Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 3 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
maneth
Captain

Re: "The Trouble With Tribbles" is the most overrated episode of TOS..

I like this episode just fine, but I must admit I prefer "Trials and Tribble-ations". I think the most overrated episode is Space Seed, but then I'm biased because I detest Khan.
Old July 3 2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Doomsday
Lieutenant Commander

Comedy is such a subjective thing. What one finds hilarious, others think is dumb. I've read some of the comments here, stating that the humor/jokes in this ep are not very good. But I find the humor in this ep to be very witty and enjoyable.

But I've seen this before. Many times I've sat in a room with a group, watching a "comedy" movie, and everyone is rolling on the floor laughing, and I'm just sitting there wondering what they think is so funny. And go through the whole film and not even grin once.

It's all subjective.

For me, what I love about TTWT is it shows how our heroes do not take themselves to seriously, and are able to laugh at themselves and their situation. As someone else said, it shows that not every day in Starfleet is "save the universe", some days are just arguing with beaurocrats.

Some of this ep is "slapstick", (the bar fight). But some of the jokes are truly witty and not dumb (and some of this is in the delivery--I think this ep shows how the actors are good at comedy too, as we would see later in TVH. They have a good chemistry and comic timing).

I always loved Kirk's line to Barris, "People have disrupted stations before without being Klingon agents. Sometimes all they need is a title...Mr. Barris." And this joke does mean you have to have been paying attention and remember his introduction as "The Federation Under-Secretary in charge of Argricutural affairs in this quadrant". But mostly, it's Shatner's delivery and the twinkle in his eye as he says it. And that's just one example, there are many others.

It's certainly not the weightiest or most important episodes, but it's certainly one of the most fun to watch.
Old July 3 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
AtoZ
Commander

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
The way I see it, TTWT is friggin Shakespeare compared to episodes like Catspaw or Plato's Stepchildren!

AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Metryq
Captain

Doomsday wrote: View Post
the bar fight
Funny how they could have a bar fight in the Organian neutral zone.
Old July 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #20
CaptPapa
Commander

Hambone wrote: View Post
I know David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison have an agreement: Ellison wrote the "best" episode while Gerrold wrote the "most popular" episode.

"The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably the most popular episode with people who don't identify themselves as Star Trek fans. Since there are more of "them" than there are of "us", then by those standards it's the most popular TOS episode.

It's very accessible by the casual viewer, you don't need to know much about "Star Trek" to enjoy it. It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still enjoyable to me.
I think this covers it pretty well. An additional comment; I find William Campbell woefully inadequate as a Klingon. I like William Campbell a lot, and he was perfect as Trelane, (as another poster has already pointed out above), but his performance detracted from this story.
Old July 4 2013, 04:47 AM   #21
neoworx
Lieutenant

As with all things Trek, to each their own. But I think TTWT is definitely an excellent episode – well written, well acted and just down-right fun.

Kirk: "There's no accounting for taste"

Great stuff!

D
neoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:56 AM   #22
Push The Button
Captain

In my opinion, the second-best of the comedy episodes, behind "A Piece of the Action". I really enjoyed David Gerrold's book about the making of the episode, it has lots of good behind-the-scenes stuff, and I highly recommend it.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Hambone wrote: View Post
I know David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison have an agreement: Ellison wrote the "best" episode while Gerrold wrote the "most popular" episode.

"The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably the most popular episode with people who don't identify themselves as Star Trek fans. Since there are more of "them" than there are of "us", then by those standards it's the most popular TOS episode.

It's very accessible by the casual viewer, you don't need to know much about "Star Trek" to enjoy it. It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still enjoyable to me.

Both Tribbles and City are popular and well known to the general public & casual fan of the series. And both are considered among the best of Trek.

If I had to pick one episode to represent the series I would give the edge to City over Tribbles since it much more a feat of Science Fiction writing.

But Tribbles is still great fun and I think the idea how the cute furry creatures are actually a menace (although not in a typical way) is actually very clever. I think that is why it is my favorite of the comedy episodes as it actually has the best premise & originality. Piece of the Action & I-Mudd have their moments but they are also rehashes of what the series did before and I-Mudd is a bit sexist in my opinion.

And the scene between Scotty and Kirk when he is trying to find out who started the fight is just classic.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Metryq
Captain

Kinokima wrote: View Post
If I had to pick one episode to represent the series I would give the edge to City over Tribbles since it much more a feat of Science Fiction writing.
Fiction perhaps, but not science. Time travel stories—especially those invoking paradoxes—are fantasy. "Tribbles" on the other hand is highly "realistic." There have been uncounted instances where Mankind has had to deal with the explosive and unexpected results of tampering with the balance of an ecosystem.
Old July 5 2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Metryq wrote: View Post
Fiction perhaps, but not science. Time travel stories—especially those invoking paradoxes—are fantasy. "Tribbles" on the other hand is highly "realistic." There have been uncounted instances where Mankind has had to deal with the explosive and unexpected results of tampering with the balance of an ecosystem.
We could probably argue about this to no end but....to me...

Fiction = Fake therefore Science Fiction is either a fake story about science or a story about fake science, I can take either.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:56 PM   #26
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd say "The Menagerie" is probably the most overrated episode. Seeing the first pilot adds a nice bit of back story, and Spock's decision to violate regulations in Part I is a strong, dramatic hook, but Part II is a dud where the characters spend most of the episode watching TV punctuated by contrived cliffhangers at the act breaks which are all too easily resolved.

And yet, it's a Hugo winner. Season one had a number of episodes which were much, much stronger.
Oh, we're gonna get offtrack...

I find the ending from the point Mendez disappears to be utterly fantastic. And a perfect illustration of how early Shatner wasn't just good, he was fantastic at times.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Metryq wrote: View Post
I said science fiction not science. No where does it say science fiction has to be realistically scientific. If that was the case than Star Trek is most decidedly not a science fiction show.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:42 PM   #28
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I've always found "A Piece of the Action" more silly than funny. A planet whose people are so imitative that they'd choose to base their entire culture on a book about Chicago gangsters in the 1920s? Even in a comedy context, the premise is just too far-fetched for me to suspend disbelief.

Of course, not long after that episode aired, we got the Nazi Planet, the American Flag and Constitution Planet, the Roman Empire Planet . . .

Piece of the Action & I-Mudd have their moments but they are also rehashes of what the series did before and I-Mudd is a bit sexist in my opinion.
"I, Mudd" sexist? How so?
Old July 5 2013, 08:26 PM   #29
Metryq
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Even in a comedy context, the premise is just too far-fetched for me to suspend disbelief.
Chicago-style mobsters in charge is too far-fetched to believe? Really?
Old July 5 2013, 10:53 PM   #30
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
I've always found "A Piece of the Action" more silly than funny. A planet whose people are so imitative that they'd choose to base their entire culture on a book about Chicago gangsters in the 1920s? Even in a comedy context, the premise is just too far-fetched for me to suspend disbelief.

Of course, not long after that episode aired, we got the Nazi Planet, the American Flag and Constitution Planet, the Roman Empire Planet . . .
This.

TTWT, while a comedy, is much more respectful of the characters and setting of Star Trek, and believable as science fiction and Star Trek, IMO. Gerrold figured out who these characters were, and put them in situations where they were funny because of who they were, not because they were wearing funny gangster clothes and trying to drive a car.