Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 2 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
StCoop
Commodore

BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Or rather Michael Grade did when he came back in 2004 as Chairman of the BBC and Mark Thompson when he came in as Director-General (also in 2004).

Wankers.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ie/2013/0...-relaunch.html
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

The worst enemy that the Doctor has ever faced was Michael Grade.
Old July 2 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Doctor Who's most dangerous does isn't the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran's, Silurians even the Time Lords but Michael Grade the former are a walk in the park.

So Mr. Grade doesn't like Sci-Fi well tough I do as do a lot of other License fee payers. And guess what your charter says you have to cater to all tastes.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:06 AM   #4
diankra
Commodore

Clearly this is all rubbish. Michael Grade states very clearly in the charity book Behind the Sofa that if Russell T Davies had come to him with his 'sensational' new take on Doctor Who, he'd have commissioned it himself.
And when Grade returned to the BBC in 2004, it was as the first head of the BBC Trust, which had been specifically created to avoid the overlap between overseers and management that had led to the abolition of the Board of Governors. So for him to try and second-guess the actual programme makers... well, it would be inconceivable. As inconceivable as there being any truth in Private Eye's suggestions that people involved in Pinewood had an interest in suggesting that Television Centre couldn't be successfuly refitted for the HD age and had to be shut down.
Clearly, everybody involved in this documentary must have been on drugs when they shot it to come out with such rubbish...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Snick27
Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
Clearly this is all rubbish. Michael Grade states very clearly in the charity book Behind the Sofa that if Russell T Davies had come to him with his 'sensational' new take on Doctor Who, he'd have commissioned it himself.
And when Grade returned to the BBC in 2004, it was as the first head of the BBC Trust, which had been specifically created to avoid the overlap between overseers and management that had led to the abolition of the Board of Governors. So for him to try and second-guess the actual programme makers... well, it would be inconceivable. As inconceivable as there being any truth in Private Eye's suggestions that people involved in Pinewood had an interest in suggesting that Television Centre couldn't be successfuly refitted for the HD age and had to be shut down.
Clearly, everybody involved in this documentary must have been on drugs when they shot it to come out with such rubbish...

Or maybe you are just WRONG!!!
Old July 3 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
diankra
Commodore

Snick27 wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post

Or maybe you are just WRONG!!!
Knew I should have used the sarcasm emoticon.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 03:26 AM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Old July 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #8
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Going back to series 1, the image quality is pretty gross actually. Whose decision was that, I wonder? Was it a camera filter that gave things a blurry halo a lot of times or did they shoot the series on video or something?
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:42 AM   #9
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

AFAIK, they shoot the series on video and add filters to make it look like film, yes.
Old July 3 2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Sci
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Depends. If they intended to broadcast it in French in Quebec, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Old July 3 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
Depends. If they intended to broadcast it in French in Quebec, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Nice thought but given that Doctor Who is regularly dubbed for other languages I have a feeling that isn't the case. Probably a way for CBC to justify co-producing the season by trying to have more Canadian content.

Doctor Who in French
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Starkers
Admiral

Lots of planets have a Canada apparently...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Ironic because I usually picture Canadian's having more common sense! Yikes!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Lots of planets have a Canada apparently...
Just wait until 11 eats fish fingers in maple syrup.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:01 PM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
Obviously they need to re-dub the dialogue to present the show in another language, but the implication of the article is that CBC wanted to re-dup it with a Canadian actor for the English version. After all why would RTD object to re-dubbing for the French version? For that matter, why would only Eccleston be re-dubbed if it were the French version they were talking about?

Last edited by The Wormhole; July 4 2013 at 01:09 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote