RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,577
Posts: 5,403,079
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 456
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 3 2013, 02:38 PM   #76
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I would have slightly more respect for creationists if they would agree to teach multiple creation stories to their children but, at least in the West, it is only the Biblical creation story they want taught in schools.
That makes sense to you because you put all creation stories, including the Biblical ones, in one category: myths. But creationists don't. They believe that the Biblical story is the literal truth and that the other stories, including evolution, are the myths. So, from their perspective, it would make no more sense to teach other creation stories than to teach evolution.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 03:57 PM   #77
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Davros wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Scientists have not proved evolution,
Actually, they have.
The core of the Theory has been proven multiple times...
Living organisms do evolve based on external influences...
We are even able to force it and make it work for us, like better crops, differently coloured flowers or dogs that are bred for specific duties, like guard-dogs or hunting-dogs...
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:08 PM   #78
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Applied genetic selection is not evolution.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:13 PM   #79
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Besides the fact that creationists treat rationality and the scientific method as if they were mere options, creationism's biggest philosophical sin is that it believes that there is such a thing as perfection, and that said perfection cannot ever change or evolve. It is, by definition, an anti-progress, anti-intellectual dogma.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:02 PM   #80
B.J.
Rear Admiral
 
B.J.'s Avatar
 
Location: Huntsville, AL, USA
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

1001001 wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

Same with Catholicism.

I think the short answer is that people who take the Bible (or any religious text) literally find comfort in the certainty. Concrete, black or white thinking avoids the anxiety of doubt.
Didn't Pope John Paul II come out in favor of evolution? I'm not sure what Francis says about it, but I've always thought that they should go both hand in hand. It's all a matter of interpretation.
I was taught evolution by priests in high school. That was in the early 80's.

It wasn't even given much discussion. It was matter-of-fact.

There is no contradiction between evolution and Catholic faith.
My kids are currently in Catholic school, and yes, they are teaching evolution as it is known in the scientific community.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Portal wrote: View Post
Has the Big Bang Theory been proven?
Not conclusively, but beyond reasonable doubt.
Just wanted to point out that the Big Bang Theory was initially proposed by a Catholic priest.
__________________
B.J. --- bj-o23.deviantart.com
B.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:50 PM   #81
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

B.J. wrote: View Post
Just wanted to point out that the Big Bang Theory was initially proposed by a Catholic priest.
I wish the Catholic Church would start cracking down on priests that create lousy TV shows.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:55 PM   #82
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

I like the show, though sometimes the show is too malky.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:12 PM   #83
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote:
I accept that there are things that we can't comprehend. I state my beliefs and stand behind them. It's called "faith."
If you want to challenge that, go ahead. But don't expect me to argue the point for your entertainment.
ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:21 PM   #84
Llama
Captain
 
Llama's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote:
I accept that there are things that we can't comprehend. I state my beliefs and stand behind them. It's called "faith."
If you want to challenge that, go ahead. But don't expect me to argue the point for your entertainment.
ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side?
Except that its not. At no point does the theory of evolution by natural selection even mention god, let alone if he/she/it exists or not. Evolution is not explicitly anti-religion; it's just our best, evidence-based, explanation for the diversity of life on the planet.
__________________
Llamas are larger than frogs.
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:26 PM   #85
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side?
No.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:27 PM   #86
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I would have slightly more respect for creationists if they would agree to teach multiple creation stories to their children but, at least in the West, it is only the Biblical creation story they want taught in schools.
That makes sense to you because you put all creation stories, including the Biblical ones, in one category: myths. But creationists don't. They believe that the Biblical story is the literal truth and that the other stories, including evolution, are the myths. So, from their perspective, it would make no more sense to teach other creation stories than to teach evolution.
If they don't want to run into conflict with the establishment clause they will have to live with it.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:38 PM   #87
Llama
Captain
 
Llama's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

What I don't get is how a literal interpretation of Genesis creation gets past the contradictions in the text? We start with creation story version 1.0, the six days of creation; this is followed by creation story version 2.0, Adam and Eve.

There are different orders of creation in each story (eg humans are create AFTER animals in the first, but BEFORE animals in the second) and even the creation of humans is different (ie Adam is created well before Eve, but in the six days version man and woman are created at the same time (in fact Jewish biblical scholars suggest that the Hebrew text suggest that they were created as a single creature, back-to-back male and female together)).

Genesis has been around for at least 2,500 years - you don't think rabbis and Jewish scholars haven't noticed the contradictions before?

Why do the Christians have to come and misinterpret Jewish texts? I mean original sin, really??? WTF?!?
__________________
Llamas are larger than frogs.
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 11:01 PM   #88
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

^ Lots of us Christians are aware that there are multiple contradictory creation stories, and we don't take any of them literally.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 11:05 PM   #89
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote:
I accept that there are things that we can't comprehend. I state my beliefs and stand behind them. It's called "faith."
If you want to challenge that, go ahead. But don't expect me to argue the point for your entertainment.
ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side?
1) Evolution is a thing.
2) Because of the evidence.
3) Therefore, evolution is a thing.

Not really equivalent is it no matter how much you do.

look, i win.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 11:11 PM   #90
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

junxon wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
And your argument isn't the exact same thing but on the other side?
1) Evolution is a thing.
2) Because of the evidence.
3) Therefore, evolution is a thing.

Not really equivalent is it no matter how much you do.

look i win.
Evolution is a thing. If it makes you feel good about yourself, good for you.

Yeah, I have a life. I don't have time to sit around on an internet forum to try to convince a bunch of people that God exists, especially those who start topics like this.

Have a nice day.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.