Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 2 2013, 04:42 PM   #2371
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

You'll be needing the follow up as well then. Logans World ?
Old July 2 2013, 05:39 PM   #2372
Paris
Fleet Captain

After finishing the excellent ENT: A Choice of Futures by Christopher, i've moved back to my pile of unread comics until Shocks of Adversity comes in from Amazon....
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:54 PM   #2373
Daddy Todd
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
And the fairly dreadful third book, Logan's Search.

On second thought, just skip the sequels.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:41 PM   #2374
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

I have vague memories of reading the second book way back when. Not sure I ever caught up with the third.

(True story: I briefly considered buying the rights to those books for Tor back when Bryan Singer was talking about remaking LOGAN, but then that project disappeared into limbo . . . .)
Old July 2 2013, 07:01 PM   #2375
Relayer1
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

I have vague memories of reading the second book way back when. Not sure I ever caught up with the third.

(True story: I briefly considered buying the rights to those books for Tor back when Bryan Singer was talking about remaking LOGAN, but then that project disappeared into limbo . . . .)
Looking at the prices on Amazon UK maybe you should have !

I didn't even know there was a third book, but having read the summary on Wiki I don't think I've missed out...
Old July 3 2013, 02:09 PM   #2376
Use of Time
Commodore

I read A Rock and A Hard Place yesterday by Peter David. I feel like the Quinton Stone character was a little too cliche but I like his interactions with Worf and Troi.

Halfway through Saratoga as of today. This book reads strangely similar to TNG Reunion which was also by Friedman.
Old July 3 2013, 10:22 PM   #2377
JD
Admiral

Finished up The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
My review from Shelfari wrote:
This was a really fun urban fantasy. It had a great cast with an interesting story, and some unexpected surprises. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
I rated it a 4/5. I'm really looking forward to the movie coming out next month.
Once I finished that, I jumped right into Magic Burns, the second book in the Kate Daniels urban fantasy series.
Old July 4 2013, 12:41 AM   #2378
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Stargate SG-1: Relativity by James Swallow earlier today. The book has a few twists I liked, including the reappearance of an old enemy. Of the SG-1 novels I've read (The Price You Pay, The First Amendment, Four Dragons, and Sunrise) this is by far the best. Of course, having enjoyed everything else I've read by Swallow, that's not surprising.

I'm now about to start the first story in the New Frontier: No Limits anthology, "Mackenzie Calhoun: Loose Ends".
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:36 AM   #2379
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

hydrogen sonata by iain m banks
Old July 4 2013, 08:01 PM   #2380
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I read the New Frontier: No Limits Calhoun story, Loose Ends, last night. Today I read the Shelby story, All That Glisters..., followed by the Kebron story, Waiting for G'Doh, or How I Learned to Stop Moving and Hate People.

I'm now about to start Star Trek: The Shocks of Adversity by William Leisner.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 10:52 PM   #2381
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Lately, I've been in a Deep Space Nine mood. (For me, DS9 seemed more a sequel to TOS...and captures the action/drama that the TOS series had. Also, I watched Star Trek Into Darkness today; my second time seeing the film). Hence, I will possibly read 'The 34th Rule' next.

I've just finish reading 'Fledgling' by Octavia Butler again...and still believe it's a brilliant novel. Before 'Fledgling' I read 'Firestarter,' which also was good...but didn't have the urgency to give it a fast pace, since the story could have gone on and on during the scenes when the protagonists are captured by the antagonists.

While reading 'The 34th Rule' I may simultaneously re-read '3001.'
Old July 5 2013, 01:41 AM   #2382
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finally forced myself to get through Titan: Sword of Damocles. I really did not get into the groove of that one. It felt directionless, taking quite a bit of time to get the plot and then speeding through it. (Some weird issues, too. The planet is stated as having gravity something like 5 times that of Earth, but this issue is never mentioned when the away team makes planet fall.) There were some sequences I enjoyed, and the character building of Dakal and Ra-Havreii was really good. But man... I really did not like this one in the least.

I also read through Seven Deadly Sins: Gluttony: Revenant which I also really didn't enjoy. Overly long (1/5 of the whole anthology!) and it seemed a bit divorced from its theme sin. I did enjoy seeing Locarno, but it was largely disappointing. The Borg also seemed decidedly different in this tale, much more Zombie/Vampirish then Borg which could be fun but didn't seem to work. (Particularly telling about misunderstanding the Borg, one drone uses a "nanoprobe" to assimilate people which is described as being a large needle!)

This morning I breezed through Something Borrowed the Sixth Doctor 50th Anniversary eBook. I quite liked it, not the greatest thing ever, but a nice bit of fun. I was hoping that with the book being first person from Peri's POV we'd get a bit more of her involvement in the climax, but she oddly takes a backseat. Still, it was fun and probably amongst my favorites of the eBooks released so far.

Finally, I started Greater Than the Sum. Only a few pages in, not even through the Prologue when the BBQ-ing started, but quite enjoying it.
Old July 5 2013, 06:35 PM   #2383
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading the Tos book The Klingon Gambit by Robert Varderman.It was a typical tos story with Kirk versus Klingons.It's not one of the best Tos novels I've read recently.I liked Crossroads by Barbara Hambly great Tos character storyarcs and a real interesting time travel mystery too.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 08:18 PM   #2384
Relayer1
Commodore

Reading some Lovecraft and ST Corps of Engineers (reached 27 - Balance of Nature) while impatiently waiting for Amazon UK to send me my copy of Rise of the Federation.
Old July 5 2013, 08:23 PM   #2385
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Finished off Fallen Gods a couple of days ago, and am now about three quarters through Indistinguishable from Magic.
Fallen Gods was an odd one - seemed like half of two different stories, neither of which developed properly or finished...or was that just me?
Still working my way through the trek re-launch continuity...but so far as I can tell, that was the last Titan book...are we going to find out what happened to Pava and the other Andorians? Is this plot picked up by another book?
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote