RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 497
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 18 2013, 06:27 PM   #91
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Re: The Prime Alternative

Very nice work... there is one technical issue I was wondering if you could address, and then I have two thoughts to share:

On the underside of the primary hull, the spotlights just seem wrong. They seem to start from behind the light-source. Is there something I am missing to explain why the lighting seems to start a few feet closer to the center of the saucer than the light-sources would suggest?

As far as aesthetics:

Having the three portholes forward on the bow seems out of place given the otherwise TMP era placement of windows. That somewhat stands in my way of appreciating the bow views as much as I might otherwise.

I personally find the fan blades too jarring. I prefer a clouded bussard... or the version found on Enterprise NX-01... gives the appearance of a reactive torrid as opposed to some big mechanical structure that seems to serve no useful purpose.

Those are my perspectives on this ship, which I find to be an amazing work of art. I'll be super excited to see the physical model.

Rob+
Old June 18 2013, 07:10 PM   #92
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Hi Rob... Thank you very much for all your kind words...
Since you raised several issues regarding the design concepts that went into this build... I believe they may all be answered by your review of this posting(s) about the Design Concepts:

1701 Prime Alternative

>http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=51475

>[SIZE=2] CLASS-F SHUTTLECRAFT GALILEO by The Prime Alternative[/SIZE]

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=50717

Please let us know what you think following your review...
-Rick

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK HERE
http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:48 PM   #93
MadMan1701A
Commodore

FatherRob wrote: View Post
Very nice work... there is one technical issue I was wondering if you could address, and then I have two thoughts to share:

On the underside of the primary hull, the spotlights just seem wrong. They seem to start from behind the light-source. Is there something I am missing to explain why the lighting seems to start a few feet closer to the center of the saucer than the light-sources would suggest?

As far as aesthetics:

Having the three portholes forward on the bow seems out of place given the otherwise TMP era placement of windows. That somewhat stands in my way of appreciating the bow views as much as I might otherwise.

I personally find the fan blades too jarring. I prefer a clouded bussard... or the version found on Enterprise NX-01... gives the appearance of a reactive torrid as opposed to some big mechanical structure that seems to serve no useful purpose.

Those are my perspectives on this ship, which I find to be an amazing work of art. I'll be super excited to see the physical model.

Rob+
Hi Rob,

Yeah, I think every one of the spotlights is fudged, to get it to look the way that I wanted. The way the lamps work in the software isn't really the way that a real light would work... that's why most ships and things even on TV shows now have impossible looking lights; if the actual light sources were where all the bulbs are, they wouldn't give the nice fan patterns we are used to seeing on ships. That being said, the lights are overlapping my physical lightbulbs, which should be impossible. I hadn't noticed that, until now.

I think that on the model for TMP, they used external lights and dental mirrors to light up the spots they wanted, for the same kind of reason.

As far as the Nacelle Domes go, some people like the clear ones with parts inside, some don't. I think the ones on the physical model are going to look great though... I can't wait to see them.

Thanks for taking a look, and I'm glad you like it.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:31 PM   #94
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your project is fantastic!
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 07:08 PM   #95
1701TPA
Lieutenant

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post

As far as aesthetics:

Rob+
Hi Rob,

Yeah, I think every one of the spotlights is fudged, to get it to look the way that I wanted. The way the lamps work in the software isn't really the way that a real light would work... that's why most ships and things even on TV shows now have impossible looking lights; if the actual light sources were where all the bulbs are, they wouldn't give the nice fan patterns we are used to seeing on ships. That being said, the lights are overlapping my physical lightbulbs, which should be impossible. I hadn't noticed that, until now.

I think that on the model for TMP, they used external lights and dental mirrors to light up the spots they wanted, for the same kind of reason.

As far as the Nacelle Domes go, some people like the clear ones with parts inside, some don't. I think the ones on the physical model are going to look great though... I can't wait to see them.

Thanks for taking a look, and I'm glad you like it.

-Ricky
Old June 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #96
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Jadin wrote: View Post
Your project is fantastic!
Thanks!!! ... we really appreciate all the compliments

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK
Old June 22 2013, 03:13 AM   #97
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

One word, Awesome!
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:47 AM   #98
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Sarvek wrote: View Post
One word, Awesome!
Thanks man... really appreciate that

Old July 3 2013, 12:46 AM   #99
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Great stuff! You've updated the TOS look without losing the TOS look!
Thanks

Old July 4 2013, 05:44 AM   #100
JJohnson
Captain

This is a great job at re-rendering the original USS Enterprise, just like deg3D and Vektor did years ago. Any of your three variants would have been a proud movie version of the Enterprise that truly retained the spirit of the original with the details modern audiences would have wanted, and could plausibly be refitted into the original Motion Picture version of the ship. Please keep up the great work!
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:56 AM   #101
JJohnson
Captain

As far as aesthetics:

Rob+
For the ramscoops, it'd be nice to see a bit of swirling gas in there while the spinning blades are in motion, giving the idea that they're drawing interstellar gas in, perhaps towards the center bulge there.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 04:54 PM   #102
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

It's a beautiful design, the blue and orange looks nice.
Old July 4 2013, 05:14 PM   #103
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Hey Mad Man, just wanted to say great work and thank you for being an inspiration for me.

Also what programs did you use to render and composite?
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #104
1701TPA
Lieutenant

JJohnson wrote: View Post

Rob+
For the ramscoops, it'd be nice to see a bit of swirling gas in there while the spinning blades are in motion, giving the idea that they're drawing interstellar gas in, perhaps towards the center bulge there.

Thanks for your suggestions but I never liked of the whole bussard collector / ramscoop concept...

I believe it was Vektor that once wrote (and I agree 100% with the statement below)
“Originally the Bussard Collectors weren't Bussard Collectors at all. I'm familiar with the design lineage. I don't like the concept of bussard collectors for several reasons. Bussard conceived them as part of a ramscoop drive system that really isn't applicable to a Trek ship other than for fuel replenishment, and there are certain problems with that as well. I just don't think they make sense other than as a one-off plot device. Arguably, the nacelles on the TOS Enterprise and the TMP refit never had bussard collectors and that innovation didn't come into use until the TNG era, which is the explanation I prefer.”

“So, if they're not bussard collectors, what are they?
➢ matter/energy sinks work just fine for me.”

In any case, the TOS rotating fan blades / bands and or veins, have always struck us as mechanical, inside a physical Nacelle Dome… Which is the design path Ricky and I have followed for this ship!

I'm also not a big fan of the "swirling plasma" concept either. I kinda subscribe to the concept that the rotating fan (clockwise & counter clockwise) blades create magnetic fields that shape the warp bubble around the ship…. Just a thought

See some of Our Design Concepts: 1701 Prime Alternative
>http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=51475
Old July 5 2013, 09:57 PM   #105
1701TPA
Lieutenant