Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old July 5 2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Tribble puncher
Commander

Any Casual STO Players?

I only play 5-6 hour's weekly, and feel like I'm really missing out on effectively using my time, I kinda just fly around and play the episodes...I've been in the game off and on for over 2 years and only have one level 50 guy...only have mark 11 stuff...and I'm sure my duty officer roster is an absolute mess....any other casual players? any good resources for casual players?...everything I come across seems to cater towards the hardcore who spend hours playing every day....
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

If we define "casual" as roughly 5-6 hours a week, then yeah, I'm a casual player. Really, unless you're dropping money, it takes a lot of time for casual players to build up capital in-game.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
I only play 5-6 hour's weekly, and feel like I'm really missing out on effectively using my time, I kinda just fly around and play the episodes...I've been in the game off and on for over 2 years and only have one level 50 guy...only have mark 11 stuff...and I'm sure my duty officer roster is an absolute mess....any other casual players? any good resources for casual players?...everything I come across seems to cater towards the hardcore who spend hours playing every day....
Is that time daily, several blocks or one full block of time?

With time at a premium, it helps to decide what you want to do with it. If you want to do the episodes, you can get through those with green gear. It will get easier with blue or purple gear, but lets say you want XII greens. You need EC. The best way for someone who doesn't want to spend RL cash is to do a foundry farming mission. So instead of doing all episodes, work in one or two foundry farming missions. The first one you do each day will pay ship gear, personal gear or commodities.

Do a foundry mission and see what is worth equipping. Everything else you sell. With your time at a premium, you should probably vendor everything. You can earn 300k to 600k EC that way. With this cash you can start buying your green mk XII gear. Once you have all green gear, then you can start working towards blue gear. Don't worry about purple mk XII gear until you finish the episodes and are ready for end game content.

As far as your doffs, the next time you DOff, note the names of the assignments you normally do, and what DOffs they need, and the necessary traits for those DOffs. This will help you build your list of what you need. With limited funds start with green DOffs. Then upgrade to blue.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Vendikarr; July 6 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Rocketeer
Captain

Vendikarr - good info, thanks for posting

Tribble Puncher - When I'm short on time (which is most of the time these days), I do the DOFF assignments. I focus on Diplomacy first, my character's profession second, then everything else. DOFF assignments can net you a wide range of things from credits to equipment and BOFFs.

It took me 18 months to get my first char to level 50 so you're not alone. I'm in Central Europe, but if you see me online give a shout. I'll run an episode with you.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Tribble puncher
Commander

Rocketeer wrote: View Post

Tribble Puncher - When I'm short on time (which is most of the time these days), I do the DOFF assignments. I focus on Diplomacy first, my character's profession second, then everything else. DOFF assignments can net you a wide range of things from credits to equipment and BOFFs.

It took me 18 months to get my first char to level 50 so you're not alone. I'm in Central Europe, but if you see me online give a shout. I'll run an episode with you.
Rocketeer, Vendikarr, J. Allen, Thanks for the useful information, both of you....Yeah I'm all over the place on time...so we'll say I log in a couple of times a week and play in 2-3 hour blocks...Anyway, a couple of things (3 actually), I have alot of samples, particle traces, etc. I've sold some on the exchange, but not much, alot of it is "common" inventory, I hate to just throw it away, but my bank and inventory is becoming quite clogged...any thoughts? also, I'm a member of a fleet that I'm not sure I want to be in, how do I drop out?, should I notify the "fleet master?, I'm quite ignorant of the social aspects of the game, which means I'm probably missing out on alot. Again, thanks for all the help
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
If you want to do the episodes, you can get through those with green gear. It will get easier with blue or purple gear, but lets say you want XII greens.
You can get through the episodes with the random drops you pick up along the way. If you really want to buy stuff, you can do all the episodes (and normal STF's) easily in white mk9 gear. Heck, I think I've only bought two or three mkX+ guns off anything, exchange or otherwise, for all of my characters in all of my 1.5 years of playing, and I don't even farm or anything.

And that's with me being a relatively unskilled player.
Old July 10 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Rocketeer wrote: View Post

Rocketeer, Vendikarr, J. Allen, Thanks for the useful information, both of you....Yeah I'm all over the place on time...so we'll say I log in a couple of times a week and play in 2-3 hour blocks...Anyway, a couple of things (3 actually), I have alot of samples, particle traces, etc. I've sold some on the exchange, but not much, alot of it is "common" inventory, I hate to just throw it away, but my bank and inventory is becoming quite clogged...any thoughts? also, I'm a member of a fleet that I'm not sure I want to be in, how do I drop out?, should I notify the "fleet master?, I'm quite ignorant of the social aspects of the game, which means I'm probably missing out on alot. Again, thanks for all the help
regarding the data samples. On board your ship, go see the Science officer. Under special projects, I think, he has doff assignments where you give those to him, and the next day you get 250 dilithium. The rares he wants 3 of each and will return to you 500 dilithium. If you have huge stocks of each type, you can probably get a few runs out of those assignments. Just make sure you have good DOffs so you aren't just throwing away your samples
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Rocketeer
Captain

What V said about the data samples. There prices can flux wildly. I never discard any. I used to use a lot in crafting, then donating to fleet or giving to alt chars or friends. Some can also be used for fleet projects.

It would be more proper to let the fleet leader(s) know why you are leaving. If they are mature, they will accept your reasons. It's been my experience that you will enjoy a fleet more if you choose the fleet vs you accepting a blind fleet invite.
Old July 11 2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I was a massive player of this game, even have a LTS, but i am lucky if i log in for a few hours a week now, i am totally grind fatigued with the game.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Rocketeer
Captain

The advantage of a LTS is that most players don't feel driven to log in everyday.

Take a break if you need it. Stop grinding and find the parts of the game that you enjoy. :-)
Old July 11 2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I have been playing since launch so the grind fatigue for this game is off the chart for me, i logged in yestarday and did two Rom mission before i had to turn it off again, i dont think i have the will power to grind another charactor upto level 50.

And no before anybody asks, you cant have my stuff. lol

Shame though you cant trade or sell your unwanted account back to them.

Old July 11 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I took a short break of around 3 months because the grind was getting to me, but I came back to STO again. I did create a new romulan character just to play the new LoR missions, but I don't think I will be putting any effort into that character.
Old July 11 2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well i will say it lasted longer than GW2, i got a charactor and a half out of that before grinding fatigue hit, but at least with GW2 you only paid for the game and could walk away, unlike the cash and time you invested in STO which makes it much harder to simply walk away from.

But i will say the one positive thing that these games have made me appreciate these days is a good single player game, god did i lap up the last Tomb raider game.

Old July 11 2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Rocketeer
Captain

Haggis and tatties - I read an article (perhaps on TrekToday) that said that EU players could sell their accounts. Something about the EU laws on digital ownership. So if you're an EU citizen residing in Glasgow, that may be an option. (I'm not an EU citizen, so can't speak with authority on the subject.)

However, I recommend keeping your account incase you ever want to jump back into the game.

Last edited by Rocketeer; July 11 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old July 11 2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^Oh, thats intresting, i will need to look into that.

Cheers.