Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 5 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Captain Rob
Commodore

Re: Star Trek III - great rewatch value

I was a big "Taxi" at the time that ST3 came out. And I thought Loyd was perfect as Kruge. I love the scene on the planet after the Enterprise blows up and Kruge is screaming at Kirk through the communicator; furious about Kirk killing most of Kruge's crew. And Kirk's response is basically "Oops. Tough break for you."

And I almost forgot. The scene when Kruge leaves the bridge of his ship. Looks at his targ and then at Maltz. And says "Feed him."
Old June 5 2013, 08:37 PM   #17
ralfy
Lieutenant

Absolutely! TOS and some of the older films did well. The other movies and TV shows were sometimes bland in comparison.
ralfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Pauln6
Commodore

I think the whole Trilogy is great but there are some truly wonderful moments in STIII. Firstly - GO JANICE!! - I mean, go woman in cafeteria. Secondly, the whole section where they break out McCoy and steal the Enterprise was a joy. Thirdly, undoubtedly the most heart-wrenching death in Trek's history was the death of the Enterprise. My jaw hit the flaw.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 09:57 PM   #19
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

I've got to say, ST III is actually my least rewatched Trek movie, just barely above Nemesis which is in last freaking place.

It had a lot going on for it. I loved Lloyd as Kruge, the direction was great, the characters, the acting, all great. The story doesn't interest me enough to watch again, which is a shame because it deals with a major point in the Star Trek Universe as it pertains to our heroes.
Old June 6 2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Captain Rob
Commodore

Don't forget John Laroqette from "Night Court" as Maltz. Near the end when Kirk and co beam up to the BoP by tricking Maltz. Scotty and Chekov try to engage the warp drive but don't know how. Kirk orders Maltz to tell them how to engage engines and threatens to kill him. Maltz refuses: "I do not deserve to live." Kirk: "Fine. I'll kill you later."
Old June 6 2013, 11:27 AM   #21
Candlelight
Admiral

I like this movie because it was a diversion from Wrath of Khan, it didn't try and follow in its footsteps. Great music score, great character development and an explosive end for the 'old reliable'.

I think it was also my first Trek movie. I have memories of walking into the lounge and seeing my dad and brother watching it on TV. After this I discovered the TV series and wondered why the Enterprise looked different...

Hell, it was very likely my very first Trek experience.
Old June 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #22
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
TSFS is my favorite Trek movie out of all 12. Damned fine film with lots of heart, personal stakes and all around greatness. Also my favorite Trek movie score. 85 stars out of 5.
Agreed, although I love all the movies' scores to one degree or another.

And 3 will always be my favorite for one reason: It gave us Robin Curtis. For that alone, the movie should always be highly regarded.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 03:24 AM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

Agonizer wrote: View Post
TWOK is still my favorite of all the ST movies. TSFS is kind of "part 2" of the story. If I hadn't enjoyed TWOK as much as I do, I might give TSFS a higher rating. I like it, but it doesn't measure up to TWOK in my opinion.
I think TWOK is quite self-contained, despite all the sequel hooks right near the end. It can definitely be watched as it's own standalone thing. TSFS on the other hand is very much tied to the events of the movie before it, and by extension it still hasn't wrapped things up by the end, necessitating a further sequel to finish off the story.

On some levels TSFS and TVH are more closely linked than TWOK and TSFS, even though TSFS is a direct follow-up to TWOK.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 03:34 AM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
I think TWOK is quite self-contained, despite all the sequel hooks right near the end. It can definitely be watched as it's own standalone thing. TSFS on the other hand is very much tied to the events of the movie before it, and by extension it still hasn't wrapped things up by the end, necessitating a further sequel to finish off the story.

On some levels TSFS and TVH are more closely linked than TWOK and TSFS, even though TSFS is a direct follow-up to TWOK.
I agree. The shot of Spock's tube on Genesis is a nice teaser, but the film certainly could be viewed alone and enjoyed just as much without having seen the two subsequent movies.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 01:53 PM   #25
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TSFS is a big favourite of mine. Lots of things I lkie about it. For example the way it links back to TWOK with the line "the Kobayashi Maru has set sail for the promised land." And at the end they reverse the line about "the needs of the many". It's a very good script because it says you can't get something for nothing and to get Spock back they loose David and the Enterprise and get exiled basically.

And they blew up the Enterprise! Back in 1984 the movie never came to my cinema so I made do with the novel version. I remember sitting up in bed late at night, probably thinking "that's enough reading for one night, time to put the light out," and then I got to the bit where Kirk orders the ship to blow up.

Remember there was only one Enterprise up to that point. (No bloody A B C or D as Scotty would say.) One Enterprise. THE Enterprise. And they blew it up.

The effects are wonderful. Arriving at Spacedock, stealing the Enterprise, the BOP and the Enterprise blowing up.

The "stealing the Enterprise" sequence is very well put togeather.

Yes, my favourite odd-numbered Trek movie, any probably my third or fourth favourite overall.
chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:25 PM   #26
publiusr
Commodore

In some ways I liked it better than Wrath of Khan. It was more up-beat. With ST IV, the most accessible Trek movie to laymen pre-JJ, the Spock Trilogy was better balanced than the Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi being a huge let-down.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:53 PM   #27
Gojira
Commodore

I nver understood the negative reaction Trek III. It has so many exciting scenes and was evrything the original series presented. Spock's mind is inside McCoy's head, he needs to be taken back to Vulcan, Spock's body has been re-generated, Kirk and crew steal the enterprise, fight Klingons, blow up the enterprise...so much great stuff, what is not to like?
Old July 3 2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

As with every Trek movie there are things I like and things I dislike (some of the things I dislike actually started in WOK)

What I disliked
Kirk's Son as quickly as he is introduced he is killed off. The whole thing just felt really cheap to me.
Saavik (don't care who is playing her the character doesn't work for me)
Don't like the hokey sci-fi in this movie and the way Spock was brought back to life.

What I liked
Sarek, I actually saw him first in this movie (not the TV series) and I was so impressed with his performance
I also liked the little we got Dame Judith Anderson
Spock's Katra in McCoy and the many scenes involving this (also McCoy's speech about not wanting to lose Spock)
The enterprise scene
The strong themes of friendship in this film. I am in the process of reading Nimoy's autobiography and he used this quote from Henry V to explain the themes of the film and I think they sum up the movie perfectly and it is this theme that I really love about the movie.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:02 PM   #29
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

LOVE TSFS, my fourth favourite in fact.
Old July 12 2013, 10:30 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps part of why it works, is that it is a different style of film from TWOK.

And as others have mentioned ne of the best scenes is when they borrow the Enterprise.

"Don't call me tiny"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote