of watching Mexican soap operas paid off.
Old July 5 2013, 11:00 PM   #2608
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

I loved loved loved Empire Sticks Back, however I kind of feel it is overrated a little bit. Especially with the whole I am your father thing.

That scene just proved that most male fans and even film critics never read a decent thriller or watched a good soap opera. if they did , it would not have come as a HUGE shock to them when Vader revealed himself to be Luke's dad.

Most series always have that kind of typical plot twist. I guess I am one of the few that wasn't shocked when Vader told Luke he was his daddy.

I was like....oh yeah..,cool but not surprised.

Perhaps, all my years of watching Mexican soap operas paid off.
It's not the "twist" itself, but its conceit that makes it one of the great moments in film.
Old July 5 2013, 11:03 PM   #2609
Roald
Commander

I loved loved loved Empire Sticks Back, however I kind of feel it is overrated
Stopped reading there.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:25 PM   #2610
Borgminister

Weird how there are no numbers for STID for W-Th...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote