Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 4 2013, 06:28 PM   #181
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Unless you're some Gordon Gekko type player finalising a deal with Mr. Yagamoto in Tokyo I don't think it's too much to ask for you to take one minute from your hectic Wall Street schedule and exercise some common courtesy and basic politeness.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 07:29 PM   #182
sonak
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Unless you're some Gordon Gekko type player finalising a deal with Mr. Yagamoto in Tokyo I don't think it's too much to ask for you to take one minute from your hectic Wall Street schedule and exercise some common courtesy and basic politeness.

again, all these assumptions are based on the idea that customers are there to engage in some kind of discourse with a cashier. If I'm running in to some place to grab a box of cigarettes(I don't smoke) and I throw ten bucks on the counter while I'm talking to someone on my phone, I'd be pretty miffed If I was told that I'd have to get off the phone just to have the cashier hand me change.

I'd probably complain or not visit that particular store again. I am not obligated to say "hi, how are you?" to the cashier. I'm not an employee there and service is therefore not part of my job.

When I've worked as a cashier, and had to say my greeting to the customer, if they ignored me, I just shrugged and went on.

According to some here, I should have petulantly refused to serve them until they were nice to me.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 07:35 PM   #183
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

again, all these assumptions are based on the idea that customers are there to engage in some kind of discourse with a cashier. If I'm running in to some place to grab a box of cigarettes(I don't smoke) and I throw ten bucks on the counter while I'm talking to someone on my phone, I'd be pretty miffed If I was told that I'd have to get off the phone just to have the cashier hand me change.
You don't have to do anything. It would be a nice respectful thing to do though.
Old July 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #184
RoJoHen
Awesome

You don't have to do anything. It would be a nice respectful thing to do though.
Yeah, you don't have to get off the phone, but a "Hey, can you hold on one second?" to the person on the other end would at least show the cashier a minimal amount of respect. I realize that they're just there to perform a service, but they're still people.

Of course, I talk on my phone maybe a half hour every week, so I have a hard time understanding why anyone would need to be on their phone while shopping in the first place.
Old July 4 2013, 07:45 PM   #185
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm hardly ever on my phone. Very rarely would any conversation be important enough that it couldn't wait until I got home.
Old July 4 2013, 08:11 PM   #186
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

i think everyone's forgetting the fact that someone on the phone can visually acknowledge your existance with a look and give you money with one hand, etc.

sure, if someones just standing there in the way, oblivious to their surroundings then thats a problem.

to refuse someone in that first situation would be rudeness on the part of the cashier.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 08:37 PM   #187
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

Kirby wrote: View Post
^ There is a sign at my local coffee shop that says something like: "We understand if you're on your phone. It's probably important, so we'll assist other customers until you are done."

It seems to work...
I would like to see more of these signs where I shop.
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I'm amused/amazed at the idea that the customer and cashier have some kind of mutual responsibility to be polite to each other.
I think people have a mutual responsibility to be polite to each other, regardless of their roles in a particular situation.
Precisely. Some people, however, just do not understand the concepts of courtesy and mutual respect. I was raised to practice them, but I am noticing that more and more people just don't get it.

Several years ago, I stopped to fill up the gas tank. I was on the phone, because my employee had just been robbed. It is a 75 mile trip each way to get to that store.

I told my employee, who was very upset and frightened, to hold on just a moment while I paid for the gas. The cashier refused to take my money until I hung up the phone. I let her know I was not talking, as I had asked them to hold... she still refused. I called 911, told the police the situation, gave them my name, phone number and told them when the cashier was more reasonable, she could call me for payment.

To my surprise, the 911 dispatcher asked to speak to the cashier! Whatever they told her, she took my payment so I could be on my way. Since I had put my employee on hold, gave my full attention to the cashier, I felt it was wrong to be refused service... especially in an urgent situation.

My brother and I speak on the phone almost every day. We have an agreement that we put each other on hold if we are ready to order or check-out. It is just common courtesy to the people helping us with our purchases.
Old July 4 2013, 08:55 PM   #188
MacLeod
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
i think everyone's forgetting the fact that someone on the phone can visually acknowledge your existance with a look and give you money with one hand, etc.

sure, if someones just standing there in the way, oblivious to their surroundings then thats a problem.

to refuse someone in that first situation would be rudeness on the part of the cashier.
And I don't think anyone is saying that wouldn't be rude on the part of the cashier.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 10:29 PM   #189
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

actually i think thats what they were saying

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
I just ignore customers until they get off the phone.
or at least he was

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 4 2013, 10:38 PM   #190
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Oh, good. I was afraid I was being too subtle.
Old July 4 2013, 10:43 PM   #191
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

don't care. proves my point.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 4 2013, 10:44 PM   #192
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

My customer service skills are sublime..

someone whose job it is to serve customers.
.. partially because I'm very picky about who I accept as customers. Nobody who says that to my face would be served at my establishment.
Old July 4 2013, 10:59 PM   #193
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

customer: 'hi could you serve me?'

server: 'how dare you! get out!'

yeah that's how you run a business!

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old July 4 2013, 11:07 PM   #194
Festering Esper
Admiral

Except they wouldn't say 'hi could you serve me?'because they'd be on the phone.
Old July 4 2013, 11:40 PM   #195
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote