Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 3 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Mage
Commodore

Are the bluray's the versions where you can choose...

between TOS-R or the original versions?
Old July 3 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
trekker670
Captain

Re: Are the bluray's the versions where you can choose...

Yes
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Mage
Commodore

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Yes
Awesome, simple question, quick answer.

See, the dvd's might be somewhat cheaper, but I like that I can watch them both ways. It's going on my wish-list, just bought the Stardate Collection in BR, but this should be my next 'to buy'.
Old July 4 2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Yes, you can choose between the remastered episodes with the original FX or the remastered episodes with the new FX.
Old July 4 2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Mario de Monti
Captain

And you can also switch between old and new FX during the episodes using the "angle" button on your remote.
Old July 4 2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Oso Blanco
Commodore

From what I've heard, there are some episodes where this feature doesn't work correctly ... something about the new sound mix and the re-recorded opening theme still being there in the original version.
Old July 4 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
From what I've heard, there are some episodes where this feature doesn't work correctly ... something about the new sound mix and the re-recorded opening theme still being there in the original version.
It works fine on my sets.
Old July 4 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
trekker670
Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
Yes
Awesome, simple question, quick answer.

See, the dvd's might be somewhat cheaper, but I like that I can watch them both ways. It's going on my wish-list, just bought the Stardate Collection in BR, but this should be my next 'to buy'.
Happy to help. One note is that the recently Amazon has been having the complete series on BR for around $100. I've been seeing the series on DVD going for around $80, so it's not too much more expensive. Good luck on your purchase!
Old July 5 2013, 02:19 AM   #9
DaleC76
Captain

I've seen two different types of packaging for them. Any differences in content, special features, ect?
Old July 5 2013, 03:07 AM   #10
trekker670
Captain

Do you mean for the DVDs? The original release of the DVDs came in a case like these and contain the original episode as they originally aired (albiet cleaned up quite a bit and look pretty good). The newer release come in cases like these and contain the remastered episode and the same special features as the HD-DVD and Bluray releases, except they contain only the remastered versions (without the option to view the original release)
Old July 5 2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Mario de Monti
Captain

As a matter of fact I had such an instance the other day on Shore Leave. Thought it was a problem with my player, though.

Greetings to my native town
Old July 5 2013, 06:53 PM   #12
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Yes, but if you don't have a Blue Ray player, and only have DVD, both versions are available in separate season sets. This is how I have them. I'm still dissapointed that they won't (for now, anyway) do this for the TNG remastered sets.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Mage
Commodore

The packaging I found is this, http://www.bol.com/nl/p/star-trek-th...2004013046781/ for 75 euro's. I don't care that much about packaging, so if I can get the entire series for only 75 euro's (96 dollars) I'm happy. But since I just got the Stardate Collection in BR, I'll have to wait till next month.
Old July 5 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Hober Mallow
Commodore

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yes, but if you don't have a Blue Ray player, and only have DVD, both versions are available in separate season sets.
Except that the remastered episodes with original FX are not available on DVD, AFAIK. With bluray, you get the original episodes with the original FX remastered in HD.

I'm still dissapointed that they won't (for now, anyway) do this for the TNG remastered sets.
They can't do that for TNG. Unlike with TOS, which was mastered on film and only needed to be rescanned in HD, TNG episode masters don't exist on film. They have no choice but to reedit the episodes from scratch and add some new FX. With TOS, there were film masters of the original episodes with all the original FX, but not for TNG.
Old July 6 2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
As a matter of fact I had such an instance the other day on Shore Leave. Thought it was a problem with my player, though.

Greetings to my native town
I don't know in which thread I read about those errors, but it was somewhere on this board. Maybe someone can shed some light on this matter.

So, you're from Berlin? Mario de Monti, eh? You know what, a few years ago I had a job right around the corner where the actor who played this character lived. Saw him lots of times and I really had to hold myself back not to ask him to sign an autograph. But this was his private life, and I think it would have been very inappropiate to bother him.