Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 3 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
foxhot
Fleet Captain

BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes

When Rojan reduces Shea and Thompson, the camera work deliberately shifts position of the cubes so we don't necessarily remember which was which. Shea is restored but Thompson isn't.

Both were equally nonessential to Rojan so both were picked. After seeing this episode umpteen times I just asked myself yesterday: did Rojan deliberately select her? Or, being both nonessential, did he simply randomly act without remembering which was which? I'd steer towards random unknowing on his part. What say you?
Old July 3 2013, 02:18 PM   #2
ItsGreen
Commander

Re: BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes

(one of my submissions back in the day on "You Can't do that on Star Trek")
ItsGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
DaleC76
Captain

That really creeped me out as a kid.
Old July 3 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Redfern
Commodore

I don't know if Rojan made a deliberate choice, but I will give the director credit for "blocking" the shots so that it was internally consistant. The "cube" he crushed was indeed the young woman.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Trek Sifter
Ensign

That's an interesting scene (I admit I was surprised that the male redshirt wasn't the one to die).

Rather than "random unknowing," I'd think of it as deliberate neutrality--or maybe just plain apathy for which one it'd be; I don't think Rojan thought that one or the other would have been more persuasive to remain alive. I think that as a non-human, he saw them as equals, so he thought the point of his persuasion was specifically his ability to kill--not whom he'd kill.
Old July 3 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral

A bit off-topic, but Rojan and the Cubes sounds like it would have been a good name for an '80s New Wave rock band.
Old July 3 2013, 09:00 PM   #7
CaptPapa
Commander

Each time I watch this episode, I carefully try to follow the cubes through the scene. I agree that the director/crew got it right - the female crew member's cube was destroyed.
I can't say what Rojan was thinking when deciding which to destroy, but the writer certainly did give it thought. In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.
As an aside, when watching the episode I often wonder did the restored crew member have a headache, or other assorted bumps and bruises from being tossed about while in a 'dehydrated' state?
Old July 3 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Once he was restored, Shea looked perfectly normal and unhurt. And he was still upright, which given these cubes were truly ten-sided, defies the odds.
Old July 3 2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Trek Sifter
Ensign

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.
I'd love to have this part elaborated on (I didn't live through the context of the time, by the way). If it was the woman that survived, it'd be a sort of damsel-in-distress situation--is the impact the fact that the situation didn't allow for woman-saving to occur? (Also, is it somewhat good/refreshing that the damsel-in-distress cliche was thereby avoided?)

I'm also wondering, what if it wasn't revealed right away who the survivor was?
Old July 4 2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

scotpens wrote: View Post
A bit off-topic, but Rojan and the Cubes sounds like it would have been a good name for an '80s New Wave rock band.
foxhot wrote: View Post
Once he was restored, Shea looked perfectly normal and unhurt. And he was still upright, which given these cubes were truly ten-sided, defies the odds.
Except they aren't 10-sided, nor are they cubes. They're 14-sided (d14 to all the D&D players here ). AKA tetradecahedron.

What I always wondered is where they got stored for the duration of the episode, and what the fallout was when they were restored. It must have been hellishly disorienting, to put it mildly.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Metryq
Captain

I kept thinking about the remaining crew and the Kelvins casually walking around the halls littered with those shapes. You'd think someone might be conscientious enough to stow them all in a big room somewhere, where they'd be safe. I wouldn't want to bargain bin them into a huge pile—imagine the chaos if one of the Kelvins blithely restored the entire pile all at once! Phone booth cramming, Kelvin style.

And why did the Kelvins send a "generation ship" from Andromeda if they could...

Hey, Doc Ostrow! Stop juggling your patients!
Old July 4 2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Timewalker

Even at the highest warp speed they could manage, it still took more than one Kelvan lifespan to get from one galaxy to the other. That's why they would need a generation ship.

Orion Press has a series of rather scarifying stories about the Kelvans, not to be read by the squeamish.

Old July 4 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Even at the highest warp speed they could manage, it still took more than one Kelvan lifespan to get from one galaxy to the other. That's why they would need a generation ship.

I think Metryq meant, why didn't the Kelvans reduce themselves to cubes for long term travel, with their equipment set to automatically restore the crew once it reached our galaxy.

The savings in life support system resources and food would be simply vast.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 04:52 PM   #14
CaptPapa
Commander

Trek Sifter wrote: View Post
CaptPapa wrote: View Post
In destroying the woman's cube, it gave a greater impact to the story - remember the context of the time.
I'd love to have this part elaborated on (I didn't live through the context of the time, by the way). If it was the woman that survived, it'd be a sort of damsel-in-distress situation--is the impact the fact that the situation didn't allow for woman-saving to occur? (Also, is it somewhat good/refreshing that the damsel-in-distress cliche was thereby avoided?)

I'm also wondering, what if it wasn't revealed right away who the survivor was?

Maybe is just me, but a woman's death has more impact than a man's does. It elicits more sympathy, and generates more loathing for perpetrator. Coupled with Kirk's obvious 'fondness for the ladies' this is the writer's way to clearly delineate the Kelvins as evil.
Old July 4 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Timewalker

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I think Metryq meant, why didn't the Kelvans reduce themselves to cubes for long term travel, with their equipment set to automatically restore the crew once it reached our galaxy.

The savings in life support system resources and food would be simply vast.
It would, but maybe there isn't any automatic switch on their belt gadgets? In any case, risking the whole crew in such fragile forms wouldn't be a very smart move. It takes hardly any effort at all to crush those polyhedrons.