Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 5 2013, 01:46 PM   #211
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Creationists are not afraid of evolution. They just realize that evolution is unscientific.
Holy shit.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 01:46 PM   #212
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The problem is the concept of the almighty God, the omnipotent, all-knowing and always-right entity that is the creator of everything...

...If the Bible says Earth and men were created in 6-7 days, but science says Earth is 4 billion years old, then the Bible just must be right.
If he is omnipotent why did it take 6-7 days? He could have done it in the blink of an eye.

He sounds lazy to me.
Probably Osha regulations, they're a bugger.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 01:53 PM   #213
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's fairly safe to say that anyone who thinks the bible is an accurate historical record has never had to think very hard about anything beyond what clothes to wear in the morning.
A sad cheap shot. Plenty of intelligent people believe in the Bible's historical record, and many scientists do as well.

Many events in the Biblical record have been verified by archaeology and other studies. Serious historians believe in the life, death, and post-mortem appearances of Christ (how these are interpreted is another question, of course).

Ironically, you, if you're an atheist, must believe in evolution, even though it's never been verified either! Of course, I assume you trust in the evolutionists' subjective interpretations of DNA, morphology, and the fossil record, and believe that this proves that evolution occurred. Of course it doesn't, but you're not willing to look at the contradicting evidence.

Of course, this is an emotions issue and not a facts issue. For some people, the Bible is wholly unacceptable and therefore they consider it false with zero credibility. Being in denial like this and making such false claims helps some to cope. It is much easier than to believe that the God of the Bible exists, since the God of the Bible demands accountability for the way we live.
I believe it was Aristotle who said the mind left unexplored is a life wasted. I think you've demonstrated this pretty well in one post.

I studied the Bible at university as part of my degree. I also studied the Rig Veda and ancient Egyptian cartouches. As palaeography goes they are fascinating insight into the peoples who created them. As an absolute description of the world, not so much.
Old July 5 2013, 02:15 PM   #214
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Instead of "creation vs evolution," which will never be settled in our lifetimes, why not take a look at a conversation between reasonable people about good vs. evil?

Evil, Religion, and Responsibility
I'd love to. Do you have any recommendations for reasonable people to check out? My experience w/ Glenn Beck has shown that he does not fit the description.

1001001 wrote: View Post
This is brilliant!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 04:19 PM   #215
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The problem is the concept of the almighty God, the omnipotent, all-knowing and always-right entity that is the creator of everything...

...If the Bible says Earth and men were created in 6-7 days, but science says Earth is 4 billion years old, then the Bible just must be right.
If he is omnipotent why did it take 6-7 days? He could have done it in the blink of an eye.

He sounds lazy to me.
And why did he create beings that make mistakes?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:14 PM   #216
Pavonis
Commodore

I've always wondered if G-d's command to not eat from the Tree of Knowledge was just a simple case of reverse psychology.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:20 PM   #217
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I've always wondered if G-d's command to not eat from the Tree of Knowledge was just a simple case of reverse psychology.
he knew the outcome either way, presumably. If he didn't want things to happen the way they did, he should have put the tree where it was safe.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:29 PM   #218
Pavonis
Commodore

In the span of time between G-d's creation of Man and Man's fall by eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge (of Good and Evil), what was our original purpose? Were Adam and Eve (and Adam's ex-wife Lilith?) just suppose to hang out in the Garden of Eden? What would they be doing? What was their purpose? Because it sounds like a simple zoo. Let's make Man in our own image, G-d said, but then let's leave him locked up in an enclosure.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:46 PM   #219
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

In the span of time between G-d's creation of Man and Man's fall by eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge (of Good and Evil), what was our original purpose? Were Adam and Eve (and Adam's ex-wife Lilith?) just suppose to hang out in the Garden of Eden? What would they be doing? What was their purpose? Because it sounds like a simple zoo. Let's make Man in our own image, G-d said, but then let's leave him locked up in an enclosure.
God was lazy and needed someone he could subcontract the naming of the animals to. After that he needed to fire Adam, so he came up with the bogus Tree of Knowledge rule.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:11 PM   #220
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Given all the "features" of this universe, it has the feel of a prototype. I think we're the Beta-verse. After screwing around with us, he went on to create something really nifty that we'll never get to see.
Old July 5 2013, 10:22 PM   #221
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
he knew the outcome either way, presumably. If he didn't want things to happen the way they did, he should have put the tree where it was safe.
I think that's the point that always gets ignored about Genesis. There are things that God never had any power over. The trees and free will.

Genesis is a tale about a tyrant trying to keep his people uneducated. God LIES about the fruits of the tree of knowledge from good and evil: he tells them they would DIE if they ate from it. The snake comes around and tells Adam and Eve that this is a lie. And they eat the fruit, and suddenly they become truly self aware, they became knowledgable. The fruit gave them free will. And they decided to stop running around naked. And when God saw them running around with clothing, he got UPSET. And punished them by exiling them. Why? Because he was afraid there were now also going to eat from the tree of life. Then they would have been JUST LIKE HIM.
He couldn't change anything about the trees, and he couldn't control free will. And that's where he got afraid and started to punish them.

If you read Genesis, it really is NOT about an all-loving, all-understanding God. He is described as a powerful, but still limited creature. That has been my interpretation ever since I read that passage for the first time.
Old July 5 2013, 10:30 PM   #222
marksound
Fleet Captain

Adam and Eve did die. How do we know what would have happened had they not exercised their free will and not given into temptation?

That's the lesson. Resist the temptation to give in to evil.

Then the question becomes, what is evil?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:34 PM   #223
Gov Kodos
Admiral

what is evil?
The asshole god who created people who, thanks to his omniscience, he knew would do the very thing he already knew he would be punishing them for.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:34 PM   #224
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Adam and Eve did die. How do we know what would have happened had they not exercised their free will and not given into temptation?

I don't see any evil in becoming self aware and knowledgable. Maybe that's my problem. I'm on the snake's side. Especially when I see how God sadistically and cruely punishes them afterwards for making their FIRST mistake ever. That's not what I want to see from a good leader, or father, or boss.

But yeah, what is evil, and why is evil there, and why can't God do anything about it? No matter how you twist and turn it around, there is always SOMETHING that God has no power over.
Old July 5 2013, 10:34 PM   #225
iguana_tonante
Admiral

An eternal life of slavery, it seems.

No, the lesson is do not disobey your master, or you will be punished. A slave's morality.

Apparently, disobeying the whims of a cruel, powerful master. No thank you.