Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 3 2013, 06:21 PM   #31
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The Lone Ranger

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And isn't it Hi-HO silver?
No, it's Hi-yo, Silver. Always has been.
Yup. "Hi-Ho" is Kermit the Frog's thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:28 PM   #32
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Erm..........The Lone Ranger is SciFi? Did they change the concept so much that we're talking about it in the SciFi forum?
Everyone was hoping it would be Cowboys and Aliens since Depp was in the film.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

I never hope anything is Cowboys and Aliens. That movie was dreadful.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:21 PM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral

I didn't think it was dreadful, just generic and by the numbers.
Old July 3 2013, 07:27 PM   #35
bbailey861
Admiral

Depp as Tonto was the reason I wasn't going to fork money over to see this film. I like Depp, but to cast him as a Native American Indian? Then to see some of the previews making it out to look like a comedy? No, thank you.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 09:11 PM   #36
J.T.B.
Commodore

No one will greenlit a western that big again. At best you're looking at a future with small 50 million dollar western movies
Well The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Appaloosa and True Grit were well below that, so that's fine by me.

Does Tonto even say "Kemo Sabe" once during this thing?
Yeah I heard some clips on the radio where he uses the term. Although apparently they changed the meaning from "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" to.... "wrong brother." Because now it's supposed to be a derogatory thing I guess.
Oh jeez, really? That just seems unnecessary. On the radio show the Ranger was as likely to call Tonto that as the other way around.

The Lone Ranger is considered a Superhero and this is where those movies are discussed.
He is? First I've heard of it. He has no supernatural powers nor any technology that's not available to any other lawman.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The Lone Ranger is considered a Superhero and this is where those movies are discussed.
He is? First I've heard of it. He has no supernatural powers nor any technology that's not available to any other lawman.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider him a superhero. I'd consider him more of a folk hero, similar to Zorro and the Four Musqueteers.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:37 PM   #38
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Appaloosa and True Grit were well below that, so that's fine by me.
Yup, those were all excellent so I'm not really worried about Lone Ranger doing any harm to the genre. $250 million was just a ridiculous amount for a western anyway.
Old July 3 2013, 11:38 PM   #39
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yup, those were all excellent so I'm not really worried about Lone Ranger doing any harm to the genre. $250 million was just a ridiculous amount for a western anyway.
Exactly. You don't put this kind of money up for an unproven commodity.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:24 AM   #40
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It's not like a western needs all that money in order to be made anyway, as Westerns are normally raw and basic instead of laden with in-your-face effects like most blockbusters.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:50 AM   #41
DWF
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Anyhow, funny you should mention Mask. Stephen Greydanus writes:
The main plot of The Lone Ranger steals from the original Mask of Zorro: White men plot to exploit and murder natives in order to steal the wealth of their land (silver rather than gold). There’s another corrupt General Custer cavalry type (Barry Pepper). Oh, and the patrician villain carries a torch for the hero’s woman (though in this case our hero himself is also carrying a torch for her, because she’s actually his brother’s woman).

Needless to say, the comparison only accents The Lone Ranger’s glaring deficiencies. The Mask of Zorro took nobility, honor and heroism as seriously as villainy: Anthony Hopkins’s Don Diego was a skilled, classy and cunning warrior, and Antonio Banderas played a scruffy rogue undergoing a grueling tutelage to become worthy of the mask of Zorro.

The Lone Ranger laughs at all this. John’s moral scruples make him ridiculous and naive, not admirable. His defining trait is not his morality, but his cluelessness.
Sounds almost Wild Wild West bad... and 43 minutes longer!
Seeing as how The Lone Ranger and The Mask Of Zorro had the same writers it's that unusual that there are simularities between the two.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 06:06 AM   #42
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Just saw it. Wasn't worried about a packed theatre either.

I would have loved to have seen a proper, big budget Lone Ranger movie, but the way the critics describe it makes it sound WAY too much like the Pirates sequels for my taste-- bloated, way too long, unnecessarily convoluted with too many boring subplots and side characters, and cartoonish, over the top action you don't believe a second of.

And the way they turned the Lone Ranger himself into a bumbling idiot just makes me want to punch someone.
Saved me the trouble. Actually, I didn't think it was bad, but what you just described is pretty accurate.

Does Tonto even say "Kemo Sabe" once during this thing?
Yeah I heard some clips on the radio where he uses the term. Although apparently they changed the meaning from "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" to.... "wrong brother." Because now it's supposed to be a derogatory thing I guess.
The way it played out made it seem like Tonto had a sense of humor and was just messing with Reid when he told him what it meant.

And apparently Tonto also makes fun of the "Hi-yo Silver" line as well, which is just... ugh.
Yep.

Gojira wrote: View Post
...Depp is playing Jack Sparrow as Tonto...
Yep.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; July 4 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
They way it played out made it seem like Tonto had a sense of humor and was just messing with Reid when he told him what it meant.
I should also add that Reid has a good follow-up line when he says… "Do you know what 'Tonto' means in spanish?" Look it up.

Despite the movie's problems, I do like the updated costume designs…

Fun Fact: Early Texas Rangers didn't have official badges. Some had them but they were custom made. Source. The one Reid wears was used by his father, who almost certainly had it made by a professional.

Depp's look was based on a painting called "I Am Crow" by Kirby Sattler.

The horse was one of the movie's highlights with its friendly look and amusing behavior…

Old July 4 2013, 03:55 PM   #44
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Despite the movie's problems, I do like the updated costume designs…

Three layers, including a jacket, is quite a lot for boiling desert sunlight...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:39 PM   #45
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ True, but maybe that's good attire for the colder months.