RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,774
Posts: 5,216,904
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 650
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 2 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
StCoop
Commodore
 
BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Or rather Michael Grade did when he came back in 2004 as Chairman of the BBC and Mark Thompson when he came in as Director-General (also in 2004).

Wankers.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ie/2013/0...-relaunch.html
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

The worst enemy that the Doctor has ever faced was Michael Grade.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Doctor Who's most dangerous does isn't the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran's, Silurians even the Time Lords but Michael Grade the former are a walk in the park.

So Mr. Grade doesn't like Sci-Fi well tough I do as do a lot of other License fee payers. And guess what your charter says you have to cater to all tastes.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:06 AM   #4
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Clearly this is all rubbish. Michael Grade states very clearly in the charity book Behind the Sofa that if Russell T Davies had come to him with his 'sensational' new take on Doctor Who, he'd have commissioned it himself.
And when Grade returned to the BBC in 2004, it was as the first head of the BBC Trust, which had been specifically created to avoid the overlap between overseers and management that had led to the abolition of the Board of Governors. So for him to try and second-guess the actual programme makers... well, it would be inconceivable. As inconceivable as there being any truth in Private Eye's suggestions that people involved in Pinewood had an interest in suggesting that Television Centre couldn't be successfuly refitted for the HD age and had to be shut down.
Clearly, everybody involved in this documentary must have been on drugs when they shot it to come out with such rubbish...
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Snick27
Captain
 
Snick27's Avatar
 
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

diankra wrote: View Post
Clearly this is all rubbish. Michael Grade states very clearly in the charity book Behind the Sofa that if Russell T Davies had come to him with his 'sensational' new take on Doctor Who, he'd have commissioned it himself.
And when Grade returned to the BBC in 2004, it was as the first head of the BBC Trust, which had been specifically created to avoid the overlap between overseers and management that had led to the abolition of the Board of Governors. So for him to try and second-guess the actual programme makers... well, it would be inconceivable. As inconceivable as there being any truth in Private Eye's suggestions that people involved in Pinewood had an interest in suggesting that Television Centre couldn't be successfuly refitted for the HD age and had to be shut down.
Clearly, everybody involved in this documentary must have been on drugs when they shot it to come out with such rubbish...

Or maybe you are just WRONG!!!
__________________
That awkward moment when your killed by you wife, in front of your wife, who then precedes to kill your wife, while your best friend is off to the side pregnant with your wife. Doctor Who!
Snick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Snick27 wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Clearly this is all rubbish. Michael Grade states very clearly in the charity book Behind the Sofa that if Russell T Davies had come to him with his 'sensational' new take on Doctor Who, he'd have commissioned it himself.
And when Grade returned to the BBC in 2004, it was as the first head of the BBC Trust, which had been specifically created to avoid the overlap between overseers and management that had led to the abolition of the Board of Governors. So for him to try and second-guess the actual programme makers... well, it would be inconceivable. As inconceivable as there being any truth in Private Eye's suggestions that people involved in Pinewood had an interest in suggesting that Television Centre couldn't be successfuly refitted for the HD age and had to be shut down.
Clearly, everybody involved in this documentary must have been on drugs when they shot it to come out with such rubbish...

Or maybe you are just WRONG!!!
Knew I should have used the sarcasm emoticon.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 03:26 AM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #8
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Going back to series 1, the image quality is pretty gross actually. Whose decision was that, I wonder? Was it a camera filter that gave things a blurry halo a lot of times or did they shoot the series on video or something?
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:42 AM   #9
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

AFAIK, they shoot the series on video and add filters to make it look like film, yes.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: State of Maryland/District of Columbia
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Depends. If they intended to broadcast it in French in Quebec, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
__________________
This dream must end, this world must know:
We all depend on the beast below.
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Sci wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Depends. If they intended to broadcast it in French in Quebec, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Nice thought but given that Doctor Who is regularly dubbed for other languages I have a feeling that isn't the case. Probably a way for CBC to justify co-producing the season by trying to have more Canadian content.

Doctor Who in French
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Lots of planets have a Canada apparently...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Ironic because I usually picture Canadian's having more common sense! Yikes!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Starkers wrote: View Post
Lots of planets have a Canada apparently...
Just wait until 11 eats fish fingers in maple syrup.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 08:01 PM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: BBC tried to stop production on New Who twice!

Sci wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Co-producers of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) wanted to redub Christopher Eccleston (pictured right) with a Canadian actor,
Ho. Lee. Fuck. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Depends. If they intended to broadcast it in French in Quebec, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Obviously they need to re-dub the dialogue to present the show in another language, but the implication of the article is that CBC wanted to re-dup it with a Canadian actor for the English version. After all why would RTD object to re-dubbing for the French version? For that matter, why would only Eccleston be re-dubbed if it were the French version they were talking about?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.

Last edited by The Wormhole; July 4 2013 at 01:09 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.