RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 606
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old July 3 2013, 07:44 PM   #16
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: IAU Rejects name of Vulcan for Pluto moon

Here's an expanded article from CNN, which includes some additional content, plus feedback from Shatner. It contains his particular brand of snark we've all grown to expect.

I'm still baffled by how many moons that are orbiting around something that's no longer considered a "planet". DAMN YOU NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON!!!!
Old July 3 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Here's an expanded article from CNN, which includes some additional content, plus feedback from Shatner. It contains his particular brand of snark we've all grown to expect.
If Shatner is angry about it, there's no question it was a good decision.

Now, speaking of rattling the cage, if there's an astronomical object to name Vulcan, it should be an asteroid belt formed from the remnants of a planet.
Old July 3 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I didn't get the impression that he was terribly angry about it in the purest sense of the word; just the delivery of Sahara-dry humor that I think oftentimes gets misunderstood. I mean, here's what he said:
I'm sad... So they name a moon Kerebus because there's already a Cerebus asteroid but a mythological planet knocks out Vulcan?... Star Trek fans have had it rough. First JJ (Abrams) blows up Vulcan and now SETI finds a loophole to deny it from coming back!... I think they used us for promotional purposes! They're probably Star Wars fans!
That's not anger. That's pure Shatner snark.
Old July 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I still maintain that Pluto was promoted, not demoted. It went from the last and least member of the planet category to the first and foremost member of a whole new category of object, the harbinger of a whole new era of discovery
You mean that for Pluto it's better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven?

Kidding aside, I agree completely. Now the whole "a dwarf planet is not a planet" is awkward, but oh well.
Old July 3 2013, 10:38 PM   #20
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I still maintain that Pluto was promoted, not demoted. It went from the last and least member of the planet category to the first and foremost member of a whole new category of object, the harbinger of a whole new era of discovery
You mean that for Pluto it's better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven?

Kidding aside, I agree completely. Now the whole "a dwarf planet is not a planet" is awkward, but oh well.
Very awkward since it has been hinted that if a Mars sized object or larger were to be found in the Kuiper Belt it would get the tag dwarf planet. Dwarf planets, terrestrial planets, gas giants to me are all planets.
Old July 3 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=YellowSubmarine;8331490
I'd take the terminology hysteria a little bit further. It was never quite enough, and if IAU rejects Vulcan, I reject IAU.
[/quote]

No doubt this will cause the IAu an endless number of sleepless nights.

I'll never cease fighting against IAU, even when they make the occasional right naming decision once in a while, such as this one!
Well, a few more enraged internet positings ought to turn them around.

Oh, and while we are at it, Kerberos sounds like a deliberately obnoxious word made up by either Orcs or computer programmers, they should have gone with Persephone. Not enough female moons out there anyway.
Greek spelling of Cerberus. Easy to confuse with the Orcs, though. One responsible for democracy, the other worked for Sauron to recapture the One Ring. Get them mixed-up al the time, myself.

Personally, the IAU made the right call here. Trekkies already jumped the gun with the space shuttle (and you what that got us). Wait for a new planet, then clammor for it be called Vulcan.
Old July 3 2013, 11:50 PM   #22
iguana_tonante
Admiral

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Now the whole "a dwarf planet is not a planet" is awkward, but oh well.
Very awkward since it has been hinted that if a Mars sized object or larger were to be found in the Kuiper Belt it would get the tag dwarf planet.
We'll crack that when we find one. No biggies.

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Dwarf planets, terrestrial planets, gas giants to me are all planets.
This, on the other hand, makes no sense. There is no "to me" here. Just a matter of consensus in the scientific community. You can claim that stars, cats, and verbs are all apples to you, and that would be equally meaningless.
Old July 4 2013, 12:17 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Oh, and while we are at it, Kerberos sounds like a deliberately obnoxious word made up by either Orcs or computer programmers...
No, it sounds like a Greek word that hasn't been Latinized. That's how it's supposed to be spelled. Well, except... in the Greek alphabet.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'm still baffled by how many moons that are orbiting around something that's no longer considered a "planet".
Plenty of asteroids have moons. A moon is a satellite of another object; that object is not required to be a planet.

Now the whole "a dwarf planet is not a planet" is awkward, but oh well.
As I understand it, it's a collision of two separate proposals that don't mesh well. One proposal was for a subclass of planets that would be called dwarf planets; the other was for a class of non-planetary objects that would be called subplanets. Somehow the closed-door committee that slapped together a hasty compromise ended up taking a little from Column A and a little from Column B and ending up with a class of non-planetary objects called dwarf planets, which is conceptually, linguistically, and procedurally a mess. Although it certainly fits the classic definition of a compromise: an agreement that leaves both sides equally unhappy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:25 AM   #24
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Having been in astrophysical committees, I have no troubles believing this.
Old July 4 2013, 01:34 PM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
So, the moonlets Kerberos and Styx are orbiting the binary planetinos Plato and Charon.
Have you been to Planetino's? Great Italian food but a little pricey.