TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 3 2013, 02:26 PM   #136
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Pingfah wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Why should it matter to a cashier whether they are being payed attention to or not if such attention is not actually required to complete the transaction?

Why isn't it considered rude to take somebody away from their personal business when there is no need to?
Then why should it matter to the customer if the assistant doesn't give them their full attention? Customers expect quite rightly that the person assisting them gives them their full attention. It's not unreasonable that the asssitant would expect the same curtesy.
Perhaps you don't understand the concept of being employed to do a job, versus that of being a customer somebody is employed to serve?
They're employed to provide a service, they're not serfs to be taken for granted.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:27 PM   #137
Pingfah
Admiral

Oh I fully understand, it's just that I was brought up with good manners and feel it is only right to give my attention to the person serving me.
But that has nothing to do with the cashier's need to pay attention to the customer, which is something they are paid to do. A cashier doesn't pay attention to a customer because they have good manners, they do it because that is their job. The equivalency you suggest does not exist.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

They're employed to provide a service, they're not serfs to be taken for granted.
This is hyperbole, taking a phonecall while you are also chucking things in a bag is not treating someone like a serf or taking them for granted, it is letting them do their job while you get on with what you want to do.
Old July 3 2013, 02:34 PM   #138
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Oh I fully understand, it's just that I was brought up with good manners and feel it is only right to give my attention to the person serving me.
But that has nothing to do with the cashier's need to pay attention to the customer, which is something they are paid to do. A cashier doesn't pay attention to a customer because they have good manners, they do it because that is their job. The equivalency you suggest does not exist.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

This is hyperbole, taking a phonecall while you are also chucking things in a bag is not treating someone like a serf.
Hyperbole is feeling that folks who need to respond to that cell phone like Pavlov's dog should just have the thing nailed to their heads. Civility is not hyperbole, nor is enabling selfish and callow disregard of others something I care to support.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:43 PM   #139
Pingfah
Admiral

Selfish and callow disregard?

Ramping up the hyperbole even further hasn't really made your point. We are talking about a minor social foible here, not treating somebody like a slave, or insulting them. Some people are just very busy. Not me as it happens, but I certainly don't think less of people just because they want to take a phone call at a checkout.
Old July 3 2013, 02:50 PM   #140
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I agree, it's minor in the overall scheme of things. But that doesn't make it not wrong.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 03:04 PM   #141
Pingfah
Admiral

I'm all for general politeness, and I would certainly never be rude to somebody, I just don't like it when I am expected to act a certain way just so somebody doesn't take offense at me, which is how I see this issue.

As a matter of practicality, I wouldn't take a phone call at a checkout, but if somebody can do it without causing a delay, they can go right ahead as far as I am concerned. And yes I have worked as a cashier, although not when mobile phones were ubiquitous, granted.
Old July 3 2013, 04:44 PM   #142
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Came across this news story

Cashier refuses to serve customer who is on mobile phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23158579

Now whilst i think it was wrong to refuse the customer service, I would say that the customer was being rude by not giving the cashier their full attention. If the roles had been reversed and the Cashier was on the phone, the customer would likely consider the cashier rude. It works both ways.
Agreed on all counts.
Old July 3 2013, 06:56 PM   #143
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Why should it matter to a cashier whether they are being payed attention to or not if such attention is not actually required to complete the transaction?

Why isn't it considered rude to take somebody away from their personal business when there is no need to?
Then why should it matter to the customer if the assistant doesn't give them their full attention? Customers expect quite rightly that the person assisting them gives them their full attention. It's not unreasonable that the asssitant would expect the same curtesy.
Perhaps you don't understand the concept of being employed to do a job, versus that of being a customer somebody is employed to serve?
Wow, Pingfah, I'm truly surprised by this. Certainly we're all people who are equally worthy of respect and attention in such a transaction? Usually you've got a good take on things IMO, but not this time.

A cashier is not just a computer there to serve your superiorness.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:30 PM   #144
Pingfah
Admiral

That's unfair, i'm not trying to put anybody down or advocating treating anyone unpleasantly, i'm just pointing out that a cashier is actually paid to pay attention to the customer. If they ignore you, to the detriment of the transaction, that's a deriliction of their professional duty to you, it's not at all the same as the customer not paying attention to them. It was him drawing a direct equivalency I was complaining at.

Certainly I advocate treating everybody with respect, my point here is that nobody has provided a reason why it is bad manners to be on the phone while being served, as long as your actions are not slowing the process down. "It's common courtesy" and "I was raised to be polite" are not convincing arguments, they are just appeals to tradition.

The customer has eyes as well as ears, they can see if the cashier requires their attention, if they ignored the cashier when they needed their input that would be rude. But I don't see who or what is served by the customer standing there paying attention to them scanning shopping, if they have something better to be doing.

Is it also discourteous to talk to the person standing next to you? Or is it only when your conversational partner is disembodied that it's rude not to be paying full attention to the cashier?
Old July 3 2013, 07:53 PM   #145
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Putting aside the fact that Pingfah is clearly a monster who does not value those beneath him, I'd say the phonecall scenario is slightly rude. It depends on a lot of things, like if you are buying three items at a grocery store, or if you are placing some complicated order or at a doctor's office or something. The more routine the transaction, the more understandable it is.

People just need to be understanding in both sides of it. If you're a cashier, don't assume that the phonecall is something unimportant. Maybe I've just had a call returned that I've been waiting on for a week. If you're the customer, don't multitask people when you don't have to.

If I have a call I can't put down and have some routine transaction going on, I'll move the phone for a second and apologize to the cashier, and make sure I'm paying attention to the transaction. It's not ideal, but it's not unforgivable either.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:56 PM   #146
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

Wow, Pingfah, I'm truly surprised by this. Certainly we're all people who are equally worthy of respect and attention in such a transaction? Usually you've got a good take on things IMO, but not this time.

A cashier is not just a computer there to serve your superiorness.

Mr Awe
Christ, you'd think he shot your dog or something. Get a little perspective here.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 09:08 PM   #147
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^huh? By pointing out that politeness should be shown both ways?!
Old July 3 2013, 09:16 PM   #148
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

No, by acting all shocked like he said something horrifying, and making hyperbolic assumptions that he thinks he's superior to cashiers or considers them automatons. Plus, using the roll-eyes emoticon. That's like the DefCon One of emoticon escalation.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 10:14 PM   #149
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

"Emoticon Escalation." I believe that's the new album from Kraftwerk?
Old July 3 2013, 10:40 PM   #150
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
No, by acting all shocked like he said something horrifying, and making hyperbolic assumptions that he thinks he's superior to cashiers or considers them automatons. Plus, using the roll-eyes emoticon. That's like the DefCon One of emoticon escalation.
I wasn't shocked. As I stated, I was surprised because I usually agree with Pingfah. I still think he's an intelligent poster and I enjoy his posts. I just disagree with him on this issue.

My view is that politeness should be a two-way street. It doesn't matter that the cashier is paid to be there. They're still people on an equal level with the costumer.

You're the one supplying the hyperbole.

Mr Awe