RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,547
Posts: 5,513,364
Members: 25,143
Currently online: 505
Newest member: ShadowL

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 5 2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Wouldn't it be smart for CBS or Paramount to just make a deal with or take over Star Trek: Phase II and/or Star Trek Continues as a way to get Trek back on air in some media or other? They both are quality fan series and at least Phase II has a fan base that could be built on which could somewhat negate the economic difficulties a brand new Trek series would face.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:39 AM   #2
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

The fan base of either is so tiny it doesn't matter for CBS. And why would a professional producer want to be burdened with the amateurs involved in either show?

Beyond that, the only thing either show has is the IP which CBS already owns.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

So far, both series have done a decent job on their own so all CBS would really need to do is just provide finances and oversight and guidance, perhaps from someone like Manny Coto. The problem is, of course, they will almost certainly wish to be more hands on than is really necessary. Still, I think it could work as long as CBS isn't too heavy handed. By the way, I suspect Phase II has a larger fanbase than you think.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Ketrick wrote: View Post
So far, both series have done a decent job on their own so all CBS would really need to do is just provide finances and oversight and guidance
Hollywood execs - and actors', extras' and directors' unions - don't work that way.

Throwing money at amateurs doesn't necessarily produce a higher quality product, nor guarantee a larger audience. And would fans who love making a show for fun, and no profit, really want to toss in their day jobs in hope that things would be... better? More authentic? Better accepted?

Have you seen many professional publishers buying up fanzines or sponsoring the amateur editors to print more? Have you seen many amateur home chefs get pursued by gourmet restaurants?

I suspect Phase II has a larger fanbase than you think
Based upon...?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:18 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Ketrick wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be smart for CBS or Paramount to just make a deal with or take over Star Trek: Phase II and/or Star Trek Continues as a way to get Trek back on air in some media or other? They both are quality fan series and at least Phase II has a fan base that could be built on which could somewhat negate the economic difficulties a brand new Trek series would face.
That's kinda what they're hoping will happen with Star Trek Renegades. Stands a slightly better chance of being taken over anyways since it involves some of the actors from the various shows.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Ketrick wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be smart for CBS or Paramount to just make a deal with or take over Star Trek: Phase II and/or Star Trek Continues as a way to get Trek back on air in some media or other? They both are quality fan series and at least Phase II has a fan base that could be built on which could somewhat negate the economic difficulties a brand new Trek series would face.
That's kinda what they're hoping will happen with Star Trek Renegades. Stands a slightly better chance of being taken over anyways since it involves some of the actors from the various shows.
True, however, if Renegades special effects are anything like Of Gods and Men's, I doubt it. Phase II and Continues have far better special effects than OGAM did.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

R. Star wrote: View Post
That's kinda what they're hoping will happen with Star Trek Renegades. Stands a slightly better chance of being taken over anyways since it involves some of the actors from the various shows.
Renegades, like any other fan-produced productions, has no chance in hell of ever being legitimized by CBS, no matter who is involved or starring in it.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

If a fan production could PROVE it was pulling in large numbers - HUGE numbers that mattered to a big corporation like CBS, you bet they'd be jumping to buy it up and continue production.

As of yet, no one's been able to provide any hard numbers to justify making such a move.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Ketrick wrote: View Post
So far, both series have done a decent job on their own so all CBS would really need to do is just provide finances and oversight and guidance, perhaps from someone like Manny Coto. The problem is, of course, they will almost certainly wish to be more hands on than is really necessary. Still, I think it could work as long as CBS isn't too heavy handed. By the way, I suspect Phase II has a larger fanbase than you think.
Ooooo! Being replaced by Manny Coto would be delightful! Only when I am out on my ear will our fan series become really good and popular!

(For what it's worth, we've recently brought Mr. David Gerrold onboard as our "show runner.)
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Throwing money at amateurs doesn't necessarily produce a higher quality product, nor guarantee a larger audience. And would fans who love making a show for fun, and no profit, really want to toss in their day jobs in hope that things would be... better? More authentic? Better accepted?
Plus, the guys throwing money at them would then be in a position to dictate new directions which they might not want to take. Not happening.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Ketrick wrote: View Post
So far, both series have done a decent job on their own so all CBS would really need to do is just provide finances and oversight and guidance, perhaps from someone like Manny Coto. The problem is, of course, they will almost certainly wish to be more hands on than is really necessary. Still, I think it could work as long as CBS isn't too heavy handed. By the way, I suspect Phase II has a larger fanbase than you think.
Ooooo! Being replaced by Manny Coto would be delightful! Only when I am out on my ear will our fan series become really good and popular!

(For what it's worth, we've recently brought Mr. David Gerrold onboard as our "show runner.)
Lol! I actually think you and the others in charge of Phase II have done an excellent job and that's why I wish CBS would just make Phase II an official series. I wasn't talking about having you or anyone else replaced, just having CBS put in their "man". Now, I didn't know y'all had brought David Gerrold in to be "show runner". So, no offence to Manny Coto, but it sounds like you already have someone who will do and has already done an awesome job. I just hope CBS would accept him and keep him on. I know I would.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Ketrick wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Ketrick wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be smart for CBS or Paramount to just make a deal with or take over Star Trek: Phase II and/or Star Trek Continues as a way to get Trek back on air in some media or other? They both are quality fan series and at least Phase II has a fan base that could be built on which could somewhat negate the economic difficulties a brand new Trek series would face.
That's kinda what they're hoping will happen with Star Trek Renegades. Stands a slightly better chance of being taken over anyways since it involves some of the actors from the various shows.
True, however, if Renegades special effects are anything like Of Gods and Men's, I doubt it. Phase II and Continues have far better special effects than OGAM did.
As Doc Brown would say "Your not thinking fourth dimensionally!"

Ogam was shot in 2006, the effects were a little bit dodgy, but compare it to New Voyages in 2006, they are roughly on par with OGAM. So now 7 years later, Renegades will have amazing VFX, we have 3 separate companies working on it. 2 of those companies are also doing effects for P2 and Continues. Renegades shares a pretty close nit relationship with 'Continues', many on our crew are also doing some work with 'Continues' also.

BTW, like your screen name
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:04 PM   #13
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Ketrick wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Ketrick wrote: View Post
So far, both series have done a decent job on their own so all CBS would really need to do is just provide finances and oversight and guidance, perhaps from someone like Manny Coto. The problem is, of course, they will almost certainly wish to be more hands on than is really necessary. Still, I think it could work as long as CBS isn't too heavy handed. By the way, I suspect Phase II has a larger fanbase than you think.
Ooooo! Being replaced by Manny Coto would be delightful! Only when I am out on my ear will our fan series become really good and popular!

(For what it's worth, we've recently brought Mr. David Gerrold onboard as our "show runner.)
Lol! I actually think you and the others in charge of Phase II have done an excellent job and that's why I wish CBS would just make Phase II an official series. I wasn't talking about having you or anyone else replaced, just having CBS put in their "man". Now, I didn't know y'all had brought David Gerrold in to be "show runner". So, no offence to Manny Coto, but it sounds like you already have someone who will do and has already done an awesome job. I just hope CBS would accept him and keep him on. I know I would.
Can the fans produce 20 episodes a year? Would they quit their day jobs? Are they even members of the relevant unions? Would the show even be that cheap once everyone involved is paid the union wage? And does either show have the us fan base in the millions that CBS would look for? What's your elevator pitch to moonves?
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Of Gods and Men was great fan Service, and great fun, but, it lacked a "Leading Man" (Or woman) personality to carry the movie. It was like a bunch of little vignettes with Character Actors. Like I said, it was great fun, but, certainly not saleable to the General Audience, who lack the nostalgia we have.

I haven't seen any Phase 2, but if it or Renegades has the same issues, they're no more salesable to the General Audience and therefore, would hold no attraction to CBS
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Why hasn't CBS or Paramount just taken over a fan series or two?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Of Gods and Men was great fan Service, and great fun, but, it lacked a "Leading Man" (Or woman) personality to carry the movie. It was like a bunch of little vignettes with Character Actors. Like I said, it was great fun, but, certainly not saleable to the General Audience, who lack the nostalgia we have.

I haven't seen any Phase 2, but if it or Renegades has the same issues, they're no more salesable to the General Audience and therefore, would hold no attraction to CBS
Well, whether our script is written by David Gerrold, or Dorothy Fontana, or by any of our writers, we try not to do lots of little little vignettes strung together to make an episode (although we have done short 5-minute-long stand-alone vignettes from time to time). Generally our full hour-long episodes follow a traditional TOS story structure involving the main characters of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

A typical example is our Hugo Award- and Nebula Award-nominated episode "World Enough and Time" with George Takei reprising his role of Sulu (and Grace Lee Whitney as Rand):

__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.