BOSS :(tv series on starz) official disscussions

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by timothy, Apr 10, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

a new show starring kelsey grammer who will play a chicago mayor who has been diagnossed a mental degenerative mental condition . His wife will be played by connie nielsen. not sure when it will start but I will check out just because kelsey's in it . I usualy like his stuff.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt that very much he's a mayor in this one not corperate.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The season one DVD came out recently and the season two starts this week.

I have watched seven of the eight season one eps and will likely finish the DVD set tonight.

This show is excellent. Best thing I've seen hit TV since "Mad Men."

Grammar makes you forget about Frasier Crane and Sideshow Bob in about one minute, playing a corrupt politician who makes Rod Blagojevich and Richard Daley look like Sheriff Andy Taylor. He is that good. The rest of the cast also brings their "A" game, including a number of actors I haven't seen before.

The political intrigue is on a par with West Wing (without Sorkin preaching). The exploration of evil behind a facade of benign normalcy is on a par with "the Sopranos."

And, for icing on the cake its got a fair share of pay cable nudity (though, thankfully, from the younger cast members and not Grammar)

If this show was HBO or AMC we'd all be talking about it incessantly. Unfortunately, I think because its on Starz a lot of people missed it the first time around.

Highest recommendation.

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

If politicians are portrayed realisticly this is my kind of show.

6. the G-man

I'm two episodes into season 2 DVD. Still loving the show and still wildly disappointed it got cancelled.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw both seasons and was also disappointed it got cancelled. It was a great show.

8. the G-man

I'm watching season two episode three. It's great to see Daniel J Travanti in a TV show again. But it's shocking to see him this old having not really seen him since Hill Street blues 30 years ago

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, sad to see it was cancelled. I only found that out after the end of Season 2, and that sucked.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The ending was very frustrating especially because it was so anti-climatic and resolved absolutely nothing. What sucks because the premise had a lot of promise, but I believe some of that promise was squandered in the second season.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The main criticism I had of the second season was that it got a bit too lurid for my taste and it sort of came off as being thrown in there just because the show was on Starz, as if that was a requirement.

But the acting and most of the stories I thought remained pretty strong. I don't think it ended on an anti-climatic note (even though I wish there had been a bit more resolution between Kane and his wife) because they were writing it with the expectation that they were getting a third season. So it was the cliff hanger aspect that left a lot of stuff dangling.

Though at least one story arc seemed to get resolved satisfactorily: Sanaa Lathan's.

12. the G-man

Come for the T&A, stay for the political intrigue?

I can sort of see what you mean. I realize that the writers were trying to show Ian was the ultimate man-whore (sleeping with politicians of both sexes and even his own half-sister) when he thought it would benefit his career. But between him, the DA who likes to watch and Zajac it started to seem a bit like a Skinemax movie.

Agreed. The only story that I could have done without was Kane's daughter. The whole "junkie as a wild card" thing has been done to death and there wasn't much new or interesting in it. It also didn't help that the actress had trouble not slipping back into her native British accent.

It left stuff dangling but at least it wasn't a cliffhanger, ala Twin Peaks or ALF. Basically, the Mayor is still there, he's cutting dirty deals and someday he's going to die. Just like a real politician. ;)

I was kind of glad to see Miller disgraced. The character always annoyed me even though he was supposed to be the "good guy." OTOH, Kitty and a few others pointed out that he was, in his own way, as self righteous and power mad as Kane. I liked that.

I couldn't remember why her name seemed familiar so I looked her up on IMDB. Dang! She's Donna Tubbs? Props to her from doing that voice so different than the one she uses on Boss.