Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 3 2013, 11:10 PM   #151
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
No, by acting all shocked like he said something horrifying, and making hyperbolic assumptions that he thinks he's superior to cashiers or considers them automatons. Plus, using the roll-eyes emoticon. That's like the DefCon One of emoticon escalation.
I wasn't shocked. As I stated, I was surprised because I usually agree with Pingfah. I still think he's an intelligent poster and I enjoy his posts. I just disagree with him on this issue.

My view is that politeness should be a two-way street. It doesn't matter that the cashier is paid to be there. They're still people on an equal level with the costumer.

You're the one supplying the hyperbole.

Mr Awe

I'm amused/amazed at the idea that the customer and cashier have some kind of mutual responsibility to be polite to each other.

Customer service is the JOB of the cashier! It's a big chunk of what they're paid for. Running a cash register is pretty basic, so the customer service aspect of the job is what often distinguishes a good cashier from a bad one.

The customer, on the other hand, is NOT getting paid to be polite to the cashier, and they are supporting the cashier's employment by SHOPPING at the business where the cashier works.

If a customer wants to talk on a cell phone and completely ignore a cashier, that's fine, because the customer's whole reason for being there is to buy a product, NOT to engage in chit-chat with the cashier. Customer-employee is NOT a two-way street, nor is it an equal relationship.

I have had cashier jobs and customer service positions, and I would never have considered that a customer had an "equal" responsibility to be polite to me. It's my JOB to be polite to them, no matter how they treat me, but the reverse is not true.

I certainly agree that cashiers should be treated with respect, but I don't even think that talking on a cell phone while at a check-out line is disrespect. It's not like the customer's purpose in being there is to talk to the cashier, and they're under no obligation to do so.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 11:47 PM   #152
MacLeod
Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
Putting aside the fact that Pingfah is clearly a monster who does not value those beneath him, I'd say the phonecall scenario is slightly rude. It depends on a lot of things, like if you are buying three items at a grocery store, or if you are placing some complicated order or at a doctor's office or something. The more routine the transaction, the more understandable it is.

People just need to be understanding in both sides of it. If you're a cashier, don't assume that the phonecall is something unimportant. Maybe I've just had a call returned that I've been waiting on for a week. If you're the customer, don't multitask people when you don't have to.

If I have a call I can't put down and have some routine transaction going on, I'll move the phone for a second and apologize to the cashier, and make sure I'm paying attention to the transaction. It's not ideal, but it's not unforgivable either.
I agree with your last paragraph, sometimes all it takes is simply saying to the cashier "I'm sorry but I really need to take this call". It shows you have acknowledged them.

I've worked behind the tills/been in queues where the customer who is on the phone is totally oblivious to the fact that their items have been processed through the till and sometimes even bagged and have been asked to make payment several times.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 11:57 PM   #153
Gov Kodos
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
Putting aside the fact that Pingfah is clearly a monster who does not value those beneath him, I'd say the phonecall scenario is slightly rude. It depends on a lot of things, like if you are buying three items at a grocery store, or if you are placing some complicated order or at a doctor's office or something. The more routine the transaction, the more understandable it is.

People just need to be understanding in both sides of it. If you're a cashier, don't assume that the phonecall is something unimportant. Maybe I've just had a call returned that I've been waiting on for a week. If you're the customer, don't multitask people when you don't have to.

If I have a call I can't put down and have some routine transaction going on, I'll move the phone for a second and apologize to the cashier, and make sure I'm paying attention to the transaction. It's not ideal, but it's not unforgivable either.
I agree with your last paragraph, sometimes all it takes is simply saying to the cashier "I'm sorry but I really need to take this call". It shows you have acknowledged them.

I've worked behind the tills/been in queues where the customer who is on the phone is totally oblivious to the fact that their items have been processed through the till and sometimes even bagged and have been asked to make payment several times.
It's especially vexing when you're in line behind the idiot on the phone.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:35 AM   #154
MacLeod
Admiral

Oh I know, fortunantly if I've only got a few items I head straight to the self-scan checkouts (if the store has them). But then you have the people who can't seem to grasp the concpet that when it says "15 items or less" or "about 15 items or less". It doesn't mean 25+ items.

But I digress.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:38 AM   #155
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
You're the one supplying the hyperbole.
No, YOU are!

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:41 AM   #156
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Just because the customer is the one shopping, and the cashier is the one with the job, doesn't give the customer carte blanche to act like a jackass. Somebody jabbering away on a cellphone in the middle of a transaction can be disruptive, not only to the cashier, but to other customers. It can make it difficult to serve them if they can't talk back to the employees. And it holds up the line as well. Why should those running the store have to allow that?

In the end, while it may be technically allowable to have the customer yakking away, it doesn't make it right. All parties have certain responsibilities to each other. Job or no job.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:17 AM   #157
sonak
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Just because the customer is the one shopping, and the cashier is the one with the job, doesn't give the customer carte blanche to act like a jackass. Somebody jabbering away on a cellphone in the middle of a transaction can be disruptive, not only to the cashier, but to other customers. It can make it difficult to serve them if they can't talk back to the employees. And it holds up the line as well. Why should those running the store have to allow that?

In the end, while it may be technically allowable to have the customer yakking away, it doesn't make it right. All parties have certain responsibilities to each other. Job or no job.

not everyone who talks on their cell phone in public is that stereotypical person who's yelling loudly and disrupting those around them. If the customer is talking in a relatively low voice, then being on their phone is no different than if they were having a conversation with a friend who was next to them.

And yeah, if there's an issue during the transaction where there needs to be a question asked, that's one thing. But if it's a routine cash purchase for a few items that requires nothing more than handing over a twenty dollar bill, there's no real need to get off the phone. Again, the customer is not there to be friendly to the cashier.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:19 AM   #158
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Again, the customer is not there to be friendly to the cashier.
The customer is there to make a purchase. Talking on a cellphone during that purchase and/or being rude to the cashier can make it more difficult to complete it. Therefore, it stands to reason that the talking should be kept to a minimum.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old July 4 2013, 01:26 AM   #159
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The customer is there to make a purchase. Talking on a cellphone during that purchase and/or being rude to the cashier can make it more difficult to complete it. Therefore, it stands to reason that the talking should be kept to a minimum.
He's not being paid to watch some idiot talk on their phone.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:28 AM   #160
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I know cellphone jamming devices are illegal, but damn, it's fun to think about.
Old July 4 2013, 01:32 AM   #161
sonak
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
He's not being paid to watch some idiot talk on their phone.

I don't know what this means. He's being paid to faciliate the exchange of a customer's money for products/services, and to provide customer service when needed.

In the case described, he facilitated the transaction and there was no service needed. So he was getting paid for doing exactly what his job required.

Where does this idea that the customer has a "responsibility" to the cashier come from? It's not an equal relationship. Nor is boss to employee. Sometimes, that's just the way it is. It doesn't mean that customers should be rude.
Old July 4 2013, 01:42 AM   #162
Kestra
Vice Admiral

It seems like people aren't even arguing from point of responsibility, but respect vs disrespect. Pingfah and a few others simply don't consider it disrespectful, provided that it doesn't make the transaction more difficult. Those saying that it's disrespectful seem to be making the assumption that a cell phone call is automatically hindering the exchange and making things worse for the cashier.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:45 AM   #163
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If someone calls me as I'm about to buy something I don't stop talking. All I have to do is hand over the money or card which is not hindered by being on the phone. If the cashier misses out on asking me how my day was I'm sure they'll get over it. I'm not there to talk to the cashier, I'm there to buy something.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 03:02 AM   #164
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

For me its about the other customers. They shouldn't have to wait, because the person ahead of them in line is oblivious to the fact he needs to participate in the transaction occurring.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 03:04 AM   #165
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I multi task like a boss.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote