Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 3 2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Sran
Commodore

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

The Boston Celtics have a new coach: Butler University's Brad Stevens. As a Butler alumnus (2005), I've had the privilege of watching Brad helm Butler's squad for the past six years, which included two trips to the Final Four and the NCAA National Championship Game.

Stevens is a great coach. I only wonder if his hiring means the end of Rajon Rondo in Boston, as I can't see the two of them getting along. Brad's a class act, but Rondo is extremely high-maintenance and likely won't be happy leading a rebuilding effort in Beantown.

--Sran
Old July 4 2013, 03:52 AM   #17
Danny99
Vice Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Knicks to Acquire Bargnani

The New York Knicks are close to finalizing a trade for power forward Andrea Bargnani, which would send Steve Novak and Marcus Camby to the Toronto Raptors, a league source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
You have to wonder what the future of Amar'e is if they do this deal.
I don't think Amar'e has anything to worry about.

Bargnani is at best a bench player and the Raptors made a huge mistake in drafting him first overall, especially when Rondo went in the same first round.

Hope he is as frustrating to Knicks fans as he has been to Raptors fans.
Old July 4 2013, 12:08 PM   #18
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Pistons' bid to land Raptors' Rudy Gay fizzles

The Pistons have been active in the trade discussions despite their dalliance into free agency, making a bid for Raptors forward Rudy Gay.

A team official acknowledged there had been discussions, but they didn’t go anywhere, as the proposed deal was first reported by ESPN.

The Pistons offered Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva for Gay, a high-scoring forward who makes $17.8 million next season, and the Raptors turned it down. They’ll also make a play for Boston’s Rajon Rondo if the Celtics make him available.

The Pistons have a long-held affection for Gay (18.2 points, 6.1 rebounds last season), who was traded from Memphis to Toronto in the deal that saw Tayshaun Prince leave Detroit for Memphis in January.

The Raptors have a new general manager, Masai Ujiri, who didn’t acquire the talented small forward but inherited him. The Raptors just traded former overall No. 1 pick Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks and could be tearing down the foundation to build themselves back up down the line.

Stuckey and Villanueva are in the last year of their contracts, which could give the Raptors relief, as their payroll was among the highest in the NBA last year, hovering near the luxury tax threshold, but they didn’t qualify for the playoffs.

The deal, in its current form, doesn’t seem to be gaining much traction, but if the Pistons can find a third team to facilitate it, perhaps it can be revisited.

It appears the Raptors don’t want to just part with a talent of Gay’s caliber by doing what amounts to a salary dump. With various teams being around or over the luxury tax threshold, bringing in a third team isn’t impossible — but the Pistons would really have to want Gay.

Stuckey and Villanueva, if they are dealt, could lessen the Pistons’ dependency on overpaying in the free agent class. They will both earn $8.5 million each this year, and it’s clear the Pistons are leveraging both in the attempt to acquire better players, offering future cap relief.

Counting the rookie-scale deals with Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight and Andre Drummond and the contracts of Jonas Jerebko and Kyle Singler, the Pistons have $17.2 million in salary committed for 2014-15, with a $58.5 million salary cap, when Monroe will be up for restricted free agency.

Gay has two years left on his contract, making $17.8 and $19.3 million, but if the trade were to happen, it would barely put a dent in the Pistons’ significant salary cap space this season.

It’s another avenue in their mission to acquire top-level talent this summer, particularly at the wing spots. They didn’t, though, make pitches to Mavericks guard O.J. Mayo or former Milwaukee Bucks guard Monta Ellis, who both found the market isn’t as plentiful as they originally thought.

Ellis opted out of an $11 million payday next season, and could get a little more than half of that this summer. Mayo had a disastrous second half of the season this past year and is reportedly finalizing a deal with the Bucks.

The Pistons met with Nuggets small forward Andre Iguodala on Monday, the first day of free agency, but didn’t offer a contract.

The Sacramento Kings offered Iguodala a four-year, $56 million contract late Tuesday evening, but Iguodala didn’t immediately accept, prompting the Kings to pull their offer, according to Yahoo! sports.

There’s widespread belief Iguodala wanted the Nuggets to match the Kings’ offer. It’s reported the Nuggets offered Iguodala a five-year deal, but it wasn’t as lucrative as the Kings’ offer.

The Pistons don’t appear willing to get into a bidding war over the 29-year old forward, but if the price comes down and Iguodala refuses to return to Denver, perhaps they could re-enter the process and offer him a reasonable contract.

It seems as if Iguodala is in the same boat as Ellis is and Mayo was, albeit to a lesser extent, if he had to get an oversized offer from Sacramento.

Waiting out the market, and going the trade route seems to be the road the Pistons are taking.
I thought this was an interesting read about what the Pistons are thinking. Looks like the Pistons are running out of their first options.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 03:23 PM   #19
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Tyreke Evans has landed in New Orleans with the Pelicans in a three-team trade that sent Robin Lopez to Portland Trailblazers, Grievis Vasquez to the Sacramento Kings. The winners of that trade are both the Pelicans and the Kings. Ben McLemore and Marcus Thornton are at the two now, Vasquez and Jimmer Fredette at the point. They are set in their guards with Jason Thompson and Demarcus Cousins up-front. They need a small forward, didn't lose much cap space, and still could go after one in free agency to make themselves playoff contenders. The Pelicans now have a three-guard rotation of Eric Gordon (17.0 ppg, 3.3 apg, and 1.1 spg), Tyreke Evans (15.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.5 apg), and Jrue Holiday (17.7 ppg, 8.0 apg, 4.2 rpg, and 1.6 spg). They still have Austin Rivers as well. Fantastic backcourt to go with Ryan Andersen and Anthony Davis upfront. They are playoff contenders.

Kyle Korver stayed with the Hawks, I cannot believe that Chicago let Marco Belinelli go to San Antonio. They get another great shooter, like they need one. Earl Clark, formerly with the Lakers, has joined the Cleveland Cavaliers. In their first big free agency signee, the Charlotte Bobcats (soon-to-be the Hornets) landed Al Jefferson with a 40-million dollar deal. The Knicks agreed to bring back both J.R. Smith and Pablo Prigioni.

And the Dwight Howard update. No decision as of yet. The Warriors are trying hard to clear cap space (call the Pistons!). The Lakers now fear they may lose Dwight Howard. And it is being reported that Houston and Golden State are the two teams Howard is pursuing.

The Pistons are looking at bringing back both Will Bynum and Jose Calderon. They will probably have one of the other. Chicago and New York have made plays for Bynum. Chauncey Billups is being reported as a possible replacement should either bolt. Joe D and Chauncey are on better terms now then they have been since the trade to Denver in late 2008. And he would serve as a mentor (with shooting) to the younger Detroit members. I say bring him back. The Pistons need a leader in the locker room and Billups would be that, while they would have a late-game shooter if they need one.

Last edited by HaventGotALife; July 5 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old July 5 2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Borgminister

Hopefully the Chuckster will be yelling "Belinelliiiiiiii!!!" next year... San Antonio is ever unflappable, and has enough cap space to sign just one more surprise, maybe a serviceable big man. Andrew Bogut?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:57 PM   #21
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
And the Dwight Howard update. No decision as of yet. The Warriors are trying hard to clear cap space (call the Pistons!). The Lakers now fear they may lose Dwight Howard. And it is being reported that Houston and Golden State are the two teams Howard is pursuing.
The Lakers have feared they may lose Dwight since the season ended. And as for "pursuing", I'd say it's the other way around. The Lakers, Rocks, and Warriors are the ones doing the pursuing. Sounds like ESPN speculating, and "reporting" the obvious.

Dwight supposedly has made his decision and will tweet it sometime this week-end.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:56 PM   #22
gblews
Rear Admiral

Wow, my comment about the Warriors not having to worry about signing Dwight may have been premature. They just traded Richard Jefferson, Andres Biedrins and his albatross contract, to Utah. Also included in the deal, I believe, is a 1st round '13-'14 pick from the Warriors.

Warriors have also signed Iggy. This is all according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

Whether or not GS signs Dwight or not, this team is on the move. One thing I did forget before, the Warriors have God (one of many nicks Lakers fans have for Jerry West) in their front office.

Wojnarowski is also reporting that the only team eliminated by Dwight's team is the Mavs. That makes me smile. If Dwight doesn't sign with the Lakers, I'd rather see him with the Warriors than the Rocks. And if the Lakers can work a sign and trade (if they can), we could end up with with some nice young pieces, Klay Thompson maybe, and Harrison Barnes.
Old July 5 2013, 11:18 PM   #23
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

NBA.com is reporting that Dwight Howard will sign with the Houston Rockets. No story up yet, but here is the frontpage.

www.nba.com
Old July 5 2013, 11:22 PM   #24
Borgminister

Makes sense, frankly. See if McHale can corral the drama queen.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #25
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Borgminister wrote: View Post
They have gutted their team to get him. He's not surrounded by shooters anymore. It remains to be seen what happens with Josh Smith. The scuttlebutt all week has been that if Howard goes to Houston, Smith will follow. It means my Pistons will have missed out on free agency.
Old July 5 2013, 11:27 PM   #26
gblews
Rear Admiral

Crap! Multiple reports coming out now, that Dwight will sign with Houston. Qhy couldn't it be GS...now, no S&T. The Lakers are not interested in clogging their 13-14 cap with Jeremy Lin and Asik, per Woj. .
Old July 5 2013, 11:31 PM   #27
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
Crap! Multiple reports coming out now, that Dwight will sign with Houston. Qhy couldn't it be GS...now, no S&T. The Lakers are not interested in clogging their 13-14 cap with Jeremy Lin and Asik, per Woj. .
It seems ESPN got scooped. Nothing on their front page as of yet. I thought this was the best situation for Howard, but we'll see how it works out. I hate Houston, I hate Howard. So I won't be cheering for them this season.
Old July 6 2013, 02:21 AM   #28
Sran
Commodore

Borgminister wrote: View Post
There will always be drama with Howard. It's who he is. I'm more interested in seeing if McHale can help him develop a reliable low-post game.

--Sran
Old July 6 2013, 03:08 AM   #29
Sran
Commodore

Just a minute! Howard's now 50/50 on signing with Houston versus staying with the Lakers. Will this ever end?

--Sran
Old July 6 2013, 04:16 AM   #30
Sran
Commodore

It's Houston after all! Howard will sign on the dotted line.

--Sran